Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese seaweed for hair: Funori

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Japanese seaweed for hair: Funori

There is a type of seaweed or algae that was traditionally used as a shampoo or hair pack by wealthy Japanese women in the past (apparently poor women could not afford it).

The seaweed is called Funori and the botanical name for it is Gloiopeltis furcata.

I have found some for sale, marketed as "Organic Japanese Seaweed Hair care powder" at a price I am not going to pay, but the website provides some interesting details about how this powder can be used.

Here are links:

https://wawaza.com/products/Organic-...re-Powder.html

https://wawaza.com/pages/How-to-Use-...air-Care-.html

So, has anyone at LHC used it? If so, please let me know how you found it.

I'm going to try and find some of the dried Funori via seaweed suppliers and use it to make my own seaweed hair shampoo rather than purchase this expensive stuff.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Japanese seaweed for hair: Funori

I have never used seaweed myself, but have heard that it is amazing for the hair when eaten (especially when it comes to increasing growth rate). I would definitely love to try a homemade hair mask with it - when I get some spare money, I'll make one. I feel like ground up dried seaweed could be mixed easily into henna, or maybe added to a SMT.

Will keep my eye on this thread!

Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
    I feel like ground up dried seaweed could be mixed easily into henna
    Aeris, that is a fantastic idea. I have Bladderwrack powder and some Kombu (dried kelp). I will definitely add these to my next henna treatment in a couple of weeks time.

I'm happily researching all the different types of algae (seaweeds) at the moment .
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

I second it would be better to eat it, there's supposed to be alot of good vitamin, mineral and iodine for hair growth. I eat seaweed sometimes, but I don't think I eat it enough to see the results - so I've been thinking of using chlorella, kelp and spirulina powders in a smoothie

Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lastnite View Post
    I second it would be better to eat it, there's supposed to be alot of good vitamin, mineral and iodine for hair growth. I eat seaweed sometimes, but I don't think I eat it enough to see the results - so I've been thinking of using chlorella, kelp and spirulina powders in a smoothie
    The thing with eating it is...iodine...which affects the thyroid. Anyone with thyroid issues should not eat it. Those without a thyroid problem can of course benefit from the nutritious qualities of seaweed.

The "ancient" Japanese used seaweed as a shampoo so that is what I am exploring. I am more and more intrigued by the fact that this 100% seaweed shampoo is available to buy today.

I might just bite the bullet and order it from Japan...oh what the heck, off I go to eBay to spend some money, LOL.

Length
    3"/CBL/MBL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Othala View Post
    The thing with eating it is...iodine...which affects the thyroid. Anyone with thyroid issues should not eat it. Those without a thyroid problem can of course benefit from the nutritious qualities of seaweed.

The "ancient" Japanese used seaweed as a shampoo so that is what I am exploring. I am more and more intrigued by the fact that this 100% seaweed shampoo is available to buy today.

I might just bite the bullet and order it from Japan...oh what the heck, off I go to eBay to spend some money, LOL.
    Did the funori work? I was thinking about using it to wash my hair.

Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaria View Post
    Did the funori work? I was thinking about using it to wash my hair.
    Yes, it cleaned gently and I didn't need to use conditioner afterwards. I think this is something that one could use exclusively for a few months with good results. My scalp was very happy with the treatment and some got onto my facial skin and it was lovely.

I don't think FuNori would work if you use conditioners, serums, hairsprays and other products that may build up.

Quote Originally Posted by lastnite View Post
    ...so I've been thinking of using chlorella, kelp and spirulina powders in a smoothie
    Yes to Carrots body butter has spriulina. I use it for a facial moisturizer and my skin loves it. It's the absolute best moisturizer I have ever used. Whenever I have a bit of extra money I stock up because I'm afraid they'll discontinue it. So I suppose spirulina would be great for the insides and hair, too.

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Decades ago when Lush were still Cosmetics To Go selling mainly via mail order, I used to use a seaweed shampoo whose name I forget.

I cross the road to avoid Lush stores now because the smell is so overpowering, but I see they do make a shampoo with (different kind of) seaweed.

Seanik shampoo bar

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Length
    SHLDR/MIDBK/TAILB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
    Decades ago when Lush were still Cosmetics To Go selling mainly via mail order, I used to use a seaweed shampoo whose name I forget.

I cross the road to avoid Lush stores now because the smell is so overpowering, but I see they do make a shampoo with (different kind of) seaweed.

Seanik shampoo bar
    Ingredients to to that bar you posted:

Quantitative Ingredients

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Irish Moss Gel, Perfume, Nori Seaweed, Fine Sea Salt, Lemon Oil, Mimosa Absolute, Orange Flower Absolute, Jasmine Absolute, Cocamide DEA, *Limonene, Colour 42090

Made me laugh my ass off with how they describe what it does to hair. The salt and mineral richness that they posted made me frown. Mineral build-up bad and I don't imagine salt is very good for your hair (is it?)

I am curious to look into seaweed cleansers though. I am almost out of baby shampoo (after that 3 bottles for 7 bucks deal they had on, totally awesome lasted me 6 months.) and am looking to do more experimenting to find perhaps an even better alternative. I absolutely love eating seaweed salad. mmm.. mm.. I think I shall look up on this and keep coming back to this thread.