Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stringy hair :(

Length
    38"/52''/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Unhappy Stringy hair :(

I have always had wavy/curly hair, but only recently (the past 2 years or so) has my hair become like spaghetti strands. No matter what curling method I try (all heat-free, of course) my curls break apart and get stringy. My hair is like seaweed! I've tried wide-toothed combs, fingercombing, and the Tangle Teezer (which does make my hair a bit stringier) and they all do the same thing. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is this just how certain hair types are? I wish for once my curls would just stick together.
    "Mira que si te quise, fué por el pelo. Ahora que estás pelona, ya no te quiero." - Frida Kahlo

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Stringy hair :(

Do you use cone heavy products? My hair likes cones but if I use really cone heavy shampoo's and conditioners it can make my hair seperate and stringy.

Length
    26/25.5/28
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by IvanaGil View Post
    I have always had wavy/curly hair, but only recently (the past 2 years or so) has my hair become like spaghetti strands. No matter what curling method I try (all heat-free, of course) my curls break apart and get stringy. My hair is like seaweed! I've tried wide-toothed combs, fingercombing, and the Tangle Teezer (which does make my hair a bit stringier) and they all do the same thing. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is this just how certain hair types are? I wish for once my curls would just stick together.
    You should post a list of your routine up. Sounds like a build up of product or oil. When mine gets stringy I do the Conditioner/honey/aleo deep treatment to get rid of it. Seems to work well.
    Hair September 2015

Length
    BSL/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

You might have buildup. Try a clarifying shampoo and see what the results are?

Length
    38"/52''/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

My routine is:
    Was and condition every day or every other day with Aveeno's sulfate-free line
    Coconut oil everyday. And I do an ACV rinse every time I wash, which I thought was clarifying?
    That's pretty much it. I don't use products besides the poo and conditioner.
    Can you guys recommend a clarifying shampoo? I have no idea how I would identify one if I saw one.
    Last edited by IvanaGil; June 22nd, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
    "Mira que si te quise, fué por el pelo. Ahora que estás pelona, ya no te quiero." - Frida Kahlo

Sober Lush Extraordinair AnqeIicDemise's Avatar
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

My routine is:
    Was and condition every day or every other day with Aveeno's sulfate-free line
    Coconut oil everyday. And I do an ACV rinse every time I wash, which I thought was clarifying?
    That's pretty much it. I don't use products besides the poo and conditioner.
    Can you guys recommend a clarifying shampoo? I have no idea how I would identify one if I saw one.
    Suave's clarifying shampoo I heard is very good. I'd probably take the lazy route and do a baking soda wash to save a buck or two since I have baking soda at home. V05 has another good clarifying shampoo & conditioner.

eye haelp mama kiep londry waerm.
    BSL|WSL | HP | not quite there CL |
    Moonstruck Tresses

Length
    38"/52''/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AnqeIicDemise View Post
    Suave's clarifying shampoo I heard is very good. I'd probably take the lazy route and do a baking soda wash to save a buck or two since I have baking soda at home. V05 has another good clarifying shampoo & conditioner.
    How do you do the baking soda wash?

Length
    26/25.5/28
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

How do you do the baking soda wash?
    I'd try the clarifying shampoo and see if it gets rid of the strings. I found that oiling made my hair stringy. Heidi did post a while ago a video on how to put oil in your hair. You only do it after shampooing and only 3 drops of oil or the equivalent in coconut oil. No more oil until you shampoo again.

I was loading up my hair.
    Hair September 2015

Length
    38"/52''/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbrumby View Post
    I'd try the clarifying shampoo and see if it gets rid of the strings. I found that oiling made my hair stringy. Heidi did post a while ago a video on how to put oil in your hair. You only do it after shampooing and only 3 drops of oil or the equivalent in coconut oil. No more oil until you shampoo again.

I was loading up my hair.
    Oh wow that's probably my problem then! I've been oiling my hair like 3 times a day because my hair just drinks that oil right up. And I've been using popcorn sizes of coconut oil. Oops!

Length
    2"/28.5"/none
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

You may also want to try going a bit longer without shampooing. I only wash my hair once or twice a week and noticed a HUGE difference in the overall health of my hair. I also use organic shampoo and conditioner, which could actually fall in the "no 'poo" category. It's from Aubrey Organics and uses peppermint and rosemary, which are really good for the scalp.

For the baking soda rinse I believe it's 1tsp for every 8oz of warm water. Following up with a lemon juice rinse is a great way for conditioning hair, but I'm not positive on the ratio for that.