Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: jabakusum taila anyone?

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: jabakusum taila anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
    had me interested till mineral oil then i stopped reading. Good for some not for me.
    It seems to be the one ingredient my hair totally hates too. Makes it greasy and dehydrated at the same time. And my hair likes oils generally and is also fine with all manner of sulphates and cones. But it's good to highlight it for those of us who don't get on with the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by virgo75 View Post
    Agree with the bolded.

My hair seems to like Parachute Coconut Oil(which is my favorite coconut oil) and the Dabur Amla Oil which contains mineral oil. When I need something to make my hair feel soft and silky I reach for the Dabur Amla.

I don't think what have been advertised on multiple hair boards as being evil(cones, sulfates, mineral oil, etc.) are evil. What matters most is how you take care of your hair and what your hair likes.
    I agree. In fact, mineral oil is a medical product ...so is petrolatum. I can't understand how people think it's harmful. If you're allergic or get acne from it, by all means, don't use it. But it's not "evil." LOLOL

So anyway, to the OP, have you tried Navratna Oil? I think it has many of the same ingredients.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Ktani thank you so much for the links.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Catladyintown View Post
    Ktani thank you so much for the links.
    My pleasure!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I would avoid a product intended for scalp use that listed the first ingredient as "vegetable oil". I'd want to know what that oil is but also with that description it does not indicate the oil will be a good quality. Mineral oil i would also avoid in a formula intended for the scalp combined with ingredients like the hibiscus, amla etc.
    In this book Aromadermatology it says this

"Mineral oils
    Mineral oils do not contain any vitamins or fatty acids and cannot be absorbed by healthy intact skin but create a thin film on the surface blocking the pores. Mixing essential oils into mineral oil is inappropriate, as this inhibits their absorbtion. Although mineral oils will not go rancid they provide no nourishment to the skin and are not suitable for use in aromatherapy formulations."

Now the issue is not whether they are bad for hair, the issue is that an oil like mineral oil is not suitable where the transdermal absorbtion of herb extracts is the advertised intention of a product.
    Add to this a silicone in the ingredients list and i would avoid that product completely unless all that is wanted from it is a pleasant smelling protective oil for the length.

Mineral oil is used in many Indian hair oils but is contrary to the original formulas used traditionally. I am not aware of any Ayurvedic or Siddha texts advocating the use of mineral oil but companies like Hesh produce an oil range under the name "ancient formule" with images of traditional Indian representations claiming to be formulated as per ancient vedic texts. These invariably now contain mineral oil, generic vegetable oil, silicones and other ingredients that i challenge anybody to find in the vedic texts.

It is not just an issue of whether mineral oil is harmfull (though i would not be keen on using an oil that intensifies UV rays unless it had additional sunscreens added) but it is an indicator of dishonesty by the company.

It is of course up to the individual whether or not they choose to use products containing mineral oil, silicones, sulphates etc or not. I am however getting very irritated at the reaction of certain posters whenever someone mentions they wish to avoid a specific ingredient or feel that ingredient is not appropriate for their intended use of a product.
    Those people who are uncomfortable using mineral oil are just as entitled to avoid it as those who decide they do want to use it are to the freedom to make their own choices. Bombarding them with endless quotes from the same scientific studies and the same posters ganging up on anybody disagreeing with them is starting to feel oppressive and reminding me of bullying. It is in part why i don't post as much lately.

ETA Brunette, if you want some hibiscus oil, i'll make you some
    Last edited by ChloeDharma; September 27th, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

ChloeDharma, thank you, you put into words exactly what I had in mind. Good post.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

People are entitled to make any choices they wish regarding products and ingredients. Posting innacurate information to support a viewpoint, and scare people into accepting such information is another issue.

Mineral oil does not intensify UV rays. That is innacurate and not supported by fact, and is just one example.

Making statements about not wanting to continue a discussion, and posting an inflammatory link at the same time with no discussion is counterproductive.

Bullying is being unreasonable when people cannot calmly discuss and debate issues, and then make negative and personal statements about the posts of other members here.
    Last edited by ktani; September 28th, 2010 at 05:14 AM. Reason: punctuation

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    People are entitled to make any choices they wish regarding products and ingredients. Posting innacurate information to support a viewpoint, and scare people into accepting such information is another issue.

Mineral oil does not intensify UV rays. That is innacurate and not supported by fact, and is just one example.

Making statements about not wanting to continue a discussion, and posting an inflammatory link at the same time with no discussion is counterproductive.

Bullying is being unreasonable when people cannot calmly discuss and debate issues and then make negative, personal statements about the posts of other members here.
    People post experiences that their hair has reacted badly to mineral oil. That is NOT innacurate information that is a valid testimony to a reaction to an ingredient.

As someone who in their entire life only received one bad case of sunburn which also was the time that a friends mother applied baby oil to me i'll choose to heed the warning about mineral oil intensifying UV rays.

Your last 2 comments seem a little odd. I've not seen members who choose to avoid mineral oil behaving in the way you describe, i have however seen their posts met with derision by not just one person and the suggestion is that those choosing to avoid an ingredient are foolish for making the choice to do so.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    People post experiences that their hair has reacted badly to mineral oil. That is NOT innacurate information that is a valid testimony to a reaction to an ingredient.

As someone who in their entire life only received one bad case of sunburn which also was the time that a friends mother applied baby oil to me i'll choose to heed the warning about mineral oil intensifying UV rays.

Your last 2 comments seem a little odd. I've not seen members who choose to avoid mineral oil behaving in the way you describe, i have however seen their posts met with derision by not just one person and the suggestion is that those choosing to avoid an ingredient are foolish for making the choice to do so.
    I am not referring to personal experiences with regard to innacurate information.

Tanning oils of any kind without sunscreen additives do not provide enough protection from UV rays to avoid problems. That is not the same thing as intensifying UV rays, no disrespect to your friend's mother intended.

My last 2 comments are reflective of my having read all the posts in this thread and referring to selected ones. I stand by them (my comments).
    Last edited by ktani; September 28th, 2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: clarification

Type
    1c/M/C/iii

For what it's worth, the jabakusum taila I'm using is by C.K. Sen & co, as Hairyfairy suspected. I still don't know what's in it, but I didn't use it for the last 2 days because I was too tired. And my hair isn't as soft or silky as it had been. I'm off tomorrow and with the flood warnings already posted, I'm going with a deep treatment tonight.

Deep treatment, vacation day, heavy rain (maybe), and I even have a book to read! It's going to be a great day!