Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To HENNA or NOT...

Length
    20 in/28.5/33
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default To HENNA or NOT...

I just purchased henna from LUSH and was eager to put it on my hair right away. So, I was telling my co worker that I will be hennaing my hair with one of the famous Lush bars. She looked at me puzzled and told me that that was the worst thing I could do to my hair, she told me about the hell her cousin went through after applying henna to her hair. According to her cousin, she went to the hair salon to get her hair dyed for her sisters wedding and they couldn't do anything for her. She would have to wait until she grows out the henna(which might take years!!)

Is this true? If I do decide to henna my almost tailbone length hair will I not be able to ever dye it until I grow it out?

What has your experienced been with henna?

I know the henna from LUSH is not 100% pure henna, but I am still afraid to use it. What would your advice be?
    Thank you all sooo much and have a <3ly day

Length
    Chin/Shldr/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: To HENNA or NOT...

I dye and henna alot.. the only issues ive had is lightening henna.. it is hard to lighten, but not impossible.. and as far as darkening, no issues at all.. the dye takes better to hennaed hair than un-hennaed.. the hairdresser just didn't want to chance it maybe?
    Lady Verisiel of the Triskle Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~ Current Mini Goal: APL by DEC 2013

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

That's not true at all. First off- Lush henna fades a bit. Second- you CAN dye over it. It is hard to lighten however.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

If it isn't 100 percent pure henna, be sure you know what the other ingredients are mixed with it.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    That's not true at all. First off- Lush henna fades a bit. Second- you CAN dye over it. It is hard to lighten however.
    This.. i dyed over henna , and henna'd over dye multiple times, and it isnt the worst thing you can do to your hair AT ALL.Your hair will look better than ever
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

~Blonde to the Bone~ Shermie Girl's Avatar
    Length
    Too/Effin/Short
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anisaa View Post
    I just purchased henna from LUSH and was eager to put it on my hair right away. So, I was telling my co worker that I will be hennaing my hair with one of the famous Lush bars. She looked at me puzzled and told me that that was the worst thing I could do to my hair, she told me about the hell her cousin went through after applying henna to her hair. According to her cousin, she went to the hair salon to get her hair dyed for her sisters wedding and they couldn't do anything for her. She would have to wait until she grows out the henna(which might take years!!)

Is this true? If I do decide to henna my almost tailbone length hair will I not be able to ever dye it until I grow it out?

What has your experienced been with henna?

I know the henna from LUSH is not 100% pure henna, but I am still afraid to use it. What would your advice be?
    Thank you all sooo much and have a <3ly day
    I don't believe that Lush henna is pure henna. Please check the ingredients list and know what you are putting in your hair.

Henna is permanent. Some hennas, usually those that are a blend of some kind will fade some but once henna has really bitten into the hair and you have built us some saturation, it is impossible to completely remove it. It can be lightened; a process that is difficult and potentially damaging or will destroy your hair. The only way to completely get rid of it is to grow your hair and cut it away.

If you want to dye darker over henna, that is doable. Going lighter, however is more difficult. you will need to fade the colour as best you can then dye a lighter shade but you will always have that red/orange cast to your hair.

If you are hesitating over henna, don't do it. Not until you know that being a beautiful redhead is what you really, really want.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around)
    Proud Bottle Blonde!

Length
    Pixie/8/30
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

i was a little hesitant myself and just today (it's still in my hair) i'm using the Lush Caca Brun. i finally just plunged in and did it. from the research i've done on this forum and other places they say it's best to use henna coloring rather a box of color.

but i really don't know myself....i'll find out in a few hours!!

Length
    chin/waist/knee
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Henna is fine until you try to lighten or remove it. Then the horror starts!
    Lady Branwen of the Sunlit Glory
    COMFORT THE DISTURBED. DISTURB THE COMFORTABLE.

Length
    chin/25"/30WL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

The first time I used Lush Henna it washed out after 3 months, the 2nd it's faded quite a bit, i don't find it very permanent in my hair.
    17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24APL - 25 - 26 -27BSL - 28 - 29 - 30WL

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Alrighty yes and no.

I have henna in my hair. I have turned around and dyed it a few weeks after henna. I have damage because it was dyed/stripped multiple times in quick succession because I am a stupid idiot that is stubborn and impatient and really really want my natural hair color back for my wedding. (Not all people who dye their hair are stupid idiots, I love you please don't think I am saying hair dye is stupid and idiotic, I am stupid. I am the idiot)

My hair is not green, I would probably be pleased with my stupidity if it was. My hair has not fallen off of my head or broken off. In the end it comes down to products from what I understand and many many many strand tests. Honestly you have to think about henna like marriage. Only there is no possible divorce from henna unless you grow it out. Or at least that's my case.

Yes I spent what I remember of 22 years of my life wanting to be a red head, yes when I finally got what I wanted I had a change of heart and that happens. I don't want to scare you off but really REALLY think about it. Henna heads are beautiful, so are natural heads, so are the awesome dyed colors and regular dyed colors. In the end it all comes down to what your willing to live with.