Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why are ponytails bad?

Length
    24.75/30/34
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Why are ponytails bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I don't know if this will work for you, but I do hot yoga once a week and wear my hair in a simple knot (bun) waaaay low at the base of my neck. I can still lie on my back and even do poses like shoulder stand without the bun being in the way. I've tried every other way to contain my hair while doing yoga and so far this is the only one that works.
    I'll give it a try next time I go. If it passes the bench press and the squat test, then I'll be happy. I worry enough about doing the moves properly, I don't want to worry about my hair getting smothered under my head or (worse) a 45+lb bar plus weights! LOL!

As for the ficcare, I might give it a try, but I don't currently own one and I have to lay off the hair-related expenses for a bit.

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

um well, i dont wear my hair in a straight up ponytail often.
    but i do sometimes wear my hair in a braided ponytail.
    and almost every single day i wear my hair in a beebutt bun held by an elastic. which basically means i take my hair into a ponytail and twist it into a really tight cinnabun and put an elastic over it.. the beebutt bun i do does cause some breakage, but i dont have much farther to grow so im ok with bangs that are a little shorter.. my bangs never grow as long as the rest of the hair anyway..

now if you are asking why i dont wear a straight up ponytail, well, do you have any idea how in the way nearly classic hair is when its in a ponytail? driving, walking in the wind, leaning over to do something, sitting on the couch when suddenly the dog sits on the ponytail and wont get up.. its just not practical
    can i call this classic length

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    For me, it's the tangle factor; I might as well have worn my hair down. And with high ponytails, although there's less tangle factor, it really hurts my head.
    same here, my hair just gets in my face in a pony. Though I did like them up to BSL after that hair is too long to pony IMHO.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Also, if you ponytail in the same general area day after day, the hair in that area will show breakage in time..
    I am a living example of this! Until recently, I never understood why I had so many shorter hairs around the top of my head-- they make my flyaways look even worse! And then I realized that it's exactly where I ponytail! I never do it really hard, and it's almost always close to the nape, but apparently, years of wearing my hair that way has been damaging... I'm now bunning and braiding exclusively. I just started this, though, and it's really hard for me because I don't have a lot of hair, so I guess I can't do really cute styles... but it'll be worth it in the end!

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MaiCarInMtl View Post
    Now I'm left wondering what I'm going to do when I go to the gym. I can't have anything at the back of m head because I won't be able to lie on the benches and I can't have anything piled too high up on my head because I might bump my head while getting into position for certain moves. An English braid always ends up letting my layers slips out and anything lower on the head (going down the neck) ends up squished under the olympic bar... I can't crown braid for peanuts so that's not an option for now either. ... Help!
    A Princess Leia? Ponytails on wet hair are an easy way to wreck your hair, if you are not super careful (I wasn't ).
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Nothing is softer and more confortable in my hair than a pony made with a velvet scrunchie. I think they'd put stress on your hairline after a certain length (maybe APL+). If your elastic is too tight and the hair not slippery enough, they'd cause breakage when taking it out, also a lot of pressure on one point might cause it to weaken it.

It's not that all methods of ponytailing are bad, depends on a lot of factors including hair length and weight.
    Lady Alvarie of the Enchanted Comb in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/APL+/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I think ponytails aren't really all that bad as long as you don't wrestle it, use the wrong bands, or have piecey wisps hanging. Another thing is to change to position of the ponytail. I guess people around here like buns because ponytails can still get caught in things and buns ensure less tangles to some degree.
    ~Making mistakes means learning new things~

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I don't wear ponytails because one summer I went to the pool everyday. I wore a pony tail every day for several weeks. By the middle of the summer I started noticing shorter hair in the place where my pony tail was secured. It took quite a while to grow all that back out and start over again. I learned from that experience that my hair doesn't like pony tails.