Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is there a way to put braids in that aren't visible?

Length
    22/38.5/42
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Is there a way to put braids in that aren't visible?

It's really strange to see the way hair regulations have changed since WWI and WWII when women were first in the Armed Forces. The "Victory Rolls" were really in, and the only real regulations I've found dealt with how couldn't be TOOO big, and it couldn't touch the collar (women just tilted their heads forward slightly for inspection, if they wanted to get away with bigger hair!) although it should be neat and attractive. The makeup regulations were adamant that a woman should have carefully applied (RED for Marines) lipstick, and otherwise made herself as feminine (read: other makeup) as possible. Girdles were regulation, and a woman might get in trouble if she took her uniform to the dry cleaner's, because there were regulations for where the ironing folds should be. Basically, a woman in the military had to look like a woman, and the women it affected loved the results, from the memoirs I've read.

Contrast that to "no braids. No this. No that. Conservative makeup. Blah blah blech" and I'm sad for the way they seem to have tried to incorporate women into the military by desexing them (I reenact, and keeping within the 40's regulations isn't hard, and it feels great to look so put-together!).

Ok. Off my soapbox, time for the post.

Have you tried the Nautilus bun? I have a hard time holding normal buns up, but this one stays on its own! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-BQ5OMV2Y You could try bobbypinning it into submission (if you're in the military as I imagined you were, jaw-clips and hairsticks might be taboo. Check before you try those). Also, you might be able to find a hair fork small enough you can hide it IN the bun and wrap around it with the extra tail of your hair, to hide the top and bottom?

My normal buns are huge, and the Nautilus really compresses, so your thick hair might not be as much of an issue bun-size-wise. (When I wore this the last week of school, one of my teachers asked if I'd cut my hair! It really does get smaller.)

Hope this works for you!
    Beware, the Lipstickless Bandit rides again, roaming the period-correct countryside and absconding with the kisses of all those who take her fancy!

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

The aforementioned "kitty bun" should be fine. I've seen officers in both the AF and Army wearing it. Also, a simple braided bun should be acceptable, especially if you have extremely thick hair such that the individual strands don't look like a braid when all is said and done.

Have you already been through Basic? And if so, how did you do your hair then? All of my observations are based off of the few female officers we have around the ROTC programs here, along with the one enlisted woman in the AF, so my perspective is a little skewed. They're all active duty though, so they should be up to standards.

Lady Fáreryniel of the Depthless Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Somewhere in the region of very near waist...

Length
    BSL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Faery View Post
    I saw a video on YouTube of someone (a dancer with red, curly hair) doing a cinnamon bun with three tails instead of one. She started with a ponytail, took a third of her hair, twisted for several inches, pinned part way around the base, let it hang, took a second section, twisted and pinned around the first, took the last third and did the same. Then she picked up the first again and continued. It gave a radiating spiral effect, but was close to the head and secure because of all the pins and the fact that her thickness was divided into multiple twists.

I can't find the video from my phone, but I had searched something along the lines of "long curly hair" ... The poster's name might have been Cinnamon Curls. Her demonstration was very easy to follow.

Good luck!
    That sounds like the Vortex Bun to me - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...4&postcount=40
    Videos are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhVn1n8gpM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSf1vv8oB6g
    Lady Amelia of the Spellsoul Cloak in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Small regular trims
    to try and improve my hemline, while still gaining length
    Currently just above waist length

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I meant this sort of thing, not a french twist, sorry for the confusion

Also, what about a ballet bun (make your bun, double a hairnet over it, pin pin pin) it tends to make a very flat, no wispy bun. I also was going to suggest one french braid either tucked or into a bun.
    Last edited by Magdalene; December 26th, 2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: fix link
    Picture on left in front of "my" flower.
    Photo Album
    No more Mr. Nice Gaius.

Length
    1/TBL/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

((Yay, my first post!))

I was actually looking in to military hair regulations today, since I am currently (see: Possible temporary interest) looking at maybe joining the Army, and wanted to make sure that I could keep my long hair.
    Best I could find on the regulations: http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/army/...grooming_3.htm

Or for those who don't want to click, it looks like the relevant portion is this:

Females will ensure their hair is neatly groomed, that the length and bulk of the hair are not excessive, and that the hair does not present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. Likewise, trendy styles that result in shaved portions of the scalp (other than the neckline) or designs cut into the hair are prohibited. Females may wear braids and cornrows as long as the braided style is conservative, the braids and cornrows lie snugly on the head, and any hairholding devices comply with the standards below. Dreadlocks (unkempt, twisted, matted individual parts of hair) are prohibited in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Hair will not fall over the eyebrows or extend below the bottom edge of the collar at any time during normal activity or when standing in formation. Long hair that falls naturally below the bottom edge of the collar, to include braids, will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned, so no free-hanging hair is visible. This includes styles worn with the physical fitness uniform/improved physical fitness uniform (PFU/IPFU).

Styles that are lopsided or distinctly unbalanced are prohibited. Ponytails, pigtails, or braids that are not secured to the head (allowing hair to hang freely), widely spaced individual hanging locks, and other extreme styles that protrude from the head are prohibited. Extensions, weaves, wigs, and hairpieces are authorized; however, these additions must have the same general appearance as the individual’s natural hair. Additionally, any wigs, extensions, hairpieces, or weaves must comply with the grooming policies set forth in this paragraph.
    So essentially: Braids are fine as long as you bun them up and, as others have said in this thread, don't stick out more than 3 inches.

Also, my landlady/fiancee's aunt was in the army back during the Vietnam war, and she did fine with hip-length hair. As she tells it, she could just get another female trainee or two to braid her hair in a pair of french braids, and then pin them up in a bun - as long as she wasn't lopsided or had bits falling out, they were fine with it. She says herself that she looked a little goofy, but it was acceptable.

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

i remember in basic training there were signs in the female bathrooms on correct and incorrect hairstyles, and cornrows were acceptable, so long as the hair fit under the headgear. having said that, some of the drill sergeants were picky and still wouldnt allow females to wear cornrows, but i imagine that after basic the ACTUAL rules are followed, not just what a DS feels like that day, you know?
    “U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

i agree with the rose bun if acceptable i dont know if it will fly or what your hair color is but maybe a matching bun cover? say if you have black hair a black crochet one so its thin and hide the texture of the braid. long shot i know but worth mentioning.

Length
    sl/APL/wl+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Could you try chopandchange's faux French Braid as a base?
    I'm sure with some spin pins and maybe a hairnet it should hold neat and steady (I am a massive fan of hairnets/buncovers, they used to save me so many appearence demerits).
    Lady Cuilpantiel Of The Raven Tower in the Order of the Longhaired Knights.
    The Few, The Proud, The Vaguely Creepy

Length
    chin/WST33/TB37
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Thumbs up Re: Is there a way to put braids in that aren't visible?

Quote Originally Posted by Tisiloves View Post
    Could you try chopandchange's faux French Braid as a base?
    I'm sure with some spin pins and maybe a hairnet it should hold neat and steady (I am a massive fan of hairnets/buncovers, they used to save me so many appearence demerits).
    thanks so much for posting this, Tisiloves! i'm a huge fan of torrinpage's hair tutorials, but somehow i'd missed this one, and it's great!!!
    “U hve ur way.I hve my way.As 4 the right way,the correct way,& the only way,it does not exist.”FriedrichNietzsche
    Chin::Shldr::APL:: BSL::::Wst:: Hip