Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pdy2kn6 View Post
    Hey, I want to start using oils on my hair. So far I rarely use oils/deep treatments on my hair, however now it is growing longer, I feel I really need to start asap. I really don't know what type oil I should buy online. Or would simple olive oil from my kitchen cupboard be equally effective for restoring moisture? Are there any instructions for applying olive oil in to hair (presuming olive oil is good for hair)?
    Sure, lots of people use olive oil on their hair. If you go to the articles section, there's an Oiling Tutorial article. I *think* it's under the natural hair care section, but I could be wrong...

Length
    16.5/30/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

I've oiled my hair (over oiled pre wash) with Monoi oil. I have a few questions and although I've been researching, I need to know...how do I get it out of my hair without using a clarifier AND, what's the proper technique (also can't find) for cleaning my BBB? I remember mom throwing all combs and brushes in a pot of boiling water, but will that damage my BBB?

Awaiting your answers, (I really need to wash my hair, lol!
    My Goal Color! (My best friend's hair!)

Length
    MBL/APL/Clssc
    Type
    3c/F/M/ii

How about castor oil? I mix it with my coconut oil at about 10% and it makes my hair so soft. I would like to know if it penetrates or sits on top of my hair.

Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I know that coconut oil, at least, is a medium chain triglyceride, so it is a shorter/ smaller molecule than many fats. Since it is also saturated, that makes it really good at penetrating hair.

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

You NEED to add Carrot oil. Carrot oil is expensive, so it is usually in oil mixes some containing mineral oil, but there are plenty out there mixed with tea tree oil as well as sunflower.

Wether or not it penetrates I do not know, however, my hair soaks it up. Greasy to not greasy in about a half an hour. It is fantastic for shine on RED hair, but works well on other hair colors (it does not impart color).
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    You NEED to add Carrot oil. Carrot oil is expensive, so it is usually in oil mixes some containing mineral oil, but there are plenty out there mixed with tea tree oil as well as sunflower.

Wether or not it penetrates I do not know, however, my hair soaks it up. Greasy to not greasy in about a half an hour. It is fantastic for shine on RED hair, but works well on other hair colors (it does not impart color).
    Carrots and I'm sure carrot oil is high in beta-carotene, an inactive form of vitamin A. It is an oil/fat soluble vitamin, a hydrocarbon with no functional groups. This can penetrate the hair shaft and skin just like Vitamin E oil.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I did read some very promising stuff on beta carotene for hair (applied topically) though i can't remember the details now, but another good sourse is red palm oil, which apparently offers the same benefits as coconut oil, though the one i found was by KTC brand and had been hydrogenated.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    15"/~ 27"/48"
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Silver & Gold View Post
    It should help a lot of newbies to sort things out as well.
    Amen to that!
    Great thread!
    I'm printing! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan View Post
    Carrots and I'm sure carrot oil is high in beta-carotene, an inactive form of vitamin A. It is an oil/fat soluble vitamin, a hydrocarbon with no functional groups. This can penetrate the hair shaft and skin just like Vitamin E oil.
    I looked into adding Carrot Oil to the grouping of oils in the first post but I was only familiar with Carrot Seed Oil which is an EO (essential oil) and would need to be mixed with a carrier in order to use. In this case whether it sat on or was absorbed by the hair really has more to do with the carrier oil. Although I suppose it is possible that adding certain EO to a carrier might increase that carrier's ability to penetrate the hair shaft. I've not heard of this but I leave room for the possibility since I don't know all that much about it.

I also found a carrot infused oil in which the root of the carrot is infused into another oil. Again, we're looking at the oil that the carrot is infused into. So I'm not certain what to do with carrot oil.

One thought is that I could add a section with EO's or infusions that benefit the hair.

Quote Originally Posted by RedElephant View Post
    How about castor oil? I mix it with my coconut oil at about 10% and it makes my hair so soft. I would like to know if it penetrates or sits on top of my hair.
    It does seem that caster oil is absorbed by the hair. I'm adding it to the list on the first page. Thanks!