Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you like having long hairs?

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Why do you like having long hairs?

It makes me feel a lot prettier and is a sort of mask so that no matter how bad I look, how awful my skin is or how lazy my clothes are, at least I can have nice long hair!

APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I like it for several reasons:

- I love putting long hair into braids, plus the braids produce my favorite beachy wave
    - I feel more spiritual
    - It's nice and warm in fall/winter and can be easily put up in the spring/summer
    - It doesn't require much styling besides updos
    - I don't like having to go get my hair trimmed frequently, so it's cheaper and saves a bit of time
    - It makes me feel even more feminine
    - If it's long enough you don't even need a hairclip/tie to do certain updos
    - You can use hair toys
    - It's something I can take pride in and set goals for

Plus more

Shaved • Chin • SL • APL • BSL • WL • HL • BCL • TBL • Classic

I was almost completely bald for the first two years of my life. And I have a long memory, so I remember not having hair and getting made fun of for it. (Somebody called me as "bald and wise as Winston Churchill.") So I have kind of a complex about having hair.

Short hair looks horrible on me.

I love how I can just grab my hair and keep it from blowing everywhere in the car. Also, that it's finally so long I can braid it and it only undoes itself about half the way up the braid.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Because it feels like me.

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I like long hair because when I'm working I like to be able to get all of my hair up and totally out of the way. Buns are comfortable for that.
    Plus, when I dress up and go out, I love the way it being down and flowing makes me feel feminine and a tad bit hippy
    Last edited by Callifornia; August 13th, 2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Typo
    Sometimes Curly, sometimes Wurly, always Tangley

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Because my hair is the only thing about me I have always loved.

Because I am going silver and want to watch the transition.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"]Thanks, Sarahlabyrinth, and you also, StellaKatherine, for your sweet words! Sarahlabyrinth, do you mean the photos in the top row? Let me know then I'll have a look at them on my computer and see. I think the first (left side, top row and the 3rd top row) are just minor variations on the same theme. As I recall, I had difficulty getting the large, poufy braid to behave like I wanted).
    Yes, the first, third and fourth in the top row
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    14"/35"/51"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

It's fun. I like the routine of caring for my hair, and I've always thought that really long hair (to me, this means tailbone+) is the most visually interesting.

Back in black, and growing to the bitter end.

APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ Tailbone ~ Butt ~ Classic

Type
    2b/M/iii

3 hairstyles

Hairstyles 1 and 2 (reading from left), are just variations on a theme.
    Instructions: Detangle all hair gently. Comb it back, away from the face

Starting about eyebrow level, pick up a thin section of hair..maybe an inch in width.
    Divide this section into two sections.
    Then gently twist the two sections together, as if forming a rope. Twist gently, not tightly.
    Do not twist until the end. Only enough to reach to the point where you'd form a ponytail.

Take a hair friendly barrette and clip this twisted section up for now.

Repeat all the steps on the other side of your head.

Join both twisted sections in one barrette at the back of your head.

Now, take all the remaining hair and bring it up into a ponytail. Add each twisted section to the ponytail. Pony with LARGE fabric covered elastic. Your hair should now look like a "Y".

Carefully comb out all the hair in the ponytail. Divide in three sections.

Braid each section very, very loosely down to the ends. Confine w/hair friendly elastic band.

LOOP the braided ponytail, letting it hang downward, being careful to keep the loop at the bottom curved and not twisted in a different direction.

Bring the end of the braided loop up and THROUGH the top crossover, then around the ponytail holder so that the holder cannot be seen. DONE!

Special note: everything depends on the looseness of the LOOP. If you braid too tightly, the effect is spoiled.

Also, the looped style (in the black sweater) was done circa 1975. The other looped style was done about 4 years ago, when my hair was much longer. Of course I had a lot thicker hair in 1975

The picture on the far right was approximately 7 to 8 years ago. In essence, it is a twisted bun surrounded by two medium accent braids.

Instructions:

Detangle hair gently and comb back into a ponytail. Comb out ponytail carefully.

Carve out a section of hair from the right side of the ponytail and pin it back out of the way
    Carve out a section of hair from the left side of the ponytail and pin it back out of the way

Take the remaining hair in the ponytail and divide it in two sections
    Take one section and twist it over the other, all the way to the ends. Do not twist too tightly!

Take the twisted section you just made, and holding it with your hand flat against your scalp, begin to form a coiled bun. Pin with hairpins as you form the coil.

Tuck in any tassel

Release the hair held on the right side, divide in 3 sections, and braid it LOOSELY to ends. Secure w/elastic
    Repeat with hair on the left side.

Take one braid and holding it flat against the scalp, as close to the bun as you can, wind it clockwise around the bun, pinning as you go
    Repeat with remaining braid, winding it COUNTERCLOCKWISE around the bun.

Voila, one twisted bun with 2 braids.

Of course you can do variations of this using just braids instead of twisted hair
    Or doing rope braids in place of the two twisted accent pieces
    Or fishtail braids for the accent pieces.

I've also tried doing the "LOOPED" style with just large, very loose twists but the result didn't please me. It also got "thready" very fast, which I don't care for.

Sarahlabyrinth, I've got another hairstyle that I could show you that is very simple. While I don't have an actual picture of my hair in this style, I do have an illustrated article that I found in a hair magazine many years ago. It is a George Michael style and is very easy to do. Let me know if you'd like to see it and I'll post it here. Thank you!

Last edited by Madora; August 14th, 2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Caraid♫ View Post
    this might make me sound insane, but hair feels so "precious" to me- it's like this beautiful fabric growing from your scalp! So I want as much of it to grow out as will still look nice and healthy.

Also it's just a matter of being able to do really cool and intricate hairstyles
    I definitely agree with you about hairs feeling like this beautiful fabric growing from your scalp! That's such a pretty metaphor. I identify with that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by rohirrrims View Post
    It makes me feel a lot prettier and is a sort of mask so that no matter how bad I look, how awful my skin is or how lazy my clothes are, at least I can have nice long hair!
    That's also a good reason! I also feel like long hairs make me feel prettier and better on lazy clothing days.

Quote Originally Posted by skeletonous View Post
    I like it for several reasons:

- I love putting long hair into braids, plus the braids produce my favorite beachy wave
    - I feel more spiritual
    - It's nice and warm in fall/winter and can be easily put up in the spring/summer
    - It doesn't require much styling besides updos
    - I don't like having to go get my hair trimmed frequently, so it's cheaper and saves a bit of time
    - It makes me feel even more feminine
    - If it's long enough you don't even need a hairclip/tie to do certain updos
    - You can use hair toys
    - It's something I can take pride in and set goals for

Plus more
    I love braiding long hairs too, and that beachy wave is a definite plus to braids, too! I feel even more feminine and cute when my hairs are long too, so I totally get that.