Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Native American hair

Tropical Longhaired Ninfa sally_neuf's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/23'/Waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Native American hair

Ohh! I have.. some fraction of Native (south) american as well. (my greatgrandma') I definitely got the hair just not the thickness (and stress doesn't help) but agree, sometimes it's just too much. I don't know what the work "tight braid" means.
    But yes, gorgeous hair ! This is a women from the Wayuu tribe, and my hair is pretty similar, just not soo much
    And this guy's hair... wow!
    Thanks for the BSL Santa! Now, Can I ask for waist on 2011? <--- This siggy is so old I don't even want to change it.
    https://caravanacornelia.blogspot.com/ A blog of random things

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by adiapalic View Post
    American Indian and Asian hair are similar-- I love the way their hair looks. Jet black, and typically sleek and thick with a coarse texture. Lovely.
    Gorgeous pictures, but hair color aside, Native Americans and Asians can have wavy/curly hair. I have wavy hair and I'm Filipino on both sides.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    0.1/SHL/MB
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Well not fully native american...... half mexican (father) and half arabian (my moms Libanese father)... But the indiginous gens are prevalent here!!! Typical straight hair but Im on the finer side. I think finer textures are more common here (Nahua people mostly) but other tribes tend to have coarse and wavy hair (aka most of my father's family).

Ive been all over my country to get to know more about the multi cultural sides around and I always get impressed with women' s hair. They are mostly poor and used nothing but shampoo and plants, sometimes just local plants. In Oaxaca-Chiapas I was given a holy head and body therapy-massage based on Cacao and god knows what else... my hair, skin and soul felt so much better afterwards. There are some cultural differences among indiginous people (Maya people are a whole discrepant thing to Raramuris in terms of customs and traditions) but like other comments have said we all share a great respect for Mother Gaia and Nature as a whole thing!

Im a natural 1B-C head and growing out from so!

<a href=https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69220&dateline=1544502239 target=_blank>https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ine=1544502239</a>

Length
    shag/waist/clssc
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

What book is the first picture from, if you don't mind me asking? I think I may have had that book when I was a child.

Yes, I love Native American hair. I mean, I love all hair, but I appreciate how they keep it long even in modern times and generally take such good care of it.

Chin-Shoulder-APL
    -BSL-Waist-Hip-Classic

No Trim 2017!

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

My favorite is the Hopi Squash Blossom hairstyle worn by Hopi maidens.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Swan Maiden View Post
    My favorite is the Hopi Squash Blossom hairstyle worn by Hopi maidens.
    That's such a gorgeous and unique style! I wonder how it's done...

Does anybody know any hair care tips / hair products from Native cultures? Also, any updos / braids / styles and tutorials? Google doesn't seem to be helping me there beyond the basic 3-strand or caterpillar braids...

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Meteor, isnt it beautiful? In some old photographs of Squash Blossom hairstyle, there is shown some type of tool to aid in shaping the hair.

Length
    20APL/17”/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

My husband's Crow, so I'm going to have to ask him a lot of questions and come back to this thread after. I especially want to ask him about that painting of the "Crow Chief", as it doesn't look very much at all like the photographs I've seen of Crow elders and warriors.

My husband has thick, black, coarse hair with a bit of a wave to it. He was probably 1c when longer, possibly 2a. Before I knew him he'd grown it to somewhere between TBL and Classic, but he'd cut it off by the time I met him. All his girl cousins were jealous of his hair.

I can't say much about other tribes, but in Crow culture only your parents and immediate siblings and spouse are allowed to touch your hair. If anyone else does it's considered a sexual advance. I think this idea is slowly fading away, but in my husband's generation it's still quite prominent.

In the Crow tradition, boys and men wore 3 braids and girls and women wore 2. Boys and men had the crown hair sectioned off into one braid, and then the hair beneath that is divided in half and braided into two more braids. Women parted their hair down the middle and braided each half. They still follow this when they dress in traditional regalia at powwows. (If you want to see pictures of powwows, Google "Crow Fair" and you should get some good ones. Crow Fair is a huge powwow that happens practically in our backyard every August.) Hair was (and sometimes still is) cut as a sign of mourning. My husband cut his long hair off when his grandmother died.

