Thread: Am I being unreasonable?

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Am I being unreasonable?

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Feye's method. Won't help much with layers, but will get the ends and will probably help you wait till you see your sister.

Length
    32/32/44
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I had a friend trim my hair, it cost about $25-30. That was almost a year ago so I can't quite recall. I am of the opinion that if it is JUST a trim I can pull it over my shoulder and nip it down. But then I've had a hairdresser grab a handful of dry hair and lop off eight inches before even STARTING to even it out so I am really neurotic about it. If you think the going rate for your area (which I assume you've called around to compare) is too much...over-the-shoulder trims are always your option, most hairstylists aren't going to reduce their price.

As an example, I work in a doctor's office. You come in totally healthy and wanting a check up. Our fee is $150. Doesn't matter if you are full of problems or totally healthy, you get the SAME fee. It's what we consider to be fair compensation for our time. You have to decide if you feel it's fair and if you don't think it is (I personally cringe at paying that much for a tiny trim) you need to think of another method.

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Come over. I will do it for you! If you don't want to drive all the way to Colorado wait for your sister, it's silly to pay that much. Just add a little more leave in to your ends till they can be trimmed.

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Thanks everyone for your suggestions I'm sorry if I don't get back to everyone individually but I have read all of your posts. Like I said in my original post I am a very frugal (and sometimes cheap) person, especially when it comes to my hair. I have used the self trimming method before and it has worked great for me when I'm cutting straight across. The layers are a whole different story! I have been growing them out and my hair isn't damaged and I have little to no splits (from what I can tell) but I just wanted a tiny trim to keep them nicer looking and healthy. So I suppose I have a new question. Since I am growing out my layers, would it be best to completely leave them alone while they catch up? I've basically been doing that this past year and they have grown a lot.

Like everyone has been saying, $30 is not a bad deal. And I agree. But for me it's just a bit too much when I don't desperately need a trim. I will never expect to get a decent haircut for $10 at a salon - EVER. lol I know that is completely unreasonable. I suppose I have just been used to my sister trimming my hair for me at home and she takes 10 minutes to do it. I hope everyone understands where I'm coming from and no one thinks I'm being naive.
    Shoulder/APL/BSL/MBL/Waist/Hip/Tailbone

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by Seeshami View Post
    Come over. I will do it for you! If you don't want to drive all the way to Colorado wait for your sister, it's silly to pay that much. Just add a little more leave in to your ends till they can be trimmed.
    Colorado is a bit far, but thank you! Haha

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

You're Welcome!

And letting your layers catch up is the best way to get them gone.

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by Seeshami View Post
    You're Welcome!

And letting your layers catch up is the best way to get them gone.
    So it would be best to not trim them at all?

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Ravenwind, do you happen to be Bay Area? I could help you.

I'd drive to CO for that offer! But, I really want to go home, too.

Your other option, lightly touched on, is a barber.
    Someone who specializes in men's cuts.
    Like dry cleaners, male-oriented hair cutters tend to charge less. Less add-ons, too.

I had a woman in Colorado who I saw for eyebrow waxing (blond in one eye means I always over pluck one side. Paying is better) twice a year, she would even up my self trims.
    Sure, I'm standing on a milk crate and everyone in the salon is watching, but she charged me $15. I tipped well, (and I always tipped for time served in a restaurant) and we were both happy.
    She asked about my nonstandard hair care, and explained some science behind standard hair care.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post
    Ravenwind, do you happen to be Bay Area? I could help you.

I'd drive to CO for that offer! But, I really want to go home, too.

Your other option, lightly touched on, is a barber.
    Someone who specializes in men's cuts.
    Like dry cleaners, male-oriented hair cutters tend to charge less. Less add-ons, too.

I had a woman in Colorado who I saw for eyebrow waxing (blond in one eye means I always over pluck one side. Paying is better) twice a year, she would even up my self trims.
    Sure, I'm standing on a milk crate and everyone in the salon is watching, but she charged me $15. I tipped well, (and I always tipped for time served in a restaurant) and we were both happy.
    She asked about my nonstandard hair care, and explained some science behind standard hair care.
    I live in Southern California, in the desert area unfortunately. The thing about going to a barber is I'm worried they also won't be able to trim the way I want it since they mainly specialize in men's haircuts, right? Lol
    I even rarely get my nails done because I think it's cheaper to do it myself. It doesn't look as nice, but I get the job done xD
    $15 doesn't seem so bad for a trim.

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I wish hair stylists would charge only 30$, the cheapest I can find around here is 75$ - and that is no matter how little the trim is!!!

Being on a tight budget, I invested in a crea clip and a hair scissor, and now my mom cuts my hair for free. Way cheaper, and she actually do a better job than any hair stylist I have had before.
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC