View Poll Results: how old were you when you first stared graying?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 18

45 17.93%
  • 20-30

121 48.21%
  • 30-40

51 20.32%
  • 40-50

28 11.16%
  • 50+ and no grasys to be seen

6 2.39%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you started graying?

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Re: How old were you when you started graying?

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yep, that's what I mean. They're all white, the few I have!
    Oh right!
    Yes, all "grey" hairs are white really. They have no pigment. But from afar they can look grey because they are amongst pigmented hairs. Apparently there is no such thing as a grey hair, so I guess we can all have solace that we will all end up with pure white hair far enough into the future.
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Length
    31ish/73/Term
    Type
    1c/F/ii

First silver hair I found was at 15, but it was part of a small streak of silvers caused by a scalp infection, so doesn't "count" for this purpose. I have started noticing proper silver hairs on my head in the last few years (I'm in my late 20s) and I have also noticed silver hairs on the majority of my same-age friends. My sister (mid twenties) has loads of silvers. On the other hand, my granny, in her 80s, has only just started getting a few silver hairs, and most of her hair is still its original colour...

~There is no spoon~

Length
    Pixie/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ashke50 View Post
    First silver hair I found was at 15, but it was part of a small streak of silvers caused by a scalp infection, so doesn't "count" for this purpose. I have started noticing proper silver hairs on my head in the last few years (I'm in my late 20s) and I have also noticed silver hairs on the majority of my same-age friends. My sister (mid twenties) has loads of silvers. On the other hand, my granny, in her 80s, has only just started getting a few silver hairs, and most of her hair is still its original colour...
    Wow, that's impressive, kudos to your grandmother and her resilient hair follicles! I find it interesting that you all have different "silvering" experiences. I always assumed it was a familial trait and I would end up salt and peppery like my mom and grandma are right now, maybe there is hope for a full head of white in my future still...

Finally APL, next is BSL Sterlyn's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/23/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Blueyedfall View Post
    Wow, that's impressive, kudos to your grandmother and her resilient hair follicles! I find it interesting that you all have different "silvering" experiences. I always assumed it was a familial trait and I would end up salt and peppery like my mom and grandma are right now, maybe there is hope for a full head of white in my future still...
    I think it depends on who you take after and the luck of the genetic draw. My maternal grandfather, mother, brother and sister all started with silvers early. I have a different father than my two siblings, so it most probably came from my mother. My children, all late 20's to early 30's, have yet to see any gray. My children's father's side of the family, for the most part doesn't gray until much later in life, usually around 50's or later, and it seems none of my kids inherited that trait from me, if they had I'm assuming it would have started to show up already.
    Last edited by Sterlyn; February 8th, 2015 at 03:29 PM.

Length
    CBL/BSL/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

39 for me. I have about five pure white now.

{APL♥ BSL♥ MBL ♥ Waist ♥ Hip ♥ TBL ♥ Classic}

Length
    Pixie/MBL/WL
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by RedStripe View Post
    I think I got my first grays at around 25.
    Same here!
    I'm starting over but this time I'm growing out my n a t u r a l hair... it might take awhile but this time I'm in no hurry!
    Last cut: 10/16/2014 - pixie /chin /neck / shoulder / APL / BSL

Length
    1"/4"/31
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

I have four white patches that started when I was about 13 or 14. The patches are exactly where Rogue from X-Men has her's. Which I think is cool. I was diagnosed with ventilago and then the right side of my face started turning WHITE, even though I have a fair/very light olive complection there was a noticeable difference. Luckily when I turned 19 the ventaligo on my face started receding and now you can barely tell it's there. My patches of white hair still remain. I used to be self-conscious about it. But now I rarely remember or acknowledge it unless someone asks, which is rare.
    Neck -> Cl -> Sl -> Apl -> Bsl -> WL
    Theory says Shoulder Length by December 31, 2015

Length
    17/22/>34
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Since I've been a teen there were a few silver streaks mixing nicely into my ash-blonde nuances, especially in sunlight. It makes my hair look as if it had been prof dyed. :-)
    (though it's never been near any dye, ever)

Length
    <1"/23"/Term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

I skipped grey to go straight to white, but I got my first patch when I was fifteen. Luckily, it's well hidden and hasn't grown very much.
    Lady Eraisuithiel, Joyful Daughter of the King

Shoulder - Armpit - Bra Strap - Mid-back - Waist - Hip - Tailbone - Classic

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Well how do you define "started greying"? I got my first piece at 30, but so far (at 42) I have just two. Does that count as greying? I think for my family late 40s to early 50s is the official time for grey hair to become noticeable.