Page 41 of 851 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141541 ... LastLast

Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Length
    26/38/40
    Type
    2c/M/iii

How do all you fellow curlies measure your hair when its wet or dry?? because of curls do you pull it down or just measure to wear the hair sits???
    I measure mine wear it sits when its dry but wounder about how accurate this would be.
    Cloudchasers and Dreamers Welcome!! Lady Værmina, Gatekeeper of Dreamscapes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights! & self confessed hair idiot!!
    I havent always been kind to you!! hair pics

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by littlemiss View Post
    How do all you fellow curlies measure your hair when its wet or dry?? because of curls do you pull it down or just measure to wear the hair sits???
    I measure mine wear it sits when its dry but wounder about how accurate this would be.
    I measure mine wet/damp and pulled straight because I'm nuts about accuracy. My hair tends to curl up to a different length every day anyway. And since I've been on a hair up challenge I rarely can tolerate leaving my hair down until fully dry.
    3b/c - F/M - ii
    Current length: 24.5" wet and stretched.

Length
    26/26/30
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Default How do I dare?

I've been lurking around recently trying to figure out what I can do to make my hair healthier. One of the most shocking concepts is the idea of only washing my hair once or twice a week. There are several reasons this currently seems unfeesable for me, but I would love see if someone with similar 'makeup' has an answer that is a good balance.

I have the type 3a/3b hair. I have fairly oily skin. I have dandruff that sometimes requires the head&shoulders that is 'orange' sometimes I do not have dandruff but at those times if I sweat much my scalp gets both oily and itchy.

currently I use a regular shampoo most of the time and trade out with the dandruff shampoo about 1 time in 5 when I'm having no problems and maybe 1 in 2 time when I do have a problem.

honestly my hair is typically so unmanageable that I have no idea what to do other than use lots of product or constantly keep it in ponytail holders and just apply product to the bangs.

I always use conditioner and often a very heavy conditioner.... the only thing I really like is Aussie's DEEEEEEP. I tend to have the water hot on my hair when I rub in a lot. Then I rinse lightly with cool water. When I was younger and my face was much oilier all the time.. I only conditioned the ends of my hair.. but now can usually condition the top and scalp too. I can also get away with just shampooing my scalp about 4-5 days a week.. but still can't even imagine cutting back to 1-2 times a week due to especially when sweating. I do use water with a touch of leave in conditioner in a spray bottle to tame frizz and curls on non-shampooing days.

Is there something else (maybe herbal) I can add to spray bottle that is okay for hair but will calm finicky scalp and also not make face oily? (if so maybe I can shampoo less often)

Also is there a non-oily product that I can use on my hair for day wear use in place of drying products such as moouse and gel? I like the look I get when I moouse the sides and back and then gel the bangs... it's a striking look.. but can I accomplish something similar without pimples and without drying the hair I would love to know about it.

Also please point me to any other threads that could be helpful to these combinations.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I cant stretch out washings either and I dont even try. I generally wash every other day but I can sometimes stretch it out longer if I wear my hair up on the third day. To wear my hair down I have to wash every other day because my ends need conditioner and my hair looks all wonky if I go longer. I dont have scalp problems but I do shed alot when I do CO only. So in between washing I do WO on scalp and condition the length.

Length
    1mm/term?/:/
    Type
    3b/C/ii

I am not very worried about accuracy, but I still measure pulling the hairs, otherwise I would have wildly differing measurements on different days.

Length
    1mm/term?/:/
    Type
    3b/C/ii

Paelena, are you sure you have dandruff and not just a dry scalp? even when your hair gets greasy, you may have a dry scalp and those are just flakes. Skin flakes is not dandruff. Dandruff shampoos are very drying and only aggravate a dry scalp. My boyfriend had this problem too (also the oily skin) and he used dandruff shampoo, which he certainly did not need. He is not a curly, his hair is straight/wavy, although it is medium like yours, just changing his conditioner (he used a more moisturizing one on the ends only, now he uses a lighter one on scalp too, and oils a little bit the ends with jojoba oil) and washing a little less often (washes twice to three times a week) worked for him, his scalp adapted to it and now produces a lot less oils, the flakes are very reduced. You may need another routine, you will have to experiment.

With 3a/3b hair, you might want to try CO too (conditioner only washing method), it works very well for a lot of curlies.

Washing very often can actually make your skin react and produce more grease as a defense mechanism. Skin actually needs some grease to protect and hydrate it, you have to find a balance. If you have problems with your face too, you might want to have a look at the oil cleansing method in the health beauty forum, apparently people who have oily skin find that this method also works for them.

Type
    3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie View Post
    I measure mine wet/damp and pulled straight because I'm nuts about accuracy. My hair tends to curl up to a different length every day anyway. And since I've been on a hair up challenge I rarely can tolerate leaving my hair down until fully dry.
    I measure the same way for the same reason.

Lady Myhriss of Beauty Afire

Type
    3b/M/C/i/ii

I measure mine pulled straight. That's how long it really is and it's accurate IMO.
    CG since 6/22/04
    sig pic 10/30/09

Length
    SL/WL/CL
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie View Post
    I'm a curly too and I do the same thing...
    My hair has quite a bit of shrinkage!

Loves coffee & updos Chamomile betty's Avatar
    Length
    20.5/BS/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Ok, welcome to all the newbies to this thread.

Measuring: I do mine wet/damp too. I measured the first of April and won't measure again till the first of June. I am tring for every other month so I don't get frustrated if I have little growth.

Leave in: I always use one but I am need to find a better one. The V05 Detangle & Shine is not mositurizing nor are the conditioners anymore.

Something new: I think I might let my bangs grow. They are now growing to the left and with a soft wave/curl to them. I just won't have them trimed when I go to have a dusting in June.

Today I combed a little Olive Oil through my hair and put it up in a high bun. It's a different brand of OO than I used before and I wanted to see how my hair reacted.
    20.5 ~ BS ~ 30 *Natural Blond w/ High & Lowlights* Bangs/Long Layers* Cone and Non Cone Products
    Always trying new products & styles.