Nowadays, and especially in the current generations younger than the age of 30, the old traditions are falling away or nearly lost. There are a few families that still follow more traditional ways as best they can, and there are others who reject the old traditions completely. And then there are some who do a little bit of both. The language is dying, and with it a lot of the other things, like hair practices. The only thing my husband knows about pre-conquest haircare is that the women used to boil some part of the Yucca plant and wash their hair with it. It lathered up just like shampoo.

The most persistent hair traditions that I see, at least with the Crow who live on the reservation, is that hair is still important, though the care of it has changed. Little girls are used to having their hair yanked into super tight braids for most of their younger years. Some little boys still are given the traditional 3 braids, but they're getting fewer and fewer, and unless they're dressed in superhero clothes or camouflage or something else "manly", outsiders mistake them for girls. I see more and more young girls with their hair loose. Some of them still have it quite long, but it's often unkempt. The older girls have switched from super long lengths to hopelessly fried and flatironed shorter styles. It's not universal, but it's the most common. My husband's older sisters grow their hair out long (classic-ish) and then cut back to shoulder/APL-ish. Two of them have very curly hair, and they don't really know what to do with it, so it just hangs there. There seems to be one sort of universal bun the longer-haired women do that involves scrunchies or claw clips, and that's it. The only "growing out" method they use when growing hair is to take prenatal vitamins, which usually they can get from a relative who is or was recently pregnant and who got them for free from the IHS (Indian Health Service). When I first moved here and wanted to grow my hair, my husband asked a couple of his pregnant cousins to get prenatals for me that way. And they did. I honestly don't know if it's helped or not, but I've taken them on and off ever since, as I tend to be slightly low on iron anyway.

One nice thing is that, even though a lot of ladies here don't grow their hair to extreme lengths anymore, they still admire very long hair and think of it as a cool accessory rather than some weird crazy hippie thing or something. It probably also doesn't hurt that we have a Hutterite community living nearby (on the reservation since no one bothers them here) and also a lot of Pentecostals just off-Rez, some of whom have fairly extreme lengths. I know of one Crow woman who has hair at about Knee length, but she's in some sort of feud with one of my sister-in-laws, so I doubt I could get any friendly tips from her. Around here, if someone doesn't like you, then by extension their whole family hates your whole family. And families are big.

I feel like I'm rambling. Been up a bit too long. This is a cool thread, though. I wish I had something more useful to contribute.
    Last edited by Dragon Faery; May 26th, 2015 at 05:49 AM.
    Current length: 17”(ish)—Collarbone. Will be buzzing it short around New Year’s 2018. Ultimate goal: still Terminal.

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Cool thread.

I was raised in Michigan, and am familiar with Potawatomi and Chippewa Indians. DH graduated from Central Michigan University, and I remember when they removed the Native American symbols--tomahawks, arrows, feathers--from their logo (Chippewas). He still has a few things with feathers and arrows, but you can't get them anymore.

Also, there are no reservations in Indiana that I know of. I never realized that my children had a little gap in their diversity training! (They are familiar with many different sorts of people, and have good social skills because of it, but Native Americans are rare here.) So a few years ago, when we visited our northern family, we drove an hour to the reservation to shore up DD's skills. (DS was running loose with his cousins and didn't come with.) She liked the totem poles in their yards. We stopped by the gas station, saw some Indians getting gas, and sent DD in to pay so she could talk with the clerk. Many of the Native American ladies up there still wear their hair long and straight. Most of the men have short hair. Some little boys have theirs long.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    short/37in/???
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I have a picture which shows how they make the squash blossom buns! It seems to be a round framework where they knot the hair around and fan it open...
    [IMG][/IMG]

February 2017