Page 314 of 878 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316324364414814 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

GlassEyes, from what you've written, I think you'll have success with less moisturizing bars as you said. If you haven't used cones for awhile, chances are your hair would be more receptive to the bars than it was in the past. Even if you weren't using cones the last time you tried shampoo bars, your hair is probably in better condition now.

My favorite CV bars that are just good basic shampoo bars are Nettle and Herb Garden, so maybe you'll be interested in those. I also use products that can build up, even though they're cone-free, and shampoo bars work really well for that purpose.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I'll go with that one then! ^_^ Thanks!
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

What would be the best way to go from using cones to shampoo bars? My hair hates baking soda, so that's out as a clarifier. The only shampoo in my house that is cone free is Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo. Would this possibly work? I really don't want to have to buy a full bottle of cone-free clarifying shampoo just to use it once...

On another note, has anyone else had problems with the CV website? Everytime I go to check out, some glitch happens. I don't get it. And is anyone still using Serpentine poo bars? I saw the links early in the thread, but it looks like their website and etsy has been inactive for a few months. Their scents sound so yummy!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

has left the building
    Length
    short/22/waist

Okay, I'm officially done with CV bars once I run out of the samples. Phooey. If I ever do go back to bars, it's going to be the mehandi ones which work very well for my hair. Plus, their lotus fragrance... mmmm
    [SIGP

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinPrincess View Post
    What would be the best way to go from using cones to shampoo bars? My hair hates baking soda, so that's out as a clarifier. The only shampoo in my house that is cone free is Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo. Would this possibly work? I really don't want to have to buy a full bottle of cone-free clarifying shampoo just to use it once...
    I think you could use the baby shampoo for a few washes (along with cone-free conditioner, if you like). That should slowly remove any build up. I myself never clarified formally (i.e. clarifying shampoo, baking soda) before tranisitioning and I used to use some heavy duty cones.

My transition, however, was from sulfates to CO to shampoo bars, so your experience may differ.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_jb View Post
    I think you could use the baby shampoo for a few washes (along with cone-free conditioner, if you like). That should slowly remove any build up. I myself never clarified formally (i.e. clarifying shampoo, baking soda) before tranisitioning and I used to use some heavy duty cones.

My transition, however, was from sulfates to CO to shampoo bars, so your experience may differ.
    Thanks! Once I get some samples, I'll do that!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Length
    25/35/50?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

I thought that might have been the case, Cherry Sprinkle. I've got 3 LHC tabs up right now... In any case I was on that thread earlier and ogling the pretty hairdos, so I was glad to see it. [/hijack]

I had an epiphany yesterday. I've been doing CWC with shampoo bars for a while and they have been lovely. My recently crunchy hair is because I'm seeing if I can ditch the conditioner. I used a soap bar on my ends because I was afraid of it being dry and the shampoo bar on my scalp. My scalp hair as been lovely. It's just my dang ends that are doing funky things. I think I need to suck it up and use just the poo bar and see how that works.

For those of you that have had bars that were too moisturizing make your hair funky, is it mostly the ends/length or is it all of your hair from the scalp down?

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

GlassEyes, this may have been said, but have you considered trying a vinegar rinse before you condition with a 'poo bar? I'm using a more moisturizing conditioner instead of vinegar this week (testing products that I'll review later in the week), and I'm considering just using vinegar either between the bar and condish, or after the condish to remove excesswaxiness and oil (I'm an oily-scalped 1b, rather than a bountiful type 3).

DolphinPrincess, have you looked at the travel section of your drugstore or grocery store? They often have <$1 small bottles of sulfate shampoo in different formulations that you could use to clarify. The travel size is usually good for at least 1-2 deep washes for me.

Length
    SL/>SL/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/i/ii

I'd say that if you've already tried a few samples from CV with unpleasant results, move on to another bar maker. A few of us here, including myself, have had a much better time with the bars from Sweet Creek Herbs on etsy; they have sampler packs that are very reasonable(I swear I'm not affiliated). There are a number of sellers on etsy that make bars that I've had my eye on. Maybe do some browsing there.

I tried 4 CV samples (babassu & marshmallow, honey butter soap, nettle, and summer sunshine...so both cleansing and moisturizing bars) repeatedly, different methods, with pretty uniformly wretched results. The 4 samples from SCH I have ALL work very nicely; even if I do something wrong (like make my acid rinse too weak) it doesn't result in BAD hair, just not optimal hair.

Length
    SL/HIP/CLSC
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I have found my hair works best with the more moisturizing bars such as Olive & Babassu from CV.. my hair often lacks moisture and protein so I have a sample of the Beer, Egg, & Honey also.. does anyone have any suggestions for other bars I should/could try?

Lady Ardwinna of the Blessed Soil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!