Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarifying shampoo?

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Clarifying shampoo?

I use either baking soda or dish soap. Yes dish soap. Shampoo and dish soap are very similar, but dish soap is more designed to cut grease and I always have some on hand. Just don't use very much.

Here's how I use baking soda: dissolve 1 tsp baking soda in 1 cup hot water. Pour over scalp and hair, working it in as I go. Rinse well. Then mix 1 tsp vinegar (any kind, or lemon juice) in 1 cup water and rinse my hair with it to restore my hair's pH.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    13/30,7/30
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Faery View Post
    Try this link: http://www.exnaturalproducts.com/hai...erbal-shampoo/
    I hope it works. This shampoo has ALS in it and not too many extra ingredients. As near as I can tell, it's sold in Sweden.
    Yeah I think it is But I don't think I can get it in the nearest store, and since I'm a student I try to not order that much over the internet since it's so expensive. But I'll keep looking

Quote Originally Posted by MissAlida View Post
    You don't need to buy a special clarifying shampoo. You could use any shampoo you've got, put about 2 tbs into a bowl and add some baking soda to it. I'm sure you have some home. You can add 1-2 tbs. After you clarified with this, and washed it out of your hair, I advice you to dilute 1 tbs white vinegar/lemon juice/ apple cider vinegar (either one) in 2 cups of water, and rinse with it. This will restore the optimal pH of your hair. You can rinse it out or leave it in. I usually rinse it out with cold water. It gives great shine.
    I'll try that next time I clarify! I actually tried the vinegar rinse a while ago, and my ends felt really dry and brittle afterwards But it'll probably not hurt to try it again

Length
    13/30,7/30
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Phalaenopsis View Post
    How cool is that! I'm learning Swedish, so maybe I'll sign up one day.
    A little bit off topic, but can I just ask why you're learning Swedish of all languages? I mean, it's not the most popular one. In my opinion it's actually quite ugly I like english much more

Length
    28 in/29 in/term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Neutrogena clarifying shampoo =) I use it very sparingly...and maybe once every couple of weeks (even before LHC).

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

i found it very hard to find a clarifying shampoo in then UK (all i could find was a huge bottle of the pantene one which was expensive), so i went for the cheapest option and bought some baking soda/bicarbonate of soda since i hardly ever need to clarify

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I use Prell and follow with Ion Swimmer's shampoo b/c I have hard water.
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Length
    8/4/24
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I really like "Clean Canvas" Clarifying shampoo. My stylist used it after I killed my hair to remove the chemical residue. I also used to use Tresseme Claifying shampoo

Length
    11,8/27,2/34
    Type
    1c/M/ii

In danish clarifying shampoo is called "dybderensende shampoo". I guess it must be something familiar to that in swedish..
    You should be able to buy clariying shampoo at a hairdresser or in a shop mainly selling beautyproducts.
    Shoulder.....APL.....BSL....Waist

Quote Originally Posted by MissAlida View Post
    You don't need to buy a special clarifying shampoo. You could use any shampoo you've got, put about 2 tbs into a bowl and add some baking soda to it. I'm sure you have some home. You can add 1-2 tbs. After you clarified with this, and washed it out of your hair, I advice you to dilute 1 tbs white vinegar/lemon juice/ apple cider vinegar (either one) in 2 cups of water, and rinse with it. This will restore the optimal pH of your hair. You can rinse it out or leave it in. I usually rinse it out with cold water. It gives great shine.
    This is a homemade recipe and fails to mention the importance of conditioning in the wake of clarifying with a homemade recipe that uses Baking Soda. That is very important to replace what has been removed from the hair. If you strip out the oils and the moisture, then you must replace it. Otherwise, you can end up with really dry hair that behaves funny. That would not mean that clarifying did not work; it may mean in actuality that it did work, but one needs to condition as part of this kind of hair wash. Not everyone's hair responds well to ACV rinse as kind of moisturizing the hair. ACV is mostly for re-setting the pH of the acid mantle (scalp skin). If you have light colored hair, do not use ACV; instead, use white vinegar or lemon juice diluted the same as ACV--around 2-3 Tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice in an 8 oz cup of water.

For those in the US, other countries tend not to use teaspoon, Tablespoon, so the shorthand for these kind of terms can be lost on people from other countries. They may well be working in grams as a unit of measurement, when it comes to cooking kind of measurements, or in centimeters or meters when measuring units of distance. Something to keep in mind.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

~Blonde to the Bone~ Shermie Girl's Avatar
    Length
    Too/Effin/Short
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Springpaw View Post
    Hi you all!
    I'm kind of a newbie here, and I'm still learning lots!

Well, I'll get right into it! I kind of have a problem finding a clarifying shampoo... It might be really obvious, but here in Sweden it doesn't say "clarifying" on any of the bottles which I think makes it kind of hard So are there any special ingredients I should look for on the bottle or any I should stay away from?

I'm grateful for any answers
    Any clear or semi clear shampoo with sulphates and no silicone will clarify your hair just fine. The label doesn't have to say "clarifying" to do the job.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around)
    Proud Bottle Blonde!