Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget friendly panacea alternative?

Banned
    Length
    25/40+/fin

Default Re: Panacea Knockoff

wow....get a job? This is your advice? THAT is extremely uncalled for.

We don't know what the life situation of the OP is, or if she has a job, or goes to school, or is disabled, etc.

To suggest that someone else *get a job* so that they can support another persons business is just.....mind boggling and beyond rude.

For the *return some cans* comment, that was extremely out of line as well. the OP is not obligated to spend her money at anyones shop. She doesn't have to return cans or get a job so that she can buy any one item that anyone has for sale.

And for the perceived rudeness at asking for knockoffs, there are thread after thread after thread on recipes for knockoffs of many products. Just because the person who makes the name brand product happens to be a member here, does not make it any more rude or any less acceptable to try to find an ALTERNATIVE product.

She wasn't asking for something the exact same....just something SIMILAR.

Quote Originally Posted by dajanchen View Post
    I think Nightshade has already pointed it out. It´s not the same. The salve is great and not expensive at all.

Here me! I am right behind you. It is extremely rude to ask for a KNOCKOFF!

This!!! Get a job!
    Last edited by gretchen_hair; March 16th, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Not to get into any arguments here I'd just like to make an ingredient note that may be helpful to the people making things themselves. I make my own mixes and have never tried either of the cremes.

Note main ingredients, you can use those on your own. Interactions between ingredients do matter, also concentrations matter.

For example a conditioner may have 0.002% botanical ingredients and things like Fox's cream or panacea will have actual measurable amount of botanical ingredients other than the main base. The difference in effect is huge. It's all percentage dependent. Just like 1% SLS (aka. SDS) is ok in products and causes no harm in the majority but 20% will eat your skin off.
    Source that tested this both externally and internally in mice.

Take into account your ingredients themselves. Coconut oil is solid in cold climates, shea is pretty solid as well, the texture will vary according to the other ingredients. If you make your own take that into account. I can tell you now that in a colder climate a 50/50 coconut/shea mix is a brick that you'd have to chisel off to use. Guess how I know. You need something that stays liquid at all temperatures to soften it up then.

Also most cheaper sources contain other ingredients ( such as mineral oil) you would need to take that into account when you are making things. If you have a local source of nice cheaper but good quality ingredients then that is a great alternative.

Do your research before making it.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Fox's Original recipe has 3 main ingredients. Oil of choice, shea butter and conditioner of choice. The conditioner of choice can have botanical ingredients or not. It emulsifies the oil and shea butter. Essential oils are optional.

The recipe has been reported to work well with a number of oils and conditioners used. That is why it is still popular.
    ETA http://archive.longhaircommunity.com...ead.php?t=4487
    "1 part Shea Butter
    1 part Conditioner
    1/2 part Oil
    A few drops of essential oils that compliment your hair type and scent preference"

Yes, proportions do matter.

ETA:2 Emulsifying waxes can be bought to use instead of conditioner, for a Do It Yourself version, http://www.teachsoap.com/emulsifywax.html, and herbs can be added separately if one prefers. The recipe can be varied a number of ways.

ETA:3 Most conditioners are mostly water (some contain herbal "teas"), emulsifying waxes and other ingredients. The easiest way to do this is to try a conditioner you like with shea butter and an oil you like for your hair.
    Last edited by ktani; March 16th, 2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: ETA, ETA:2 and 3 and spelling

Length
    SL+/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jennescence View Post
    Does anyone know of something similar to Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve?
    I cannot afford hers even tho i would love to try it. Not just try it. I would like to buy the big one. Anywho...it would be nice to hear some suggestions Just something i can use until i can afford to buy hers.

You ok there, Jennescence? Just ignore all the fur flying. I see you're only 19 so probably in your first job and money is tight, so I totally understand the reason for the question. All kinds of people here have all kinds of different budgets, and there are often post with questions about DIY stuff so people can keep their budgets. You just had the bad luck to pick a product made by a well-loved forum member.
    I can't really offer a solution- I think the person (can't remember who it was) that posted that you would spend more money on the ingredients than on the Panacea is right, though. You could try coconut or olive oil until your budget loosens up?

FWIW, I have used Panacea, and it is loooooooovely. Good luck with whatever you try!
    Last edited by skaempfer; March 16th, 2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: can't spell worth a hoot.
    Microtrimming, cowashing, hoping for a miracle.

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jennescence View Post
    Does anyone know of something similar to Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve?
    I cannot afford hers even tho i would love to try it. Not just try it. I would like to buy the big one. Anywho...it would be nice to hear some suggestions Just something i can use until i can afford to buy hers.
    I suggest that you try the sample size of Panacea. With your length, it will last a very long time.
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Knockoffs have been promoted here like Sally's version of Biolage Conditioning Cream Correction: Balm - and shampoos that are knockoffs of Garnier ones, that can be purchased at dollar stores.
    The difference is that those are very large companies, making huge profits each year. Garnier in particular uses a part of those profits to fund testing on animals, and if I recall correctly, Biolage is owned by L'Oreal which does the same.

NightBlooming, on the other hand, is a small artisan on Etsy who holds fund-raisers for vet bills that change the life of the cats she's adopted, like Juniper and Tsavo.

Do what works for your hair, most definitely; but do know that supporting someone like NB is very different to buying a typical commercial product.

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    The difference is that those are very large companies, making huge profits each year. Garnier in particular uses a part of those profits to fund testing on animals, and if I recall correctly, Biolage is owned by L'Oreal which does the same.

NightBlooming, on the other hand, is a small artisan on Etsy who holds fund-raisers for vet bills that change the life of the cats she's adopted, like Juniper and Tsavo.

Do what works for your hair, most definitely; but do know that supporting someone like NB is very different to buying a typical commercial product.
    The principle is the same to me. I do not buy a product based on profits. I buy and use what works, what I can afford and see as reasonable in price, for what I am getting for any product, period.

Large companies contribute large amounts of money to charities and raise funds for many causes.

Fundraising for personal debt no matter what the cause and my heart goes out to people here in dire straights to pay personal medical bills and mortgages ETA: as well - is not why I buy a product either. See above.
    Last edited by ktani; March 16th, 2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: ETA

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Oh it's not the main reason why I buy it. I buy it because it's awesome. But it's certainly light on the conscience too!

Incidentally, I've yet to need the 8oz. ones either. The 2oz. last me about a year. I know usage will vary from person to person, but personally I'd look at the 2oz. price as the 'typical' rather than the 8oz.

Length
    APL/Hip+/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Here's my honest opinion about the Panacea vs. Fox's SBCC: they are not even close to the same thing. I have tried both, and while I liked Fox's version, I much prefer the Panacea (winter blend is my favorite). To suggest that buying the main ingredients and mixing them together is even CLOSE to the panacea is wrong. I've mixed together pure coconut oil and pure shea butter and it is just a mess on my hair. What makes the Panacea special is the other ingredients working together with the main ingredients. In fact, that can be said about a lot of products, don't you think?

With that being said, I think it is wrong to attack the OP for wanting a knockoff. She did not ask for people to attack her, she asked for an alternative. I love the Panacea and its wonderful creator (Nightshade, I know you're watching this thread, so ), but she didn't know we are so protective over this product and our lovely Nightshade/Nightblooming.

OP: I hope you are doing all right. I would highly recommend trying the Panacea. I would gift it to you if I still had a job and didn't need to spend what little money I have left on my best friend's wedding. Maybe you can try asking a friend/family member/significant other for a present?

PS: PANACEA FTW!!!
    Last edited by krissykins; March 16th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
    -Helen Keller

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I love nightbloomings panacea! It is fully worth the $4 or $5 for the sample and lasts forever. I'm with nightshade though. Asking for a knockoff of a well respected members product is abit harsh, though I'm not trying to start anything with anyone.

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large