Page 494 of 851 FirstFirst ... 394444484492493494495496504544594 ... LastLast
Results 4,931 to 4,940 of 8501

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Thank you, MandyBeth and WittyWordsmith.

For now, I am switching to a comb and I will pick up a cone free conditioner.

That site looks very useful. I will check out the book too.

Length
    2in/43/42!
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MandyBeth View Post
    J's a foster kid, and ugh, she came to DH and me with a total mess of hell. Washed daily with dish soap, no conditioner, the top layer had a brush ripped thru it, so the bottom - by her nape - was matted up horribly. I just washed her hair and conditioned as best I could while we worked out the matting, just doing the standard CWC because the matted area was filthy, then whined to GRU for help on what to do next once we had the matting out.

So now she's got princess curls when she can be bothered to keep her hair down - that's more important in school to her, but in summer when she just runs around and plays with her brothers, who cares about curls
    Poor kid! I know exactly what you mean by matted and ripped up. (I was about 6-7 when I started refusing to let people brush my hair and it got bad. And then it all was just cut off.. was easier/cleaner that way.) Still have pictures of the horror is was somewhere.

Although.. dish soap??? What were they THINKING!

Dish soap sounds really bad, I hadn't seen that part. I was looking at the link WittyWordsmith posted, and they were saying sulfate shampoos have the same ingredients as dish soap! Maybe MandyBeth didn't mean actual dish soap, but sulfate shampoo?

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Nope, actual dish soap. Only way they could clean the kids filthy hair. The boys have the same problems, but since they want short hair, pretty easy to fix.

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

So yesterday was wash day and I did my usual CO routine, then raked AVG/coconut oil leave-in through my length, scrunched to encourage the curls, and air-dried. I got such nice regular corkscrews all over this time that I wore it down to chant practice in the evening.

I'm doing the all updos, all the time thing and hadn't worn my hair down in public for a year and a half. The other ladies were all, "Wow, it's really getting long" and "Why don't you wear it down more often?"

So I think I'm calling that a success!

(To forestall the inevitable questions: Sorry, no pics. But it did happen! )

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

That sounds AWESOME, Theobroma!!!!!

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    My moisture desperate hair:
    A silly update in case my experience helps someone:
    I'm using about 1/4 cup of warm olive oil & Jason oil (sweet almond, avocado, jojoba) on wet hair. It's really convenient to do it at night before bed, because I can plop and go to sleep.
    Plopping usually doesn't work for me, but it works when I oil; I get nice, frizz free curls.

If I air-dry my hair with oil, it takes about an hour before the oiliness goes away. It's not oily or disgusting as I thought it would be. If I'm in a hurry, I plop.

Conditioners make my neck, face, and shoulders feel very dry, red, and itchy, so I'm glad to use oil as a leave-in instead. It soothes my skin.
    Anyway, as soon as I wash with conditioner, my hair looks really dull and flat again. When I use water only, it looks nice. So maybe I'll drop the conditioner and wash my scalp with just water (though I'm a bit scared about that...)
    Maybe that will reduce the need to oil so often; I'm doing it every night!

My boyfriend is actually touching my hair, which is funny; I've beaten him up over it for over 5 years, so he's well trained. A few times he even slept with his head over my hair, which has never happened before. Before, he couldn't even bear contact with my hair, because it was so dry, it bothered/tickled him.
    I guess that's a win for me

MandyBeth :O Poor kid... Sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    A silly update in case my experience helps someone:
    I'm using about 1/4 cup of warm olive oil & Jason oil (sweet almond, avocado, jojoba) on wet hair. It's really convenient to do it at night before bed, because I can plop and go to sleep.
    Plopping usually doesn't work for me, but it works when I oil; I get nice, frizz free curls.

If I air-dry my hair with oil, it takes about an hour before the oiliness goes away. It's not oily or disgusting as I thought it would be. If I'm in a hurry, I plop.

Conditioners make my neck, face, and shoulders feel very dry, red, and itchy, so I'm glad to use oil as a leave-in instead. It soothes my skin.
    Anyway, as soon as I wash with conditioner, my hair looks really dull and flat again. When I use water only, it looks nice. So maybe I'll drop the conditioner and wash my scalp with just water (though I'm a bit scared about that...)
    Maybe that will reduce the need to oil so often; I'm doing it every night!

My boyfriend is actually touching my hair, which is funny; I've beaten him up over it for over 5 years, so he's well trained. A few times he even slept with his head over my hair, which has never happened before. Before, he couldn't even bear contact with my hair, because it was so dry, it bothered/tickled him.
    I guess that's a win for me
    Keep doing what you're doing. It sounds like your hair is really happy with the oil. Does your hair hate conditioner as a leave in or in the shower, too?

Length
    24"/42"/50"
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

ok, I must be technologically challenged....how in the world do I add a pic to my post?