Page 3446 of 4455 FirstFirst ... 244629463346339634363444344534463447344834563496354639464446 ... LastLast
Results 34,451 to 34,460 of 44550

Thread: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    It lasts about 3 seconds before it tangles, frizzes or otherwise. It's also more 'out' than 'down' if that makes sense. I don't get to really enjoy length and I'm not a fan of all of the volume.

Thank you so much though
    Mine does the same! That's why I have a claw clip always with me. Would that leave indentures in your curls?
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Length
    1"/36"/42"
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    I wish I could wear my hair "down". It's not even a concept with my hair type, unless I heat style it. It always gets me pretty down.
    Even though we have very different hair types I can totally relate. In my case it’s because my hair is unruly, unpredictable and because it can morph into craziness in mere minutes. But what a revelation long hair and updos have been. Every day is a good hair day and no more worry and angst over it.

The pictures that I’ve seen of your hair are all very cute so that’s consolation but I also understand the disappointment of not being able to just wear hair down sometimes.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

My constant sweating now in the summer is maintaining texture at my roots very well.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I’ve been working with sheep’s fleeces this week and keep thinking, lanolin is a much nicer word than sebum

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyponies View Post
    I’ve been working with sheep’s fleeces this week and keep thinking, lanolin is a much nicer word than sebum
    So could products could be made vegan by substituting lanolin for human sebum? It sounds spectacularly unsavoury, and goodness knows how it would be harvested. Then again, the equivalent from a sheep doesn’t exactly sound inviting.

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    So could products could be made vegan by substituting lanolin for human sebum? It sounds spectacularly unsavoury, and goodness knows how it would be harvested. Then again, the equivalent from a sheep doesn’t exactly sound inviting.
    Hehe! *picturing sebum gathering erm, spatula?*

Lanolin in fleece from a well cared for (no more chemicals than necessary and as clean as a sheep can be) is imo very pleasant indeed on the hands. I was gifted 6 fleeces from a neighbour with pet sheep, and am now crafting busily.

But I’ve no idea what the process is to get a pot full of lanolin.

Bodies are amazing.

Lanolin in fleece from a well cared for (no more chemicals than necessary and as clean as a sheep can be) is imo very pleasant indeed on the hands. I was gifted 6 fleeces from a neighbour with pet sheep, and am now crafting busily.

Bodies are amazing.
    Oh wow I used to love watching Playschool (or whichever programme it was) where they would show fleecing, carding, spinning, dyeing etc. I’d be interested in a blog post on what you’re doing if you fancied making one!

I want to know how lanolin is separated now

ETA: “Lanolin is extracted by washing the wool in hot water with a special wool scouring detergent to remove dirt, wool grease (crude lanolin), sweat salts, and anything else stuck to the wool. The wax is then obtained using either centrifugal separation or solvent extraction.” https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...iences/lanolin
    Last edited by Lady Stardust; June 17th, 2020 at 11:23 AM.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Bodies are amazing.
    Ethically speaking, I would think the lanolin from well cared-for sheep ought to be vegan - they *need* to be shorn, so it's not exploiting the animals in any way

ETA: If anything, I'd be more worried about humans consenting to allow their sebum to be collected out of desperation for money rather than because it was safe or good for them!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Oh wow I used to love watching Playschool (or whichever programme it was) where they would show fleecing, carding, spinning, dyeing etc. I’d be interested in a blog post on what you’re doing if you fancied making one!

I want to know how lanolin is separated now

ETA: “Lanolin is extracted by washing the wool in hot water with a special wool scouring detergent to remove dirt, wool grease (crude lanolin), sweat salts, and anything else stuck to the wool. The wax is then obtained using either centrifugal separation or solvent extraction.” https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...iences/lanolin
    Fascinating. Thanks for looking that up!

I’ll try to get some photos in the next few days to share on a blog post here.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Ethically speaking, I would think the lanolin from well cared-for sheep ought to be vegan - they *need* to be shorn, so it's not exploiting the animals in any way

ETA: If anything, I'd be more worried about humans consenting to allow their sebum to be collected out of desperation for money rather than because it was safe or good for them!
    I think sheep produce an awful lot of lanolin. It’s very coated. How clever to make all that fatty liquid from mainly grass?

Up until now my neighbour has been burning the fleeces every year just to get rid of them. So it’s good to have them used rather than wasted. They are beautiful to me.

I’d choose wool over acrylic any day.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

"Crude lanolin constitutes about 5–25% of the weight of freshly shorn wool. The wool from one sheep will produce about 250–300 mL of recoverable wool grease."

I think sheep produce an awful lot of lanolin. It’s very coated. How clever to make all that fatty liquid from mainly grass?

Up until now my neighbour has been burning the fleeces every year just to get rid of them. So it’s good to have them used rather than wasted. They are beautiful to me.

I’d choose wool over acrylic any day.
    Oh my, what a shame! I'm so glad you're able to make use of them.

I've unfortunately only ever found wool to be scratchy - maybe I need to seek out handmade stuff in future to see if it's any better.

I use a hand cream with lanolin (the jury is still out about whether my skin likes or merely tolerates it) but I imagine it might be a tad too heavy/waxy an ingredient for my hair
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness