Thread: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pariate View Post
    Hello!
    Quote Originally Posted by pariate View Post

I'd say yes. I use cone-free conditioners for my CO but even they can build up after a while. You need to clarify every so often (I usually do it every 6-8 weeks, depending on how my hair looks and feels) to prevent build up. While LHC was down I fell in to very bad habits and forgot lots of important points about my routine! I hadn't clarified my hair since December and my hair looked thin, lifeless and felt like a brillo pad! I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong... until I posted an SOS on LHC and had lots of COers tell me that it sounded like build up and I probably needed to clarify! I used a clarifying shampoo today. My hair is almost dry and I can already see a HUUUUUUUUUUGE improvement.

Hope that helps

My only concern is they will dry my hair out! My hair is very dry and fragile, and the CO was a huge improvement- only the top is driving me nuts. Do you think I could try just a bit of a gentle shampoo? - Garnier Nutrisse for colored hair always worked well for me.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I can't do it today because I have the itchies and feel like I need a good, deep clean, but I think I'm going to try CO again.

Can anyone suggest a light cone-free conditioner that has no animal testing (and no animal ingredients)?

My only complaint with the CO/the conditioners I've tried is that - like with ilovemycop - the results aren't consistent. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's not so much

By that I mean with the first few CO washes, the hair will look great, and I can skip a day between washes, but after a few times it will start to look greasy with less and less time after the wash.

Is that normal? I'm curious how often other CO'ers need to wash their hair.

Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by intothemist1999 View Post
    By that I mean with the first few CO washes, the hair will look great, and I can skip a day between washes, but after a few times it will start to look greasy with less and less time after the wash.

Is that normal? I'm curious how often other CO'ers need to wash their hair.
    I CO everyday for 5 days (Mon-Fri). Then I shampoo/condition on Saturday. Yes, it does get limper a bit quicker everyday. That's why I throw in the shampoo once a week.

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by AJoifulNoise View Post
    I CO everyday for 5 days (Mon-Fri). Then I shampoo/condition on Saturday. Yes, it does get limper a bit quicker everyday. That's why I throw in the shampoo once a week.

Thanks, Joiful! I'm going to give that a try!

Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics

Length
    10/15/...
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Hey everyone. I'm back to CO'ing, thank goodness ! I've neglected my hair by going back to shampoo for the last 4-5 months and now can appreciate the benefits of CO'ing. So never again!! My ends were so split and knotted, and uneven and there was so much shedding (the shedding, however, due to a combo of stress, perimenopause and crappy diet), that I couldn't take it anymore and chopped of 6 inches. It's so much healthier looking now and there is much less tangling.

My hiatus from CO'ing has helped me reevaluate my length goals and I no longer want to go beyond BSL. It is better to have pretty, manageable curls than long knotted, split unhealthy looking hair.

I use the cheapie stuff, Suave Vanilla Floral or Coconut and unrefined coconut oil.
    Lady Rizos upon the Dark Night in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    short/clasc/term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I see a lot of you talking about buildup and periodic clarifying just being part of life with CO -- does that mean that using a conditioner that gives me buildup is ok for my hair as long as I clarify when it starts getting icky? I've been worrying lately that I'm doing some kind of damage to my hair by sticking with the VO5 stuff I love so much, because it gives me buildup after a month or two.

Also, does anyone have any tips for reducing buildup in general? I've been using a tiny bit of diluted shampoo in my routine because CO doesn't quite get my hair clean enough, but I don't think it's doing the trick for getting rid of buildup.

1c/2a/F/ii/iii -- trimmed the scraggly ends from knee back to classic.

Type
    2c/M/ii

I've been COing for 6 years now, after reading the Curly Girl book. Stupidly, I didn't pay attention the importance of ingredients, and especially cones. I washed and left in the same dimethicone conditioner while my hair grew from a 1" buzz cut, to almost waist length stretched. However as it got longer it was terribly dry, so frizzy I had to wash it every day or it just looked like a poofball, and thin at the ends and easily broken, not at all the way it used to be. I blame this on -cone build-up and damage (although of course I subjected my hair to other ill-treatment as well).

