Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: historical hair care

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: historical hair care

Quote Originally Posted by evernia View Post
    hello, i'm not sure whether this is a good thread for it (thought it would be better than the random question one), but do some of you know why are most historical combs in museums, all the way from ancient times to the 1900s, very fine and shallow like nit combs? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._A.27-1977.jpg

do you think it's for this natural oils distribution that was mentioned earlier in this thread, so they wouldn't need to wash their hair so often? i read a few articles on them and some mention that it was really for lice, but it seems pretty unlikely that an early 20th century upper class lady would need a fancy ivory lice comb in her purse at all times (and there also wasn't any source for that)... it would be pretty hard to detangle with it, wouldn't it? also maybe for flyaways? what do you think?
    SnappyDragon has a Youtube video out using a comb like the one in the picture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JZ33WuzPHI. If you haven't seen it, she explains how historical ladies used those combs. I suspect they had quite a few uses, the removal of lice being one of them.
    ~~ Classic ~~ Fingertip ~~ Knee ~~ ? ~~

Length
    buzz/wl/hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleQuill View Post
    SnappyDragon has a Youtube video out using a comb like the one in the picture.
    omg thank you a lot, that's exactly it! most of the youtube vids about this used only wide teeth combs/BBBs and had straighter hair, so i kinda gave up on trying to find something there. the part where her hair gets so frizzy from combing it is super relatable. though i wonder how this would go on low porosity/fine hair

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

omg thank you a lot, that's exactly it! most of the youtube vids about this used only wide teeth combs/BBBs and had straighter hair, so i kinda gave up on trying to find something there. the part where her hair gets so frizzy from combing it is super relatable. though i wonder how this would go on low porosity/fine hair
    You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. I'm not entirely certain but given that it's a millennia old type of comb, I can't see it being too awful, as I'm sure there were fineys with low porosity hair about back then, too. Wouldn't advise using it on wet hair, though. You can still buy combs like that, but now they're labelled as beard combs. If you were curious, you could always do an experiment of your own. Maybe you could buy one and give it a try (If you see breakage, or it's painful to use, discontinue.)

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I actually happen to have low porosity fine hair This combing method seem to work really well for me. I do start the combing with a wide tooth comb, then comb through the parts that I will use the really fine toothed comb with first with a regular comb to make sure there is absolutely no tangles left before I start.

---
    A small update on how things are going. I suddenly got pretty bad dandruff today, for some reason that happens sometimes when I hit my period. So being a bit stubborn right now, I did not reach for shampoo, but I did a strong green tea spearmint rinse. Hoping that did the trick.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
    I actually happen to have low porosity fine hair This combing method seem to work really well for me. I do start the combing with a wide tooth comb, then comb through the parts that I will use the really fine toothed comb with first with a regular comb to make sure there is absolutely no tangles left before I start.

---
    A small update on how things are going. I suddenly got pretty bad dandruff today, for some reason that happens sometimes when I hit my period. So being a bit stubborn right now, I did not reach for shampoo, but I did a strong green tea spearmint rinse. Hoping that did the trick.
    I don't get dandruff, nor have I used a comb of this type before, but seeing as you have and do, do you find it effective for removing flakes? My husband has dandruff and his shampoo (Head and Shoulders 2in1 has stopped being as effective. It should be noted that he's a mechanic, so he's often covered in engine grease, oils, dirt and dead grass, and his hair is often oily, so he washes it basically every day. Keeping his clothes clean enough to be presentable is a joy ) So I've often wondered what I can do to help. He doesn't have the patience or tolerance for a different hair routine (one of those use shampoo and go type of guys), and he's super sceptical of anything new (He has Asperger's). He does, however like his hair being brushed (but he's a bit sensitive to knots). I've often wondered if maybe a comb like that might help. Maybe I can get him to sit down at the end of the day to comb out his hair to remove the flakes.

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleQuill View Post
    I don't get dandruff, nor have I used a comb of this type before, but seeing as you have and do, do you find it effective for removing flakes? My husband has dandruff and his shampoo (Head and Shoulders 2in1 has stopped being as effective. It should be noted that he's a mechanic, so he's often covered in engine grease, oils, dirt and dead grass, and his hair is often oily, so he washes it basically every day. Keeping his clothes clean enough to be presentable is a joy ) So I've often wondered what I can do to help. He doesn't have the patience or tolerance for a different hair routine (one of those use shampoo and go type of guys), and he's super sceptical of anything new (He has Asperger's). He does, however like his hair being brushed (but he's a bit sensitive to knots). I've often wondered if maybe a comb like that might help. Maybe I can get him to sit down at the end of the day to comb out his hair to remove the flakes.
    Hmm, sorry to say it did not help in my case. I had to do some kind of herbal rinse to sort it out, thankfully that worked really well.

My husband gets dandruff from time to time too. He has noticed that using rye flour as shampoo works great to keep the dandruff at bay, I make some for him to use at the same time when I mix mine.
    But I have actually wondered if clay would be a even better alternative for him to use and easier. He could just mix some in the palm of his hand with a little bit of water. Perhaps your husband could be willing to try clay if made easy, have a jar near the shower.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fethenwen View Post
    Hmm, sorry to say it did not help in my case. I had to do some kind of herbal rinse to sort it out, thankfully that worked really well.

My husband gets dandruff from time to time too. He has noticed that using rye flour as shampoo works great to keep the dandruff at bay, I make some for him to use at the same time when I mix mine.
    But I have actually wondered if clay would be a even better alternative for him to use and easier. He could just mix some in the palm of his hand with a little bit of water. Perhaps your husband could be willing to try clay if made easy, have a jar near the shower.
    Rye flour shampoo? Never heard of that before. Might have to Google that one. Well, now that you've said clay, my mind went to my brand of shampoo bar. Though it's labeled for frizzy hair, it's made with rhassoul clay. Going back to look at it, it does say that it helps with dandruff, so maybe I'll ask him if he's willing to at least give it a try. I've thought about seeing if he's willing to switch before, but he's pretty resistant to change, so I've never asked. Maybe he could give it a go for a month, and if there's no change, or he doesn't like it, he can always switch back. I'll ask him about it when he's low on his current shampoo.

Length
    CBL/BSL/HL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

The other thing that people here talk about for dandruff (of course, I don't remember where) is leaving the shampoo on the scalp for a minute or two. That might be an easier change, assuming he's not already doing it.

Length
    PX/CL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Liria View Post
    The other thing that people here talk about for dandruff (of course, I don't remember where) is leaving the shampoo on the scalp for a minute or two. That might be an easier change, assuming he's not already doing it.
    Not sure. He's a mechanic and gets all sorts of things in his hair, so I assume he might. He also uses his nails to rub in the shampoo. I wonder if that's a factor. Every time I see him doing it, I'm like "DON'T USE YOUR NAILS!" And he always responds with *insert childish noise here.* Despite the uncomfortable treatment of it, he somehow manages to have very pretty, full hair, and it's got a lovely light curl to it. I've been trying to get him to grow it out for years, but he's always, "I want to, but I'm a mechanic. Having long hair's a hazard, and if I did, I'd have to wear a hair net, and I refuse to wear one of those." Oh, well. One can hope. Maybe when he retires.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I saw someone mention old combs being fine toothed. I went to a museum in Sweden last year and took pictures of every comb But I realize that I never shared the pictures on LHC. I'll tell the time period on the ones I still remember.

Viking age.

Viking age.

Viking age.

Viking age.

Down in the right corner is a comb. Bronze age I think.

Stone age bone comb. The oldest comb found in Sweden around 3000 years BC.

Not sure from when these are.

Not sure about this one either.

Medieval.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights