Thread: Coconut oil saved my hair from bleach damage O.O

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    25/29.5/32
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: - Coconut oil saved my hair from bleach damage O.O

Quote Originally Posted by BrightEyes View Post
    In my experience, the coconut oil did not affect the time it took the bleach to work or the effectiveness of the bleach. My stylist did the foils then I sat under the dryer for the same amount of time as I've always done (20 minutes). The only differences I've noticed have been good ones

I don't have experience with a whole head of dye, but I do get low lights and have also been dying the bottom half of my hair. The dye turned out beautifully as well with the coconut oil.

There is a thread around here about coconut oil and how it protects from hydrogen peroxide damage (I'm sorry I'm not sure how to add links). If I remember correctly, those that dyed their hair and used coconut oil reported to not have problems with dye uptake. Yes, Ktani's research was wonderful, my hair is grateful to her.
    thank you so much for answering my question! I will definately be trying this out.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Coconut oil has saved my hair from bleaching as well! I usually soak it overnight before I bleach and it has seriously reduced any damage.

In the UK you can buy coconut oil in Superdrug for £1.99. It's in a white circular pot in the haircare section! =)
    To bra strap length, and beyond!
    *Pixie*Shag*Jaw*Shoulder*Collarbone*APLBSL

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    thank you so much for answering my question! I will definately be trying this out.
    No problem You should try it and let us know how it works.

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

My hairdresser has never complained about my hair being difficult to seperate for highlights, i don't go in with it totally saturated and wet looking though, i just apply enough to slightly coat each hair. I just get my roots bleached now so i just apply the coconut oil at least an hour before going to the salon.

For me coconut oil appears to have totally eliminated damage (i think some of ktani's experiments showed total lack of damage too), my new growth since starting to use coconut oil feels like virgin hair in texture and condition and never appears dry or frizzy like my older hair. When i run my fingers through my hair i can clearly feel the point at which I started to use coconut oil (although this is partly because my hairdresser left the bleach on too long the time before when she was a trainee). My line of damage at the moment is at the sort of level where i wear my ponytails/buns so i've totally cut out hairbands and now only use sticks because I know im at a very fragile point.

For those of you with bleach damage from the past i would recommend trying CO routines, when i first started reading LHC I was scared my hair would all snap off at the crown it was so brittle, since using CO and replacing cones with oils my hair no longer looks damaged and it has really been a miracle. People are shocked when i tell them my colour isn't quite natural (about half natural, half highlights) and always ask how i can bleach and still have hair in such good condition with natural curls. LHC I really do love you
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Also about the UK coconut oil question - I personally would recommend that you only buy virgin coconut oil and not the refined type. Yes refined may be much cheaper but it doesn't work nearly as well. I buy mine online from coconoil.co.uk (you can also get it from amazon), it might seem expensive at first but it lasts a long time
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

^ Well, I must really beg to differ on that, i.e. the refined vs. virgin question As I said, I've saved my hair with the refined one, have hardly any damage at all, so can't really see how the virgin one could work better than that for this purpose.

(To be taken internally I would recommend the virgin one, yes, but to use it on hair it's a bit of a waste and overkill to me...)

Length
    pixie/Hip/Class
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

It definitely has saved my hair. I can't let my hair grow natural, as much as I love blue black on myself. I have to be a redhead! So I bleach my roots about every two months.

I never get any split ends or other damage issues. My hair is pretty resilient by itself, but there is definitely a difference between using coconut oil and bleaching without it. My hair did get damaged before this.

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kellyannpow View Post
    i don't now where i can buy coconut oil,in the uk ? (((
    There are also many websites that sell in bulk for really cheap that ship worldwide. Shipping might be a little expensive but if you compare the shipping+oil cost and make an average it still might be cheaper than buying it in a store (usually the case) buying in bulk online is almost always cheaper than going to a store.

Some international websites
    Camnden Grey (.com) $7.90 (5.13 pounds) for 16 oz
    Ebay seller that ships internationally $9.99 (6.49 Pounds) for 16 oz (FREE SHIPPING)

Length
    14/14/20
    Type
    1c/M/ii

This is great news!! My hair is naturally a medium brown, but I've been highlighting it blonde for years. I'd love to grow it longer (it's currently just below APL), but I really love my look as a blonde, and don't want to go back to my dull brown. Speaking of which, does anyone have special tips for doing your own highlights? I've done a search on here for "highlighting" and "highlights", but have yet to find just what I'm looking for...

Length
    27/Clasc/48
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Coconut oil made my hair dry and brittle. i know it worked for some, but it made my hair break like crazy