Page 51 of 878 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151551 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by n3m3sis42 View Post
    I feel like there should be a T-shirt for everyone who has read through the entire thread!
    Haha, I agree! Isn't the thread on the archives like past 200 or something pages?

Length
    27/41/45
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I'm checking in again now that I've had time to experiment. I've found that out of my three samples (cafe moreno, olive babassu, and honey butter soap), the Olive and Babassu works the best. I also discovered that it works best to use it on the whole length of my hair, not just my scalp. The other two were rather drying, and the Honey Butter soap was actually the worst (though I admit it didn't get a fair trial, because I had it on my hair way longer than than the others - I was shaving my legs for once!). It seemed weird to me that Honey Butter would be drying, since from what I've heard, many people actually have trouble with it being too moisturizing, so I started comparing ingredients. I think the problem might be that Cafe Moreno and Honey Butter contain coconut oil, which I've read can make soaps drying. My hair tends to be very dry, so maybe it's sensitive to the coconut oil content? Unfortunately, Chagrin Valley doesn't have many soaps/shampoos without it, and I did want to experiment with a bunch of bars! I still will, but my next order will also include samples of the castile and calendula and/or the olive shea soaps.

Moonstone, if you liked the Olive Babassu be sure to check out the Babssu & Marshmallow shampoo. It does contain coconut oil, but lots and lots of other good stuff. I found it very moisturizing, though not as moisturizing as the OB.

Being one of the people who found the Honey Butter soap way too moisturizing I somehow canīt believe that it was actually drying to your hair. Are you sure it wasnīt soap residue which made your hair feel dry? The HB was a nightmare to rinse out for me. And I find that buildup/soap residue makes my hair feel weird and dry, can hardly get a comb through.

Length
    27/41/45
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Calista, the Babassu and Marshmallow was actually one of the ones I wanted to try! I'm glad to hear it's moisturizing, because that's what I need!

Hmm, I didn't even think that it could be residue. It didn't feel like there was anything coating my hair, and the dryness did lessen in the few days following each bar. I also oiled my ends, and that helped a lot. Still, I've noticed that my hair is more tangly (even with the Olive and Babassu), like you said happens with residue. I guess I'll try rinsing more thoroughly. If that doesn't work, I can do ACV rinses, though I'd rather not (I like simplicity!).

Quote Originally Posted by Kazazi View Post
    Out of interest, what is your opinion on this observation?: when using my vinegar rinses with poo bars, I could feel them working immediately; ie I got instant slip and it was actually quite easy to run my fingers through my freshly rinsed hair. So I actually thought they were doing a good job, but I still had waxies when dry.

Does this sound to you like my rinse could really have been to weak? Or maybe I just need more of it? I was using about a pint/500 mls on my not quite shoulder length hair, so I would have thought this was plenty.
    I use 1l for my waist-length hair, so Iīd think 500ml should be plenty for you. Try upping the strength of your rinse and see if it helps with the waxies. If it doesnīt, then Iīm clueless. It is shampoo bars you are using, not soap bars, right? Because I get awful waxies from most of Idaīs regular soaps, even if I use a vinegar rinse afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Murphy View Post
    We had our water tested a little while ago, and it's soft. I currently also use 100ml in 1l water, first swishing the length in it, like you recommended.
    Miss Murphy, Iīm sorry, then it canīt be buildup, I guess. Maybe shampoo bars just arenīt for you. Good thing you are giving them a break. Itīs so frustrating not getting the results one wants.

Length
    chin/shldr/hip
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

definitely shampoo bars

the first time i used cv products i tried to use the cucumber and yoghurt soap on my length during the finals wash, as a conditioner, and that gave me the worst waxies ever, so since then i have been sticking to poo bars only plus regular condish.

next time i'll try a poo bar i'll up the acid rinse and report back. out of interest, if i wanted to try citric acid, can anyone tell me how much to use if i wanted to make a dilution that was stronger than 10% vinegar but not so strong it damages my hair? thanks!

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Wow this thread's gotten so long! Just want to give a little update: I've been trying PLH shampoo bars for a while and they work so well! Actually I think I like them better than CV shampoo bars. I think CV bars are too gentle for my oily hair. The only one cleansing enough is the citrus and chamomile and I always have a reaction after using it. All the PLH bars I tried clean very well without too much scrubbing. I'm very glad that I found another source of good shampoo bars.

*ETA I agree that some CV bars are VERY moisturizing, like cucumber lime, honey butter. They're so moisturizing, I can't use them at all. Always get itchy all over after using them. I suppose if I have very dry skin they might be great but my skin's normal.
    Last edited by sapphire-o; April 24th, 2008 at 03:27 AM.

Length
    Short/22"/APL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I do have soft water, and that helps, I am sure. I also do NOT rub the bar directly on my hair or scalp. I lather up really well in my hands, and use that to wash my hair, rinse, repeat, ACV (1 Tablespoon in 1 cup water) and then rinse thoroughly. All ACV odor is gone, I do not need to use condish, and my hair is very happy and shiny now.

Length
    shldr/TB/term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by n3m3sis42 View Post
    I feel like there should be a T-shirt for everyone who has read through the entire thread!
    LOL I can imagine the strange looks when people read that T-shirt! LOL
    God Bless,
    Shannon
    www.PositivePrayers.com