Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone ever try to discourage you?

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Does anyone ever try to discourage you?

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    You're in your pajamas and you look like a mermaid... this is exactly why I love long hair.
    Exactly

Length
    Chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

My mum thinks I look "ugly" and "old-fashioned" and "you look better with shorter hair because long hair doesn't suit your face". My hair is shoulder-length, She used to have longer hair before she cut it a few months ago.

She never complains when my hair is up and styled - she only says these things when it's down and un styled, since I don't bother when I'm bumming around the house. It's super annoying and hurtful.
    Breathe Deep, Seek Peace

Length
    3"/8"/48"
    Type
    2a/C/iii

I am just starting to grow my hair, and because I haven’t succeeded in the past, no one believes I’ll do it now. I get a lot of "Sure, whatever. We'll believe it when we see it. You'll whack it off again!"

... but that was before I started CO washing and found TLHC! Now I want to try for terminal, just to see how long it'll get!

Length
    BSL/Waist/CLSSC
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

I, recently, had a guy I really liked go, "Eww, no. That's too long!!" When I told him about my goal to have Classic length. It was a little hurtful. :\

Everyone else [my family, close friends and even strangers] LOVES my hair. I've had a lot of people [usually elderly women] come up to me and gush about how much I resemble a doll. xD [My hair is 3a and WL]

It doesn't matter what others say, in the end. It's my hair and I'm going to let grow and grow and grow. ;]

Length
    BSL/Waist/CLSSC
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Finnenna View Post
    My mum thinks I look "ugly" and "old-fashioned" and "you look better with shorter hair because long hair doesn't suit your face". My hair is shoulder-length, She used to have longer hair before she cut it a few months ago.

She never complains when my hair is up and styled - she only says these things when it's down and un styled, since I don't bother when I'm bumming around the house. It's super annoying and hurtful.
    I can see why that would be hurtful. To think that your hair is SL and she says this, already. :\ I don't know if she has realised this but fashion, nowadays, is a lot more experimental than it use to be. Who's to say what's 'old-fashioned' and what isn't? It, actually, seems old-fashioned to THINK that something is old-fashioned. lollz ;P

Don't let others deter you from your goals, with a few harsh/insensitive words. I'm sure your hair looks lovely, now and will look lovely once you reach your goal. :D

Length
    BSL/TB!!!/Clssc
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

I was shocked as I read through this thread and how many tasteless things people have said. What disturbs me even more is that people don't see anything wrong with saying hurtful things when an opinion was never solicited in the first place! Why do so many strangers and mere acquaintances assume that their opinions really matter to us? I think a lot of it has to do with ill-breeding.

I almost always get profuse compliments that overflow like bouquets, and the only ones who I would say significantly pester/pestered me about my hair are my mom and sister. The last time I saw my sister, she was quite mean to me about my hair, and if she acts that way when I see her in December, I'm going to really have a conversation with her.

My mom never really had too big of an issue with my desire for long hair, but for a little while she used to tell me to cut it shorter. I silently [but vehemently] refused, and my mom would simply nag me about it to the point that I was scared she would try to force me to have it cut.

I hadn't known at the time just how much my dad liked my long hair, so one day my dad and I were out for a walk and I mentioned the trouble Mom was giving me over my hair, and he just shook his head and said,"Don't worry about it, Melanie. There's no way that's going to happen."

Another time we were in the car and my mom was pestering me again, and my dad blew up and shouted,"DON'T TELL HER TO CUT HER HAIR! IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!" It was the best thing ever!

Length
    18/26/36
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Ugh, all the time. My entire family and DBF are all against long hair. To them waist length is way too long, so needless to say my goal of classic length is horrifying to them. Not sure why. For most of my life my hair was classic length, but they seem to have forgotten.

However, after showing the DBF some of your pictures (hope you all don't mind), he is beginning to change his mind. So thank you! lol

Length
    ?/APL+/MB
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I was discourage for years by my relatives (mom, aunts, grandmother etc.) and some hairstylists who were saying that my hair is very fine and thay look ugly and flat while long (like SL long) so thay must be cut and I need layers. I believed them...

I starded growing just when my husbend sad somthing totally different: 'I love your hair! Could you grow them for me?'

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by anka.ch View Post
    I starded growing just when my husbend sad somthing totally different: 'I love your hair! Could you grow them for me?'
    I love that!

Length
    flip/waist/class
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

I had a coworker who was taken aback by the concept of my wanting classic-length hair, but she didn't discourage me at all. I think it's simply something very, very unusual where I live and hard to wrap one's head around.

I've been fortunate in that most folks don't even bat an eyelash when I mention (rarely) that I'm growing my hair out. It's up all the time, so it's not something would think to comment on. Granted, I've been asked about my hairsticks and spin pins, but largely out of curiosity and occasional wonder. (Read: You mean those two sticks are holding ALL your hair up in that bun? Woah!)