Page 35 of 238 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your Paranda/Parandi

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Show me your Paranda/Parandi

Quote Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
    I like this one best. Not only does it appear that your braid is much thicker, the extra length wound around the edges makes it look so finished and perfect.
    Oh thank you i didn't know if it looked to artificial, i found some green yarn after all and as its my favourite colour i may try it tomorrow. For me they are great my hair isn't that thin so at waist i still can't do a great braided bun but, with these i can
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I think i got it right this time. I could see me making colours to match all my outfits

Hip Length braid.

By wavyone at 2012-05-23

Love this colour in red hair!

By wavyone at 2012-05-23

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Love that shade of green in your hair, bunzfan!

Length
    0.5/53/60+
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

I've made myself a couple of these and it works well. I discovered I must plait my hair in a funny way as I always end up with one strand longer than the others, my hemline now grows like this because of the breakage from the elastic I use to tie off the plait. And, with the paranda I still have one strand longer than the others. Anyway, I'm hoping it will go some way towards sorting out the thinning/elastic breakage I have at the ends.

I've used acrylic yarn and a wool/silk mix yarn and I hate them - they dry my hair out (wool wicks moisture out of the hair, so it's not ideal anyway) so I'm considering making one either out of silk strips (1.75m long each) or just using some of my cotton patchwork fabric, cut into wide strips, sewn down one side so the patten is both sides of the strip and then sewing them all together at one end. Or I might just buy some ribbons and sew them together at one end.

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I've been making these for my girlies, but instead of single braids with one big paranda, I've been giving them little braids, with one strand of yarn for each section, so it's not so big. Like a hair wrap or a single dreadlock. I used those yarns that are fluffy and have pom-pom like bits in them. Colorful and fun. I put a tassel and a bead on the end of each one... the kiddos are loving them!

I've made several for myself, and my next project is to make two, and do english braids on the sides with them, maybe even some double bun action, too.
    It is what it is. You are what you it. There are no mistakes. - Tom Robbins

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

A few people on facebook asked me to post a tutorial how i put mine in because i think i do it differently. I thought it might help some of you to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7880082...79547762/show/

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I really love it. Maybe this would be a good way for me to wear my hair up and make it look like i have a bigger bun. My bun is small and dinky and it makes me not wanna wear my hair up at all.
    I'm wondering what yarn I would use. I wouldnt just use your typical acrylic yarn. The feel gives me the creeps. Im on a mission now I want to make one today! I might make a little test one with some yarn i have
    Taking an LHC break.

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akka naeda View Post
    I've made myself a couple of these and it works well. I discovered I must plait my hair in a funny way as I always end up with one strand longer than the others, my hemline now grows like this because of the breakage from the elastic I use to tie off the plait. And, with the paranda I still have one strand longer than the others. Anyway, I'm hoping it will go some way towards sorting out the thinning/elastic breakage I have at the ends.

I've used acrylic yarn and a wool/silk mix yarn and I hate them - they dry my hair out (wool wicks moisture out of the hair, so it's not ideal anyway) so I'm considering making one either out of silk strips (1.75m long each) or just using some of my cotton patchwork fabric, cut into wide strips, sewn down one side so the patten is both sides of the strip and then sewing them all together at one end. Or I might just buy some ribbons and sew them together at one end.
    I like the fact the elastic goes on the paranda and not my hair. I always inadvertantly break a few hairs on my hemline trying to remove the elastic, even the "safe" kind.

I use the cotton yarn. Have not had any drying issues but it IS summer here. I don't recommend silky fabrics because the hair tends to slip out of it and it gets fuzzy faster.

One of the good things about parandi is that even if the strands of hair end up uneven towards the end, the paranda doesn't, so I don't even worry about getting my hair divided evenly. In fact, the paranda finish off better if they are NOT even at the end. At least that is my experience.

I get comments on my parandi almost every time I wear them out. I have had several pick up the tassle and examine it, wanting to know what it is and almost everyone asks me how I "get it in there". One lady said I need to make them and sell them, I told her it was not MY idea to sell, that they are sold online and easily made yourself. It's been called clever, cute, creative, pretty, different and I am sure other comments I am forgetting.

It's just yarn. You would think I had gold braided in there LOL.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    0.5/53/60+
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingSoLong View Post
    I like the fact the elastic goes on the paranda and not my hair. I always inadvertantly break a few hairs on my hemline trying to remove the elastic, even the "safe" kind.

I use the cotton yarn. Have not had any drying issues but it IS summer here. I don't recommend silky fabrics because the hair tends to slip out of it and it gets fuzzy faster.

One of the good things about parandi is that even if the strands of hair end up uneven towards the end, the paranda doesn't, so I don't even worry about getting my hair divided evenly. In fact, the paranda finish off better if they are NOT even at the end. At least that is my experience.

I get comments on my parandi almost every time I wear them out. I have had several pick up the tassle and examine it, wanting to know what it is and almost everyone asks me how I "get it in there". One lady said I need to make them and sell them, I told her it was not MY idea to sell, that they are sold online and easily made yourself. It's been called clever, cute, creative, pretty, different and I am sure other comments I am forgetting.

It's just yarn. You would think I had gold braided in there LOL.
    I'm not using an elastic to tie off the paranda, just wrapping two of the strands round the other. But because of the way I plait my hair, even though the paranda strands start off the same length, by the time I finish the plaiting they are uneven, exactly the same as my hair is. And then wrapping the strands/not using an elastic to tie it off exaggerates this, although I can see if I had decorative tassels it would probably look good.

Thanks for the warning about silky fabrics; I'll experiment with some silky ribbon to see how it behaves, but probably I won't have any trouble with it being fuzzy because I tend to wear my hair up - my go to style is a plaited fig 8 held with a Ficcare Max. Also, I don't like wearing the paranda down. Even though I like the additional length (I have a knee length plait at last!), I don't like the look of the massive reduction in thickness between my nape hair and the paranda tail which is less than a third of my plait at my nape. It's probably just something I need to get used to.

Length
    26.5"/46.5"/...."
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

here's mine