Page 40 of 878 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140540 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

EtherealJane - have you tried a clarifying baking-soda wash? It could be build-up from before coming lose now.
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by EtherealJane View Post
    Are all shampoo bars created equal? I tried some from the Heart of Iowa once, and I just recently tried a few from Serpentine Hair. I do love the way my hair feels, but I can't get over the flakes and "dust" that seem to go along with them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I noticed this because I have a boar hair bristle brush, and the bristles trap what really does look like dust after I brush my hair. It's a little un-nerving. Has anyone ever experienced this, or know what it is? I do use vinegar rinses, and that seems to help but not eliminate the problem.

I really want shampoo bars to work for me. I'm really committed to living as natural a lifestyle as possible, and even liquid "organic" shampoos contain ingredients that I'm not thrilled by.

I placed an order for 3 CV shampoo bars last night, but I won't get them for another 2-3 weeks because of the vacation schedule. In the meantime, I'd like to get my Serpentine Hair bars to work for me if I can. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Some bars work better on some scalps/hair than others, even from the same brand. You can also try clarifying or even just playing with your rinse ratios.

Length
    7/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I've never tried any sort of baking soda wash, and that completely makes sense. I'll try that tonight and see if that makes a difference! Thanks for the suggestions I'll keep at it--I know it's worth it!

Length
    27/TB/?
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

My bars arived from PHL yesterday. I got a bunch of sampels one of them was Facial Serum normal skin. And I must say its really great, hope the bars are that to
    I got:Fragrant Tresses, Rosemary Nettle, Sage, Sweetgrass & Cedar.

I even make my one shampo bars. The last batch I did was with nettle in and it did smell really nice when I sett it for curing. But now it dont smell good at all
    Hope it is good for my hair.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Murphy View Post
    Lamb, the ACV rinse has nothing to do with how often you use the bar. The poo bar is alkaline, and the rinse is supposed to smoothe the ruffled cuticles of the hair again, and restore the slightly acidic PH-level of your scalp.

Some can do without the rinse - I think it also depends on the hardness of your water. Most report the rinse making their hair softer, though.
    As far as the smell, you might give citric acid a try. HTH, and if you got more questions, just fire away!
    Thank you! I think I will check out citric acid (hope I can get it at a grocery store) - or simply rinse longer with normal water after the ACV.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I noticed this because I have a boar hair bristle brush, and the bristles trap what really does look like dust after I brush my hair. It's a little un-nerving. Has anyone ever experienced this, or know what it is?
    EtherealJane; I had the same thing happen after I started using shampoo bars, I was looking through my purse to see where all that 'lint' had come from, and then I realized it came from my hair! After a couple of weeks, it stopped. I've been rinsing with an orange juice rinse or a honey rinse. No conditioner. My hair is superfine.

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I tried my third CV bar yesterday: Olive Babassu.

I'm going to have to say that I don't think I'm a fan of this one. Either that, or I'm one of those people who's going to need to do a clarifying BS rinse every 2-3 weeks. My roots just look flat and a little oily today, and I just washed last night.

I don't use -cones or really any styling products, nor have I used a commercial shampoo in over a year, so this is not styling product buildup and I don't think it's an adjustment period.

It may be that this particular bar is not for me. I'm going to use Mud and Clay for my next wash, since that was one of the two I've tried and liked. If I still have weird greasies, then I'll know that it's time to try a clarifying BS wash next time.

Length
    14/24/???
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I am particularly fond of Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil Shampoo Bar. It's been amazingly good for my hair - pretty much nothing in it but saponified coconut oil.

Of course, recently I'm doing CO, and that's been wonderful, too, but any time I want to shampoo, I'm going straight back to the coconut oil bar!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Are all shampoo bars created equal? I tried some from the Heart of Iowa once, and I just recently tried a few from Serpentine Hair. I do love the way my hair feels, but I can't get over the flakes and "dust" that seem to go along with them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I noticed this because I have a boar hair bristle brush, and the bristles trap what really does look like dust after I brush my hair. It's a little un-nerving. Has anyone ever experienced this, or know what it is? I do use vinegar rinses, and that seems to help but not eliminate the problem.
    EtherealJane, I don't have any flakes on my hair. But I do notice that my BBB collects lint when I follow my shampoo bar routine. We actually had a thread about this on the "old" LHC. I can't remember if anyone came up with a satisfactory explanation. My hair is clean, my scalp is clean. I try not to worry about my linty brush. I just wash it more frequently than I would if I were using conventional shampoos and conditioners.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyKarin View Post
    My bars arived from PHL yesterday. I got a bunch of sampels one of them was Facial Serum normal skin. And I must say its really great, hope the bars are that to
    I got:Fragrant Tresses, Rosemary Nettle, Sage, Sweetgrass & Cedar.
    HappyKarin, please let us know what the Sweetgrass & Cedar smells like. Is it really "perfumy"? I couldn't use the Fragrant Tresses because it had such a strong perfume smell. Sweetgrass & Cedar also has fragrance oils (not EO's). I'd like to hear what you think.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    HappyKarin, please let us know what the Sweetgrass & Cedar smells like. Is it really "perfumy"? I couldn't use the Fragrant Tresses because it had such a strong perfume smell. Sweetgrass & Cedar also has fragrance oils (not EO's). I'd like to hear what you think.
    I'll give you a report, too I'm going to wash today with my new S&C, as it is advertised as being good for greasy hair. My next hair wash will be on tuesday, at my hairdresser's - and I cannot go in with my hair looking like it does at the moment. I'll be getting highlights, too - and I don't know if the colour would take at the moment.

So if it doesn't work out tonight, I shall have to poo my length with my sulfate poo
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!