Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Awkward hair questions: "How long have you been growing your hair?"

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Awkward hair questions: "How long have you been growing your hair?"

I'm still hung up on why such a question should be awkward. For the most part, it's a general curiosity thing, they're not asking for your life story or anything

"For a while, I guess" should satisfy most inquiries unless they're asking for details, in which you can can choose whether or not to give details about how long it was when you actively decided to grow long and whatnot.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Am I the only one who sees this as an opening for launching into a long discussion about hair?

I usually answer that I've been growing since I was 14 when I had an 'urchin' haircut and then I go on to tell them that I grew my hair till waist over a few years and remained there believing that it wouldn't grow anymore and trimming it. Then I launch into the wonders of LHC and how my hair is nearly at the goal I have always wanted. I finish off by telling them that if they're interested in long hair they should check it out. - If they didn't want to know then they shouldn't have asked.

Type
    2a/C/iii

I just say "I've had long hair for a long time".

If they really want to know, I estimate my longest strands are 8 years old.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

I'm Greek living in the Hague, Netherlands
    Length
    1.57/BCL/term
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    I just say "I've had long hair for a long time".

If they really want to know, I estimate my longest strands are 8 years old.
    Ed
    Good one!
    I guess you are the one that I have read the best hair care tips on a web page a couple of years ago.
    That at the signature is your current hair length? You used to have such "enviously" very long hair!

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Viperalus View Post
    Good one!
    I guess you are the one that I have read the best hair care tips on a web page a couple of years ago.
    That at the signature is your current hair length? You used to have such "enviously" very long hair!
    Hi Viperalus! In addition to having long hair for a long time, I have been on Internet hair boards for a long time.

Yes, my signature picture is current. Welcome to LHC!
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    Pixie/Hip/Dunno
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I say I've been growing my hair out since the summer of 2007. That's when I got my terribly awkward pixie cut that I hated so much and decided to grow my hair out then (though I really didn't take care of it well.
    : pixie::chin::shoulder::apl::bsl::waist::hip::tbl::classic::who knows:
    http://alexrogue.deviantart.com/art/...Fire-258716730

Length
    21.5/30/36
    Type
    3b/M/iii

My hair is not very long yet (APL with layers) so people don't ask me "how long I've been growing my hair/" But they do ask how I tame my curls - and since I do a variety of things (some more successful, some less so) I have found that that most people notice my hair, and want to use it as a point of conversation. They are not really interested in the actual content involved in the answer. So I give them a few details, and then ask them a question about themselves, and the conversation continues.

Length
    12/30 MB/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/ii/iii

I estimate that my last haircut was about April or May but I started to take this seriously back in September and have made some good progress since my last haircut.

Length
    APL19/WSL28/HIP32
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

Since I grew out chemical straightners, I get to say unequivocally, " three years." But otherwise I'd say something like, "Since my hair has been shoulder-length, I've been growing it for x-years" or something like that. It took me awhile to develop my response because initially I was like, "always o.O"

CURRENTLY: waist straight (28") GOAL: waist braidwaves (35")

Length
    CHN/APL/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Gee, I always just shurg and say "a while..." Seems like I'm always growing it out. I just pause every now and then and keep a length, more often than not I am growing it.
    Loving my curls and looking to grow as far as I can go.