ANYway I have stopped using cones, seen a huge improvment in my hair, and hope to gradually grow it out thicker and healthier, using more natural products. I still faithfully CO wash - usually with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, or with Burt's Bees Grapefruit or Green Tea when my hair gets a bit greasy from too long with the HR. I also use Burt's Bees condish as a leave-in.

Length
    shldr/bsl/bsl
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I started CO washing over a year ago. At first it was not working, in that my hair seemed greasy and limp. But then a couple of technique changes helped make it better and I have had no problems since. Here's what I do:

1. I did clarify before starting. I used Neutrogena Anti-residue shampoo because that is what I had before, but I think many shampoos would fit the bill. I have heard good things about Suave Daily Clarifying. I think most any shampoo with ALES would work to clarify.

2. I rotate between several cone-free conditioners (I like to choose something according to my "mood" for that day's washing), and I tend to avoid the ones with protein, using them only once in a while in my rotation. My favorites are in the Suave Naturals line, including Aloe Waterlily, Cucumber Melon, Mountain Strawberry, Ocean, Waterfall Mist, Tangerine (a new one). I also like Suave Daily Clarifying conditioner. Another conditioner I really like is Trader Joe's Nourish Spa--I dilute this with water at about a 1:4 ratio and I love the silkiness and "lather" I can get with this. I've tried several of the VO5 conditioners that many prefer, but I just wasn't lovin' the fragrance of any of them (except the Kiwi Lime Squeeze is okay).

3. I apply the conditioner to sopping wet hair in the shower. First I apply a palmful to the bangs and top of my head. Another palmful goes to the temples and sides. Then I tend to tip my head down and apply another palmful to the back of my scalp, from the nape to the top along the back. A final palmful goes to the length and ends.

4. This was one of the keys for success for me: work in the conditioner really well, all over, using the pads of my fingers and massaging pretty vigorously (but not too hard!).

5. I let the conditioner sit in my hair while I complete the rest of my shower, to include shaving, etc.

6. This was another key for me: I put my head under the showerhead really quickly, like 1 second's time, just to get more water into the conditioner on my hair. I then work the conditioner through my hair some more, like a good shampoo massage. Then I put my head back into the flow of the water and continue massaging to rinse well.

7. I CO wash every other day. For the off days I like to still wet my hair in the shower.

8. I do shampoo about once a week, either using the CWC method or S&C. I use a sulfate-free shampoo (Queen Helene Mint Julep currently) and follow with a nice moisturizing conditioner (my favorite is Biolage Conditioning Balm). My hair does not look its best on a shampoo day, but I like the resulting feel of it. It tends to give my hair that little extra bit of cleaning, and provides more body.

So I am very happy with CO washing as my primary cleansing method and plan to continue with it. My hair has no splits, and feels nice and soft as a result.
    Last edited by Stacy_E; April 11th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.
    Cut back from waist to BSL--I like here and I think I'll stay awhile 2c/f/ii

hairstuff gallery Stacy's nature photography

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I see a lot of you talking about buildup and periodic clarifying just being part of life with CO -- does that mean that using a conditioner that gives me buildup is ok for my hair as long as I clarify when it starts getting icky?
    Clarifying is not really the same if we're not talking about silicones and other things that are very challenging to wash out. I can use really, really heavy conditioners that are silicone-free but really plant-oil-laden. If I overuse those, a vinegar rinse will just fix it right up.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by amaiaisabella View Post
    Do you think I could try just a bit of a gentle shampoo? - Garnier Nutrisse for colored hair always worked well for me.
    If it works for you then go for it Whilst I am a huge fan of CO, I know it's not necessarily right for eveyone! Even the people who love it have occasional problems with it, as my experience this week proves. Lots of people modify the "classic" CO routine to suit their hair and their lifestyles.