Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yak Combs

Default Yak Combs

I found a lot of Yak combs on Ebay, made from their horn. Are they any good?

Does anyone know how they are made? I wouldnt like to get one if the animals suffer (ie like the Rhino) in any way.

Much Thanks
    Purdy

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Yak Combs

Quote Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
    I found a lot of Yak combs on Ebay, made from their horn. Are they any good?

Does anyone know how they are made? I wouldnt like to get one if the animals suffer (ie like the Rhino) in any way.

Much Thanks
    Purdy
    Purdy,
    Think of Yaks like cows that live in high altitudes. They are raised as beasts of burden but also for their meat, milk, hair, skin (leather), and every other part that can be used, including the horns. Yak Horn is a byproduct of a "farmed" animal so you can use it without guilt unless you are personally against killing animals for use.

As to whether or not they are good....I was wondering that myself since I am trying to get away from plastic combs.

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I love my horn combs. They've really eliminated most of my static and mine are smooth and nice to use.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by HairColoredHair View Post
    I love my horn combs. They've really eliminated most of my static and mine are smooth and nice to use.
    What she said!

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Thanks I feel a lot better getting one now. I just need the hair to go with it! LOL!

Cat in a Human Disguise rapunzhell13's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HairColoredHair View Post
    Where did you get yours? Did they come seam-free or did you have to sand them down or anything? I am a horn comb n00b.

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rapunzhell13 View Post
    Where did you get yours? Did they come seam-free or did you have to sand them down or anything? I am a horn comb n00b.
    I got my horn comb from TSTSNBN (the site that shall not be named) BUT I hear that the Heavenly Harvest ones are just as nice.

I did not have to sand mine at all, it came beautifully smooth. Most of the photos of horn combs I see are very similar in smoothness. Including the ones on ebay and the ones by quecraft. Although, it looks like quecraft's shop doesn't have anything listed there now. I saw a very nice horn comb by them for 5 dollars!

HTH.

PS. TSTSNBN is such because they contacted LCH and were upset with some of the reviews they were getting from us here and now we don't speak negatively, nicely or at all about them!

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Length
    SL/40"/??
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I get mine from qllp2000 on Ebay. I love their combs. So smooth. I own several different kinds of horn combs and those are my favorite.

Cat in a Human Disguise rapunzhell13's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenly Locks View Post
    I got my horn comb from TSTSNBN (the site that shall not be named) BUT I hear that the Heavenly Harvest ones are just as nice.

I did not have to sand mine at all, it came beautifully smooth. Most of the photos of horn combs I see are very similar in smoothness. Including the ones on ebay and the ones by quecraft. Although, it looks like quecraft's shop doesn't have anything listed there now. I saw a very nice horn comb by them for 5 dollars!

HTH.

PS. TSTSNBN is such because they contacted LCH and were upset with some of the reviews they were getting from us here and now we don't speak negatively, nicely or at all about them!
    Thanks for replying. These things get me so curious! Would it be permissable to PM me the name of the company? Although by the sounds of it I'm not sure it's a company I'd like to support. Checking out Heavenly Harvest as we speak...

Length
    33/33/class
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I got mine off eBay as well. I use my Bath and Body wooden comb for detangling, and the horn comb has tines that are closer together for smoothing and for my scalp. I looooove it! Mine has a raw horn edge as well. It looks very organic, and awesome. It was very seamless, so i did not have to do any sanding or altering. I switched to combing only, but was missing that lovely/weird scalp scritching I got from brushing, so I got a horn comb, and it feels soooo gooood on my scalp! And it smooths styles and distributes oils just as well as my brush did.
    Lady Grainne
    Handmaiden to the Goddess Morrigan
    In the Order of the Long Haired Nights