Page 4 of 778 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: Thin/Fine Hair Thread

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Default Re: Thin/Fine Hair Thread

The advantage of fine hair is that it can look like silk, the disadvantage is that it seems to break off so quickly
    What really worked for my hair, even though it is/was thick, was Logona shampoo with the orange label.
    That was some great shampoo! It was like it took care for every single fine hair on my head and suddenly the volume was fantastic.
    Too bad you have to buy it in Germany
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be

Length
    pixie/messy/bob
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Great thread - I'm in.

I have lots of super fine hair – in fact each hair is so fine and translucent I'm sure from a certain angle my hair must be invisible. Ok, maybe not but you know what I mean.

I'm experimenting with ways to keep my hair moisturised and flexible, but not weighed down. I've found that any kind of 'normal' styling product, especially ones for boosting fine hair, just make my hair feel weighed down and sticky and do the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

At the moment I CW ever other day and use shea as a leave-in which has helped tremendously with flexibility. I'm also growing out the layers and razoring (aaaaggghhh, razoring! Just about the worst thing you can do to fine hair – it looks like I chew my ends).

It seems that Santa is buying me some coconut oil, and some jojoba oil to experiment with. And I've bought some cassia (and methi for the mix) to see if that makes my hair feel any heavier, although I know I have to use it a couple of times before I can make a good assessment of whether it works for me or not.

Length
    ear/TBL+!/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

The most secure updo for my fine-ish thinnish hair is a braided inside-out bun (usually pinned). Damp bunning helps other styles stay secure on wash days -- e.g., a two-braid chinese bun held with a stick (okay, pencil, since I don't own any hairsticks). Multiple braids tend to produce a larger bun for me. My hair only comes down on rare occasions; I like to damp braid it ahead of time, as the braidwaves + coney conditioner + fairytale ends = shiny princess hair (or wicked witch hair??) .

Interesting thread -- it is always nice to learn from fellow thin/fine-hairs!

P.S. You should join the Fine/thin hair social group (if you haven't already)! And I feel like there was a thread along these lines at some point in the last few months... can't remember exactly... but it seems this discussion is different enough to merit its own thread.

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

There are social groups?! I clearly need to spend more time exploring here :-) How do you get into a social group?

Are there any healthy ideas for hair "fixers," things that act like a hair gel but without all the crap in them? I haven't used "product" (mouses, gels, sprays, etc.) in ages, but I do know that my hair tends to stay in updo styles far better with something like that in it. I am thinking I should maybe give Aloe a try? As much as I dislike Walmart, it sounds like the only place I can probably get the clear stuff around here.

Thoughts?

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Aloe vera gel is pretty good. I use it occasionally. Most times, though, I just let my whispies do their thing.

ETA: HERE is the link to the social group

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Thanks, OhioLisa! I'm all joined up!

Will aloe gel leave thin hair crispy or anything if it's air dried, or does it just kind of sink in?

I just remembered something I haven't done in a long time - but it really works for me.

I wash my hair in the late afternoon, let it air dry but still keep it a bit damp - then I put in about seven braids - I make them fairly tight to the scalp. At least two of the braids have to be on top of your head. Then I sleep in it - and man, when I wake up and undo my braids - all I have to do is comb or (for an even more over-the-top look) use my BBB. Then I hairspray it under and on top and fluff it up.

I get so much volume from my puny hair by doing this - but it's just so much work for me, I can't do it every night. But it's a fun look. I'll have to do it again soon and post some pics.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shwankie View Post
    Thanks, OhioLisa! I'm all joined up!

Will aloe gel leave thin hair crispy or anything if it's air dried, or does it just kind of sink in?
    I have personally never had AVG go crispy on me. It just smooths everything down. And when I take my hair down at night, it's all soft and happy.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

I have fine curly hair. While I have a lot of hair, it's thin and fine which drives me nuts. The hard part is getting the curl to stay for more than an hour before it falls flat.

I'm thinking that I might add some layers to give it some volume but make sure the stylist understands that I want to keep the length.

Length
    waist/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I have very fine hair but not thin. I guess I'm lucky that when I wash it and it dries I have volume. It's all gone the next day, but that's when I put it up. I hate the tangles though. I can comb it and then within the next 10 minutes it's tangled again. Braiding also makes my hair look fuller.
    Lady Delgado of the Red Rose Tower in the Order of the Long Haired Knights