Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair pulling and increased growth?

Length
    chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair pulling and increased growth?

I've been sitting here tugging gently on my hair near the roots while reading this. It actually feels really good to me and now my scalp feels nice and stimulated. I think it's a good method (provided you don't pull to hard of course) to stimulate blood flow.

Length
    <BSL/WAIST/hip?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Never heard of that, but it's worth a try..... *pulls on braids*
    yay

Another thought,I had my ends trimmed up to an even straight across mid-May. I usually pull on (twirl, finger comb through) the sides of my hair and over my ears. I am noticing my hemline now seams to be growing in an invirted V shape. With the sides (that I pull on) being slightly longer then the back where I don't tug on so much...I don't plan to trim till next spring at least, so maybe I will pay attention and report back after more time..

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Having read that wearing tight braids and ponytails over time will damage hair, I can't think it would work.

Most likely, the people who went away, you noticed a change because they were gone for 2 months or so. When you don't see someone or you braid your hair for a period of time, it will appear longer because braids hike hair up, making it appear shorter.

Sorry, I'm thinking that's an old wives tale. Nothing can make hair grow faster---yes, you can stimulate the scalp to produce more blood flow, but you can't alter mother nature and your body's way of working.
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by missmandy View Post
    Never heard of that, but it's worth a try..... *pulls on braids*

Why did this make me laugh out loud? lol

Quote Originally Posted by redneckprincess View Post
    Another thought,I had my ends trimmed up to an even straight across mid-May. I usually pull on (twirl, finger comb through) the sides of my hair and over my ears. I am noticing my hemline now seams to be growing in an invirted V shape. With the sides (that I pull on) being slightly longer then the back where I don't tug on so much...I don't plan to trim till next spring at least, so maybe I will pay attention and report back after more time..
    You may be onto something.

I'm right handed and will often use my right hand for things(writing, typing on the computer, etc.) while playing with my hair with my left hand(twirling, tugging, etc.).

Whenever I get a trim, my left side is always longer than my right and has to be evened up....

Length
    apl/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

i would think long-constant-pulling (tight braids) would be counter-productive... and it doesn't feell good to the scalp for sure!

a small light pulling (on a large quantity of hair at a time) in a massage like manner once in a while : this does feel good and relaxing. I wouldn't be surprised - with other good healthy hair habits - that it helps hair grow a little stronger.

walking bare feet everyday, all summer, does make our soles much more resistant by September !

Length
    chin/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Hotrox - tugging on her hair

Anything that can help is worth a try

Actually, when I get a scalp massage here in China there is quite often some quite firm hair pulling involved. I was always a bit nervous of this but now I will embrace the pulling

Length
    27/33/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I actually know a girl that ties little weights to the ends of her dreadlocks every evening to help them grow faster and stronger. She swears by it. I never put much stock in the idea, but maybe I'll give gentle pulling a shot...
    Jenna

Recently cut from 50" to 32". Happily growing again.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by dropinthebucket View Post
    i wonder if it has a similar effect to scalp massage, stimulating blood flow/circulation?????
    Yes. Also, any stress put on the body (so long as it's moderate) encourages your body to strengthen the area. That's what any physical training is about, stress and recovery. Your bones create strength on certain stress lines. There's no reason why your hair should be any different. I used to work for a guy who did this to keep from going bald. I do this on the top of my head where my hair is typically thinner. In the last few months, it has become much thicker. It's part of my head massage. I love the way it feels. I just close my fist around a clump of hair while I'm massaging my head and create gentle traction. It feels amazing.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse1 View Post
    Having read that wearing tight braids and ponytails over time will damage hair, I can't think it would work.

Most likely, the people who went away, you noticed a change because they were gone for 2 months or so. When you don't see someone or you braid your hair for a period of time, it will appear longer because braids hike hair up, making it appear shorter.

Sorry, I'm thinking that's an old wives tale. Nothing can make hair grow faster---yes, you can stimulate the scalp to produce more blood flow, but you can't alter mother nature and your body's way of working.
    Too much sustained tension would weaken it by decreasing blood flow and causing too much physical stress for too long. If you stretch your body for awhile, it will respond by making your muscles/connective tissue longer and stronger. If you overdo stretching, for example, hunching over at your desk which puts your back muscles on a stretch all day, you will decrease circulation and weaken the muscles causing spasm, pain, and possibly decreased muscle fiber. Relating to hair, that's why they say "gentle pulling", not constant tight braids or ponytails. One would need just enough to create some pull but not so much that it's uncomfortable.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.