Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Growing long hair, but not just to cut it off!

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Growing long hair, but not just to cut it off!

Why on earth did you spend 2 hours messaging him? I'm sorry, I know he is a work connection and all that, but for the sake of politeness, 5 minutes would have been more than enough. "I'm sorry, my phone/doorbell is ringing." End of discussion.
    Now I'm trying to get rid of this mental image of a one-handed facebook user with a h@ircvtt1ng f3ti$h.

Do you think you guys are maybe taking this a little out of proportion? Some people just get kicks out of seeing people cut their hair short. It's no more "perverse" or "creepy" than enjoying seeing someone with long hair flip it around for two minutes. Different strokes for different folks. Everyone has a ******. I mean, I'm not trying to irk anybody but... gee whiz.

Length
    20.5"/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

What I don't understand about a lot of stylists wanting to cut hair short is the fact that they're supposed to be up-to-date with hairstyle trends, right? If that's so, why are they soo keen on short/pixi cuts when just about everywhere I look, models and stars are wearing long hair? Extentions (usually) or no, at the moment there are a lot more icons I see wearing long, voluminous hair rather than a short pixi cut. This wasn't the case a few years ago I realize, when Nicole Ritchie and Rihanna were cutting it off and whatnot, but as I flip through my Victoria's Secret magazine.. not one short haired chic. Not saying that short hair is out of date or ugly or anything but I just don't see why stylists are still so persistent. Why cut it off and wear extentions when you can have the real thing?
    20" 21" 22" 23" 24" 25"26" 27" 28" 29"

I'm no hair stylist by any means, though I do draw a lot, and whenever I see a perfectly clean sheet of paper I'm just itching to draw something. They probably see a long haired person as that perfectly clean sheet of paper and are just aching to see what they can do to make you a work of art.
    Last edited by NickalNack; December 16th, 2010 at 10:42 PM.

Cold and rainy Sotra in Norway the land of trolls.
    Length
    Chin/Thigh/Calf
    Type
    1a/M/C/iii

In my favorite hairdresser shop I think only one of those working there have long hair, the rest have really short and spiky and all of them want to cut my hair. I tell them no way, then I tell them the reason why I am growing my hair out is that I want to look like the ghosts in Japanese horror movies as well as to practice various form of Spiritual hair magic and they look at me funny for some reason.

I think that many still have the idea that a free woman have short hair, while the more traditional women who is bound to a man's approval have long hair. Look at movies, if you have a female rebel, or a woman that stand up to men you can bet she have short hair. For me yes, long hair but me into contact with the traditionally feminine, but it is also for me a symbol of accomplishment, having grown my hair back from having had a mental breakdown and hacking it off while rocking back and forth and crying is a testament to me getting better, it is also the result of many hours of loving care and great patience where cutting it short would give me a prettier hair style right there and then instead of having to wait for it to grow long. Long hair is a symbol of freedom for me. And what else, I think it is pretty, and that I think is something some hairdressers need to learn, what the customer his or herself think looks good of them. I am proud of my hair, I would not be so proud of short hair. The Gods have given me this very thick and strong hair as a gift, I might as well show it off as well as I can.

When I tell people the reason I'm growing my hair long is for spiritual reasons, they never argue with me and try to get me to cut it. If I think they can be trusted with more detail, I will say that I have something specific that I have been praying about for a long time and growing my hair long is a kind of demonstration that I don't intend to give up on this particular prayer request until I get an answer. So far, that has worked really well to get people to keep their ideas about my hair to themselves.
    Honest Witness, can I ask what Spiritual reasons you have for growing out your hair. I hope my question is not to intrusive and please forgive me if it is. I am just so fascinated by everything Spiritual and would love to hear more about how other pepole view the Spiritual.

It isn't personal, he is just obsessed with hair cutting. I think he would do the same to others.

It is still very annoying, huh. You should of ended it much sooner and spent that two hours giving yourself a scalp massage, ha!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/23/25
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I think I was just so surprised that he was so stuck on the whole growing/cutting thing, that I wasn't quite sure how to handle ending the conversation. It constantly amazes me how freaky people can be about hair.

The good thing is that I rarely have much interaction with him, so it shouldn't be a big deal to just ignore him for a while. If he harps on it again the next time we do talk, I will be a lot firmer with him.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Id have told him to go forward and multiply in the nicest possible, if he want to satisfy his urge to cut hair tell him to buy a mannequin or practice on his own head and I agree with Carolyn the conversation wouldn't have got past the 2 minute slot. Tell him to go boil his head, your hair is beautiful what would be the point of growing to cut????
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kschr2004 View Post
    I think I was just so surprised that he was so stuck on the whole growing/cutting thing, that I wasn't quite sure how to handle ending the conversation. It constantly amazes me how freaky people can be about hair.

The good thing is that I rarely have much interaction with him, so it shouldn't be a big deal to just ignore him for a while. If he harps on it again the next time we do talk, I will be a lot firmer with him.
    Sounds like a good plan! like you wouldnt go around chopping the heads off flowers just to see what they looked like, well you wouldnt would you! you keep that beautiful hair growing end of
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    shldr/class/dunno
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by angelfell View Post
    What I don't understand about a lot of stylists wanting to cut hair short is the fact that they're supposed to be up-to-date with hairstyle trends, right? If that's so, why are they soo keen on short/pixi cuts when just about everywhere I look, models and stars are wearing long hair? Extentions (usually) or no, at the moment there are a lot more icons I see wearing long, voluminous hair rather than a short pixi cut. This wasn't the case a few years ago I realize, when Nicole Ritchie and Rihanna were cutting it off and whatnot, but as I flip through my Victoria's Secret magazine.. not one short haired chic. Not saying that short hair is out of date or ugly or anything but I just don't see why stylists are still so persistent. Why cut it off and wear extentions when you can have the real thing?
    Because that way they can sell the extensions, and also you have the necessary "touch-up" cuts to keep it in shape rather than losing its original look, so they come in more often than someone who is growing their hair out would.

Cutting is how they make their money, after all..
    Lady Nêssa of the Fair-Feathered Flight in the Order of the Long Haired Knights