Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: new GUY, welder, don't want to burn my hair.

Length
    12/20/36
    Type
    3c/F/iii

Default Re: new GUY, welder, don't want to burn my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyLea1 View Post
    They also make spiffy leather ponytail holder usualy sold at the motorcycle shops. They are a strip of leather with a hook to hold the elastic and snaps down the length, meant to hold the tail of a ponytail. I think they are called hairgloves or some such thingy.
    I was going to suggest this too, I use this when I'm doing electrical work.
    ~Lady Caoimhe of the Roasted Tea Leaves in the Order of the Long Hair Knights~

In all things, be more like Stevie Nicks.

Length
    ??/36.5/53
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by trolleypup View Post
    When I need my hair to be completely contained, I usually use a pony scrub. (ps: they do have some solid colors)

Easy to use ( does not require bun/braiding skills), compact, fits under hardhats.

I really like those pony scrubs . . those would work great!

I wish I'd known about those when I was welding (sculptures), then I just ponytailed up and tucked it all under a bandana! It was NOT pretty when I finally took my hair down but at least it wasn't scorched.

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I've never welded, but I know from a friend's misfortune that you definitely want it all covered up!

She had her hair in a tight ponytail with a scrunchie. A spark landed on the scrunchie and smoldered there without her knowledge, and the point where that scrunchie was became her new end length. Yikes!

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Finoriel View Post
    From my experience wearing a bandana and a welding hardhat with attached shield and an attached leather nape-cover is the best combination when welding above ones head. Bandanas on their own are pretty useless, they burn right through, but for protecting the hair from the helmet they are good.
    I would not weld without a helmet. Ever. A coworker did and as far as I know he still has a hole in his hair where nothing grows. A decade after the welding cinder hit his scalp. I once had a bit of it fall into the pocket of my overall. Major ouch.
    So I´d recommend learning to braid and bun to fit your hair under bandana&hardhat. It´s not that hard to learn in lack of a maid most of us braid/bun our own hair.
    Yep! Reading regencies...having maids and hairdressers on staff!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmdiaz View Post
    I really like those pony scrubs . . those would work great!

I wish I'd known about those when I was welding (sculptures), then I just ponytailed up and tucked it all under a bandana! It was NOT pretty when I finally took my hair down but at least it wasn't scorched.
    As noted...ponyscrubs are not fire resistant....they are a light breathable cotton. Best worn under something...or I suppose you could investigate fire resistance treatments.

Although...from my experience with grinders (lots of red hot sparks), any layer of cloth will protect whatever is underneath to a certain extent...although at cost to the outer layer!

Another thought is something like a painter's spray sock...one size fits all will cover bun and stick or a tucked braid. Heavier knit cotton, cheaper and requires less back of head skills than a pony scrub.

i guess i'm lucky there, my spouse dubs as my hair braider

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelSpring View Post
    I think I remember that Nightshade does welding? You might pm her.
    Wow, I'm flattered you remembered

I always wore a French braid and coiled it under a welder's cap and put the helmet atop that.

Auto-darkening ftw!

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

I used to weld, too - but my hair wasn't that long, back then. I really wanted to chime in on this tread about braiding. I started out as the world's WORST braider, and I never thought I'd be able to braid my own hair (or anyone else's .. I didn't go through the 'doing each other's hair' stage of being a young girl). But, I really wanted to learn how to braid, as it is such a gentle, pull-free way of putting the hair back; and I get tired of the look of buns on me. So, I kept at it, trying and trying, and now I can do a simple three strand braid pretty decently; most of the time on the first try It's really worth learning to do for yourself, for long hair, IMHO.

This is what helped it 'click' for me:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...Hair-your-own/

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

lol - I'm new and have not chatted with a guy yet. Glad to find you and your humor!
    I do a lot of crafts and woodworking and I just throw my hair in a knot. It is quick, easy and stays put (for the most part) and not elastic or tie needed!
    - Make a bun, but after the first full turn, tuck the rest of your hair unside the bun and pull it out from the top. If you need to tighten it - hold bun/knot with left hand and the remaining hair with the right, then pull the hair with your right hand as you push against the bun/knot. If your hair is not quite long enough you can use a hair stick, tie or elastic.
    Would love to see pictures when you are able.

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

My dad's a welder and has set various parts of himself on fire many times over the years.

The reason he's not covered in scars is because he wears as much leather as he can.

He had a hat with a leather flap that went down to his shoulders and right around ear to ear. I don't know if he made this or bought it.

If my dad's generation survived welding in the 70s with long hair, I'm sure you'll be fine. And welcome to the boards!
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

No welding talent here, but just wanted to welcome you to LHC.
    Utlizing only the Contacts portion of the Friends list feature.