Page 3437 of 4454 FirstFirst ... 243729373337338734273435343634373438343934473487353739374437 ... LastLast
Results 34,361 to 34,370 of 44538

Thread: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by meepster View Post
    What about diluting Dr Bronner's? Is there a way to do that to not damage hair? I'm trying to avoid conventional shampoos for various reasons (including the crazy shedding rate), and ordering stuff is complicated during the pandemic, so there's not much I can experiment with, but we do have plenty of Dr Bronner's around the house. I'd been using it straight, but I guess diluting it would be better?

So I'm kinda putting things together that I have extremely tough hair and a very sensitive scalp - which makes life interesting as I try to grow out this mop.
    Yes, technically, but generally speaking you have to dilute a solution to 1/10 of its original concentration to reduce the pH by 1. Whether this holds exactly true with castile soap I'm not exactly sure because I don't fully know what's actually in it!

However it occurs to me that you could protect your hair with conditioner (say, from the ears or neck down) and wash your scalp with a diluted solution - perhaps not ideal but better for your hair. The difference between skin and hair (which I often forget, because my own skin doesn't seem to do this) is that generally skin should be able to tolerate and recover from brief periods of being subjected to a higher pH, the acid mantle usually restores itself after a while; whereas with hair the protective layer on the cuticle does not recover - once it's worn off, it's gone, and all damage to hair is cumulative. So using a diluted solution of Dr Bronner for your scalp whilst protecting as much of your hair as possible from it could be a reasonable interim measure. Better than baking soda, that's for sure and you should probably follow it up with an acidic rinse like you're already doing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by meepster View Post
    I can't even remember anymore, quite honestly. I switched over to Dr Bronner's when I got pregnant, to avoid fragrance ingredients and other things I didn't want in my body. That was 5 years ago. I'd used all sorts of shampoos prior to that (with silicones, without, plain, fancy, all sorts of stuff), and always had crazy shedding. My whole life, I had hair everywhere and clumps of hair coming out every time I washed my hair. Never had any hair loss that was noticeable, but always had crazy shedding. My mother is the same way.

Dr. Bronner's didn't fix the shedding problem (and honestly, I didn't know it was a problem - I just thought it was normal for me). But just recently, after switching over to fairly infrequent BS/ACV, I noticed that I'm not shedding like that anymore. I wash my hair and maybe a couple of hairs come out. I don't know what happened, and it may not be the BS/ACV, but whatever it is, I kinda want to keep not shedding.

Is there some sort of gentle way of washing the hair that doesn't involve conventional shampoos and still involves some sort of un-greasing? I can't do WO - tried that and didn't work.
    You may benefit from herbal or flour washing, possibly, but it is not a simple or quick process to experiment and find the right mixture. Some members on here swear by it and for them it was worth the time and effort (and cost) to find what works amazingly and then they can stick with it for life. For others of us, finding the right shampoo (or conditioner, to co-wash) is the route of experimentation that ultimately proves to be best. Everyone's different
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    2/waist/???
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Yes, technically, but generally speaking you have to dilute a solution to 1/10 of its original concentration to reduce the pH by 1. Whether this holds exactly true with castile soap I'm not exactly sure because I don't fully know what's actually in it!

However it occurs to me that you could protect your hair with conditioner (say, from the ears or neck down) and wash your scalp with a diluted solution - perhaps not ideal but better for your hair. The difference between skin and hair (which I often forget, because my own skin doesn't seem to do this) is that generally skin should be able to tolerate and recover from brief periods of being subjected to a higher pH, the acid mantle usually restores itself after a while; whereas with hair the protective layer on the cuticle does not recover - once it's worn off, it's gone, and all damage to hair is cumulative. So using a diluted solution of Dr Bronner for your scalp whilst protecting as much of your hair as possible from it could be a reasonable interim measure. Better than baking soda, that's for sure and you should probably follow it up with an acidic rinse like you're already doing, too.

Hm, that's an idea! I'll have to try that next time I wash. Do you think coconut oil would work equally well? I've been using that on my hair with some success, and I do have a lot of it around.

Seriously, I'm so appreciating all the great advice I'm getting here - thank you so much!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

My fiance decided to shave his head. He looks incredibly handsome and my hair has never felt longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    My hair dried at record speed today, in just 3 hours while I drank some tea outside at the porch, enjoying the sunshine.
    Just curious, how do you dry it - do you simply leave it be?

I find that my hair dries way, way faster if I finger comb it and separate the strands as much as possible (when wet they try to clump together, so the total surface area of the hair is much smaller leading to slower evaporation)

Default Re: The Random Hair Thoughts Thread

Omg!! She is Amazing !!

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by erebus View Post
    Just curious, how do you dry it - do you simply leave it be?

I find that my hair dries way, way faster if I finger comb it and separate the strands as much as possible (when wet they try to clump together, so the total surface area of the hair is much smaller leading to slower evaporation)
    I mostly leave it be but also kind of "lift" the roots every once in a while to allow some air to pass through. I try not to separate the clumps too much, though, as my hair does really well in clumps.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    My fiance decided to shave his head. He looks incredibly handsome and my hair has never felt longer!
    Haha That’s a win win situation!

————

I was really frustrated with my hair, which is completely down to emotional reasons, so rather than chop a few inches off, I treated myself to a new leave in conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In. I’ve only used it once so far but my hair feels and looks so much better. Even my husband noticed. He said it looks sleeker.

It adds slip and has film forming humectants, but no silicones. I know silicones aren’t the devil, but I usually get on better without them. I might try a Giovanni shampoo in the future, and I noticed that it contains amodimethicone. As far as I know that’s one of the better silicones? Repairs and doesn’t build up too much?

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    I was really frustrated with my hair, which is completely down to emotional reasons, so rather than chop a few inches off, I treated myself to a new leave in conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In. I’ve only used it once so far but my hair feels and looks so much better. Even my husband noticed. He said it looks sleeker.

It adds slip and has film forming humectants, but no silicones. I know silicones aren’t the devil, but I usually get on better without them. I might try a Giovanni shampoo in the future, and I noticed that it contains amodimethicone. As far as I know that’s one of the better silicones? Repairs and doesn’t build up too much?
    I'm glad you feel better! To not cut and to treat yourself to a new product was a very wise decision indeed!

Amodimethicone is my favourite silicone alongside bis-aminopropyl dimethicone. You're right, these are polymer-type silicones which aren't supposed to build up on themselves. I experience much more buildup from natural plant oils, let alone butters, than these silicones.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    I'm glad you feel better! To not cut and to treat yourself to a new product was a very wise decision indeed!

Amodimethicone is my favourite silicone alongside bis-aminopropyl dimethicone. You're right, these are polymer-type silicones which aren't supposed to build up on themselves. I experience much more buildup from natural plant oils, let alone butters, than these silicones.
    Thank you Ylva, that’s really useful to know

I love your new(ish) signature pic!

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post

That's the brand I was considering when I'm closer to running out! I was looking at it yesterday, this feels like a sign. :) They describe it as very light, does it feel that way?
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (curly)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!