Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surely dry shampoo sprays are as damaging as hairspray?

Length
    APL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Surely dry shampoo sprays are as damaging as hairspray?

It's something i've been thinking over for a while.
    Having read this http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=79 some time ago i've learned just how drying the alcohol and harsh chemicals in hair spray can be for your hair. Surely dry hair spray such as batiste has the same effects? I was just curious for an answer as i know a few people here use such products.
    ( i'm not critisising anyone in the slightest what works for some doesn't for others etc etc.. )

Thank you.
    Last edited by daaisychains; November 2nd, 2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: wrong format.
    Goal: Waist length hair, then maintain until hemline thickens. Avatar taken :1stFebruary 2011

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Surely dry shampoo sprays are as damaging as hairspray?

I'm not sure. I think many of them act more like an aerosolized powder so maybe not. Not a clue though, so it's just a guess.

Length
    APL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    I'm not sure. I think many of them act more like an aerosolized powder so maybe not. Not a clue though, so it's just a guess.
    I'm unsure since i don't use them myself.
    I know obviously the use of coco powder or baking soda isn't damaging as it isn't coating the hair.

I just figured that the sprays coat the hair in the same way the dry shampoos do. Hmm
    Goal: Waist length hair, then maintain until hemline thickens. Avatar taken :1stFebruary 2011

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Dry shampoos can be just as drying as hairspray, but the one big difference is that they don't have the polymers that make the cuticles of your hair stick together. So they don't cause the kind of mechanical damage that can result from too much hairspray; that's the kind of damage that is shown in the photos in Nightshade's article. Dryness is reversible, mechanical damage is not.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Dry shampoos are powders and clays and such. Don't think they can be likened to hairspray?

As for alcohol, there are good, fatty alcohols that don't harm the hair, you just need to make sure you have the right ones. Some good ones are: Lauryl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, Myristyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol and Behenyl alcohol.
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Length
    APL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Thanks once again for clearing that up for me.

This site is so knowledgable.

Length
    SL/WSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

That is a good question, and it prompted me to get out the bottle of Klorane that I keep at the office. It was my emergency solution when I started CO-washing and had oily scalp days (fyi, I'm mainly CWC now... stupid oily scalp!).

I don't remember it being too drying, but then I only used it near the scalp/roots. However, it would build up on the scalp something fierce and make my sebum issues even worse. I don't whether the alcohols are "good" or "bad", but based on the following ingredients (and the strong scent), I think I'll just toss the tiny amount remaining. Thanks for bringing this up!

Klorane Gentle Shampoo with Oat Milk 3.2 oz ingredients:
    Butane, Propane, Isobutane, Rice Starch, SD Alcohol 39-C, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Oat Kernal Oil, Cyclodextrin, Cyclomethicone, Fragrance, Isopropyl Myristate, Silica

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I regularly use the Batiste dry shampoo and don't find it drying and I don't get build up off it. I've never read the ingredients, but the can is right by me so:

Butane, Isobutane, propane, rice starch, alcohol denat, parfum, limonene, linalool, distearyldimonium chloride, cetrimonium chloride, CI77491, CI77499

Lucky I don't smoke!

Hairspray is a bother for me because I don't like brushing it out. I prefer to just CO wash it out then CWC before I brush my hair again! It's easier to just not use hairspray.

I don't tend to get dry hair so much as I get oily hair so I am totally sure this is a YMMV case, like everything.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I actually use dry conditioner and it seems to make my hair softer, but I have to be careful to wait for it to dry before putting my hair up- otherwise it gets the kinks and snarls that my hair gets when I put it up wet. Otherwise, it's very good
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    ear/BSL29/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

wow I have never heard of dry conditioner!!

I am a semi regular user of dry shampoo and I haven't seen any damage from it yet, I just dont like how they encourage you to brush your hair vigorously to get rid of the whiteness I think that would be damaging!
    Instead I rub my fingers through gently to get rid of most of it, then I dampen my fingers slightly and rub again that takes care of the white streaks in my dark hair hahaha