Page 95 of 238 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your Paranda/Parandi

Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Show me your Paranda/Parandi

I find I'm beginning to be buried in parandas! They are so comfortable to use and they protect my hair like nothing else - really love them.

However, can't really figure out how to get them to work with French or dutch braids. I've got my parandas fitted onto seamless pony elastics, so they work well with styles you start off with pony tails.

Any thoughts or advice?
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

When I work mine into my dutch braids there is a little struggle but not too bad. I think I've worked out a good system... First I brush out my hair, make the first three sections, do three rounds, and then I clip the baby braid with a little claw clip. I grab the paranda, section it out, and then grab the clip holding the braid and take it out. Then I put the beginning of the paranda (mine don't have elastics on them, though...) under the braid and clip the claw back on, holding it all firmly. I work one part of the paranda in each pass for the next three passes, and then I just work in hair from each side after that. After I'm done, I release the claw clip and I'm done!

I hope that helps.
    It is what it is. You are what you it. There are no mistakes. - Tom Robbins

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lillithnight View Post
    I wonder if someone could make these with bulk braiding hair. My kinky curly hair would object to the use of wool, acrylic, or cotton yarn. I know I could get away with silk yarn or possibly bamboo yarn. But since I wear my hair curly or stretched via braid out or twist outs I thought that textured braiding hair would look more natural. My bsl hair I hardly ever flat ironed so the braid hair would blend better I think.
    Yep you sure can. I made myself one and its super long I can get a floor length braid out of it...too chicken to wear it outdoors though..Lol.
    Lady Calaelen of Eden's Nook Designer of Fetching Forks in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Pixie/24in/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I really need to make some new ones, I've outgrown all of mine!

Lady Ennostiel, Sage of Foal & Leporidae of the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/Hip+/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PixieKitten View Post
    I really need to make some new ones, I've outgrown all of mine!
    So do I! I never made more than two simple ones, I sort of forgot about them.. And now they are beginning to be too short (yay!)
    Hmm, I still want to make a fancier one with different textures.. I have a 20% off coupon at a craft store, maybe now is the time!
    Currently at: 34,5" ~ Forever trimming away thin ends ~ Next Goal: 35" BCL
    Hennahead | SLS & 'Cone Free | Grainiac

Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TiaKitty View Post
    When I work mine into my dutch braids there is a little struggle but not too bad. I think I've worked out a good system... First I brush out my hair, make the first three sections, do three rounds, and then I clip the baby braid with a little claw clip. I grab the paranda, section it out, and then grab the clip holding the braid and take it out. Then I put the beginning of the paranda (mine don't have elastics on them, though...) under the braid and clip the claw back on, holding it all firmly. I work one part of the paranda in each pass for the next three passes, and then I just work in hair from each side after that. After I'm done, I release the claw clip and I'm done!

I hope that helps.

Thanks, TiaKitty. Think I'll make a couple w/o the elastics and try out your system.

Using that clip could really help, as trying to hold in the paranda while attempting to braid it in with the hair usually causes give up the now out of control attempt!
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I *think* I finally figured out how to put a photo in a post! Here goes!

The paranda is the cowrie tassels on the side, which are each on a black cord. It was given to me by a friend, and I'm so glad to have finally figured out how to wear it!

The silver bit braided in is just a thin, mesh scarf. I'd love to have a fabric metallic paranda to take it's place someday, though. I'll have to keep an eye out. I think the fabric of this scarf does a better job of hiding the scraggly ends of my braided hair than the yarn paranda I made recently. (No photos of that one yet. I haven't managed to get it to look good yet.)
    Just a crazy craftaholic! ^_~ http://craftaholicadventures.blogspot.com/
    Longest: Classic. Shortest: Chin length. Currently: Waist.

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

swords & roses - that looks amazing

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Amazing, swords & roses! SOOOOOOOOO beautiful.
    It is what it is. You are what you it. There are no mistakes. - Tom Robbins

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Thanks! Dance performance: the only time my hair gets done up all impressive-like. You should see how puny my bun is without a scarf to beef it up!
    Just a crazy craftaholic! ^_~ http://craftaholicadventures.blogspot.com/
    Longest: Classic. Shortest: Chin length. Currently: Waist.