Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burgundy Henna Recipe?

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Question Burgundy Henna Recipe?

Hello everyone I need some help. I need a recipe for Burgundy Henna. I have naturally dark brown/black hair. And I want a Burgundy color not really red but very deep Burgundy. Right now I have been doing plain cassia treatment for conditioning. I looked on the boards but really did not find a burgundy recipe. I do not want to buy, all ready mixed Burgundy henna. I have a local store that sell plain Henna and I wanted to know what else I can use to put in the Henna. I am not sure if I should use Indigo because like I said my hair is very dark brown to black. In the past when I used plain Henna it come out way to red, and that is what I am trying to avoid. I also looked at Hennaforhair and did not find really a burgundy colors. Any help on what to put in the henna recipes would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Burgundy Henna Recipe?

Yemen henna from hennaforhair.com made my hair REALLY burgundy, but I think my starting colour is lighter than yours. It's not as light as my avatar, more a medium brown.

Your hair looks quite dark in your photo - I would think you'd get a burgundy glow in the daylight, but it might look brown indoors (as did mine, mostly). I expect it would look good though.

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Hmmm to get a burgandy color on dark hair imwondering if henna is the medium you want to use. I dont know alot abotu henna for hair use so pardon my ignorance on this. Are you using heann to acheive color or conditioning? If your using it for color i think there might be better alternatives, if your using it for conditioning im not sure if some of my suggetions will help as ive never tried them in henna before.

Some things you can add in that might help are beet juice (from powder, fresh, or canned), hibiscus, and alkanet (though be sure to read up on the safety issues of alkanet before diving in). Some i havent experimented with yet in any form are concentrates like bluberry juice/pulp and dark cherry juice/cocentrate which might help offset the intensity of the red from henna. I would think beet juice would be your safest bet as ive seen that dye reliably on medium/dark brown hair to a burgandy color (when my SIL was pregnant she mixed canned beet juice with level 10 developer to aid penetration) but as i said im not sure how it would behave with henna. Ive used hibiscus powder in my cassia mix and achieved a nice purple/pink sheen on my old dark brown dye but thats really my only experiance outside of glosses.

Sorry if this is a little choppy im not feling so awesome this week. Good luck!
    Natalia

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Theoretically, Yemeni henna will go burgundy if applied often enough, or so I have been told. I have used it 4 times and not had it get burgundy yet, but the last two were more glosses than full applications. My main complaint is that my roots are still orange and will be orange as the newest growth will always have the least exposure. I look dreadful in orange. Bleh.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    20"/20"/40"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Catladyintown,
    Check out hennahut.com they have a Burgundy already made up.... and it works no chemicals...
    I personally love their henna.
    Last edited by Star Eagle; March 12th, 2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling wrong

Length
    15"/23"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Hey Catlady, I have very dark hair too, I got a burgundy colour from henna by doing a lot of full-head applications. I've lost count now of how many I've done, I used to do them every week, then stopped for a while, then started again. My hair is shorter, but maybe if you used the pony-tail method of application it won't be so much of a hassle for your long hair.
    I also mix amla and bhringraj sometimes to make the colour darker, but I don't think it's permanent. I use Rajasthani henna, it's the only one available here. Hope I helped!

ETA Come to think of it, it really also depends on the lighting, and the burgundy shows up very well when I use flash when taking photos. I'm thinking that it shows better under artificial lighting than sunlight, where it's more glowy and red. Not as red as it used to be though.
    Last edited by hmmm; March 12th, 2010 at 04:37 AM.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Thank you everyone for your help. Hi Unofficial_Rose I might try Yemen but I get a great deal at my local health for store for just plain Henna. Natalia that is a great idea using beets. Plus I have a great juicer that I can use fresh beet juice. Natalia I mainly will be using Henna for coloring. Right now I use Cassia for conditioning with bhringraj powder and amla. Thanks Ravenreed and Star Eagle I looked at Hennahut but I want to try and stay with using my local henna because it so much cheaper. Hmmm what is the pontail method? What type of henna did you use? Thanks

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    Hey Catlady, I have very dark hair too, I got a burgundy colour from henna by doing a lot of full-head applications. I've lost count now of how many I've done, I used to do them every week, then stopped for a while, then started again. My hair is shorter, but maybe if you used the pony-tail method of application it won't be so much of a hassle for your long hair.

Tell me more about this pony-tail method please, I'm intrigued...

I think with hair as dark as yours, Catlady, it should be easier for you to get a burgundy - I'd just keep doing applications until you're happy with the color.

Length
    15"/23"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Its basically putting your hair in a ponytail and putting henna on the pony. Then you cut the ponytail cos its not possible to get it out any other way, put henna on the roots and the rest of the hair. It simpler than doing it any other way.
    I use Rajasthani henna.

Length
    10/15/?
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

My mom gave me this receipe and it works if done frequently. Its fenugreek 2tsp and tea 2tsp in hot water and soaked and grinded in a blender smooth. When ever i cook beets, i store the skins in the freezer, i boil a few for atleast 20min and cool the water, then i add the mixtures together. Sometimes i even add a 1/2 tsp of cloves....Keeping it for 3 hours or more gives the shade....but it also depends on the henna.