Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hemline/faerie tale ends help?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Hemline/faerie tale ends help?

I would suggest you start by just trimming your hair in a mild V hemline or with a compact cut. The compact cut for layers will probably give you results closer to fairytale ends. I'm not familiar with the braid trimming technique, but it strikes me as something that could give bad results if you're not familiar with it.

Here are the instructions for Feye's self trim. This is probably the method that most LHCers who cut their own hair use.

Here's a recent thread about doing a "compact cut" for layers. The technique is very similar to the one Feye describes for a straight-across cut, but the difference is that you comb your hair forward and make the ponytail at your forehead instead of at the back of your head.

Whatever you do, don't cut too much. Snip off a little (maybe 2 inches for the compact cut, since you'll be making layers), check the results, and trim a little bit more if you want to. Keep rechecking, and don't worry if it's a little uneven. No one will be able to tell.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    24 in/48in/term
    Type
    1b/F/i

Feye's self trim method is almost fool proof. You'd have to really TRY to mess it up. Just trim it millimeter by millimeter and you really can't go wrong. Although trimming and fairy tale ends generally don't mix! They only happen naturally when you don't trim. When I began growing, I had a very layered BSL cut and had my hairdresser cut in fairy tale ends and it looked completely natural. Make sure you consult with the hairdresser thoroughly begore she starts cutting to make sure she knows what you want! I was able, through self-microtrimming, to even out the rest of my layers gradually without losing substantial length all at once, to have a blunt U hemline.

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Yeah, just trim your hair in a basic V or U shape first before trying to do more things with fairy-tale ends.

I'm probably one of the very few who do anything resembling my "trim the braid tassels" method, because it's flying in the face of what most people here do--I do it to let my waves hang better and GET RID of thickness, but most people want a blunt cut for thicker-looking hair.

If your hair isn't as thick as mine (3-4 inch ponytail), you probably shouldn't try this until you're used to trimming your own hair and are used your hair's qualities.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Thank you
    I would love to get this look, but my hair is thick (4" ponytail) with a slight wave 1b/1c I think, would it look right?

Would it be a good idea to get my hairdresser to cut my hair into a layered v shape and then maintain the shape myself if I just want a little trim? I really don't want to come away with hair three inches shorter though as I am so close to my goal length.

Length
    Chin/Waist/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Thick wavy-staight, here! That picture shows a deep V very similar to my hair cut, just longer, and for what it's worth I love it ^_^ It brings out the waves really nicely.

Self trimming is easy as pie, it is just taking the plunge that's scary. I don't see many people here who have had disasters.
    Maintaining at tailbone - Henna head - Recently reunited with cones - Forever destashing - Kitten enthusiast

Length
    32/42/44
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I think the picture looks more like a deep V cut than fairy tail ends really. It's the whole head of hair that tapers in that photo, rather than individual clumps or strands. I think if you asked for or gave yourself a V cut then left it for a couple of months you would get what you want

Grew from shoulder to thumb length in 7 years without trims. Now maintaining.
    There once was a girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very, very good. But when she was bad she was horrid.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Here's a recent thread about doing a "compact cut" for layers. The technique is very similar to the one Feye describes for a straight-across cut, but the difference is that you comb your hair forward and make the ponytail at your forehead instead of at the back of your head.
    This is what came to my mind first. Haven't tried it myself though.

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Thank you for all the help
    I think I will get my hairdresser to cut my hair into a v shape while trying to keep my hair as long as possible.
    I'm nervous about getting it cut as I haven't since November and really don't want to lose length.

Does a v shaped cut help make thick hair more manageable?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by aforestfae View Post
    Does a v shaped cut help make thick hair more manageable?
    I'm not certain (don't have a V or thick hair ), but I'm not convinced that it would. As with all layered cuts, when you go to put it up, you're going to end up with layers sticking out. With a cut like the picture, I'm imagining braids that look like centipedes. It probably will look very nice down and will have less weight to it, plus a lot of movement. However, you'll find that around here a lot of us consider how well we can wear our hair up, because many of us do keep it up much of the time.

That said, it's a gorgeous picture. If that's the cut you want, take the pic (or better, several like it) to your hairdresser. Indicate on your body where you want the shortest layers and the longest to be. Be explicit and be prepared to walk out with it half-done if the hairdresser isn't following your instructions. (And if they do, be sure to tip well!)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!