Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2767757677

Thread: Discuss Oil Shampoo

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Discuss Oil Shampoo

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Hmm, I haven't heard of this method before. But, I have tried a "preformulated" wash with surfactants in an oil base rather than regular shampoos with surfactants in a water base (or, more rarely, in an aloe vera base). It worked pretty well but it was harder to get it to suds up. It was more moisturising than most shampoos in a water base.

Personally I do pre-poo and some people on here a die-hard rinse out oil fans.

Pre-poo: oiling up your hair before washing it (or conditioner)

ROO: adding a small bit of oil to your hair after shampooing but before conditioning
    Quote Originally Posted by Suortuva View Post
    I really couldn't figure out what this is about, adding oil to shampoo?

But I have used those shower oils for washing my hair and it works well. I thin I mention it here, just in case...

I've tried both pre-formulated oil shampoos (there's one I particularly like for my dandruff/dermatitis) and adding oil (EVOO) to shampoos that are a bit too strong for my scalp
    I've had fairly good results with both, but for me the key is finding a ratio that doesn't leave build up on my scalp.
    1:1 ratio is way too much oil for me. I'd start by taking a 50ml bottle, pour in a teaspoon of oil, then add shampoo to fill it up.
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Anyone doing this anymore?

I tried last evening combination of sulfate free shampoo and sunflower oil and the result was amazing! Further research is needed, but really this was even better than overnight hot coconut oil treatment!

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Well I am definitely curious now, might try this sometime soon, after I read a bit more about it!
    overall: SL>>>APL>>>BSL>>>WL>>>HL>>>BCL>>>TBL
    natural: 0>>>EL>>>CL>>>SL

Myself I have always done this quickly and simply just by adding some oil to shampoo and mixing it well on my palm, so that it creates little white foam, and that's it. Or after that I sure have used it and left it to my hair for a little while and then rinsed, after this I also might use some conditioner or then not, you don't necessarily need that after this and the result might be even better without condish, depending on everything

And yes on top of my head I put only shampoo and gradually more oil towards the ends, to the very tip part I put 50/50 oil and shampoo, sometimes even more oil. And sunflower oil is the best!
    Last edited by Priska; December 22nd, 2023 at 06:40 AM.

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I just did this, my hair is air drying now. I went for coconut oil because that’s the original recommendation and aimed for 1:1 ratio for the same reason. I say “aimed” because I scooped a rounded teaspoon of coconut oil while I was in the shower, I attempted to melt it in my palm, then squirted some shampoo to roughly match the amount and tried to mix them well in my hand. It didn’t really fit though so at some point I just slapped it on my head and hoped for the best. It didn’t lather as much as usual and I’m from those who question cleanliness based on that, but decided not to overthink it. When rinsing, my hair felt smooth and was way easier to detangle than I expected without a conditioner. There was also much less shed hair in the drain after, which was surprising given I hadn’t brushed or combed it at all since last wash.

I didn’t use any other products, no conditioner, no leave ins, no stylers. Just the oil and shampoo. I’m also drying it “hair typing style” and I’m curious to see what comes out!

ETA: it’s been three hours and there’s still at least an hour to go before it’s dry, but it’s looking very 2c/3a and so far not greasy so I’m exited now!
    Last edited by cookies; December 25th, 2023 at 12:49 PM.
    overall: SL>>>APL>>>BSL>>>WL>>>HL>>>BCL>>>TBL
    natural: 0>>>EL>>>CL>>>SL

Maybe I need to try this. I just need to figure out how to make it work with a shampoo bar... I'd probably need a squeeze or dropper bottle for the oil...

Probably I should only use this on my length; my scalp is already oily.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.