Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: turmeric experiences

Default Re: turmeric experiences

Quote Originally Posted by anou View Post
    Never heard of it being used as a hair dye...

We normally use it in cooking and in face packs, masks, as an antiseptic etc. Body scrubs, too-we make a paste of gram flour and turmeric powder and over time, it is said to retard unwanted hair growth. I use a turmeric-based cream on my face and it gives me clear, glowing skin with an even tone. And it works wonders on breakouts...
    Same here, though you definitely know a lot more about the alternative uses for various reasons... so thanks for mentioning those

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

This is a bit OT but I just have to share because it's funny:

Years ago in the early days of the internet I was looking up natural skincare treatments and stumbled upon what looked like a really great recipe for a turmeric face mask - it promised smooth, supple skin, an even, glowing tone, reduction in breakouts, all things I was looking for. It sounded so good.

It didn't occur to me that this recipe came from India, where skin tones are more likely to respond favourably to the golden colour that turmeric leaves behind...

My very Nordic complexion did not respond as favourably, however... I didn't even leave it on as long as was suggested - after maybe 5min it started to dawn on my that maybe the 'glow' that was promised was actually the result of dye depositing on the skin... yup! I walked around looking jaundiced for a week, hahaha!!!

I do have to say though that my skin was indeed beautifully smooth though! And the tone, although yellow, was indeed even and glowing
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Length
    ../??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by school of fish View Post

Years ago in the early days of the internet I was looking up natural skincare treatments and stumbled upon what looked like a really great recipe for a turmeric face mask - it promised smooth, supple skin, an even, glowing tone, reduction in breakouts, all things I was looking for. It sounded so good.

It didn't occur to me that this recipe came from India, where skin tones are more likely to respond favourably to the golden colour that turmeric leaves behind...

My very Nordic complexion did not respond as favourably, however... I didn't even leave it on as long as was suggested - after maybe 5min it started to dawn on my that maybe the 'glow' that was promised was actually the result of dye depositing on the skin... yup! I walked around looking jaundiced for a week, hahaha!!!

I do have to say though that my skin was indeed beautifully smooth though! And the tone, although yellow, was indeed even and glowing
    LOL! That is funny. I had a similar experience once! It really does have a strong dye effect. It does feel good though on the skin. We need to find a similar herb for the skin, without the dye.

Otherwise, I think that turmeric is a great herb, and I have heard so many people have great experiences with it. I cannot use it in my hair due to its dye properties (I once tested some shed hairs to see how much it would dye them and they turned bright yellow). I occasionally take turmeric supplements too.
    Last edited by Shepherdess; May 22nd, 2016 at 09:45 AM.
    Final Goal: Terminal lengthLady Randiriel, Shepherdess of Tithenmamiwen

Type
    3b/3c/F/iii

Body scrubs, too-we make a paste of gram flour and turmeric powder and over time, it is said to retard unwanted hair growth.
    Exactly... isn't it supposed to weaken hair?
    Heh, yeah, I look really yellow after it too... but color can be scrubbed off with a towel.
    Last edited by 01; May 22nd, 2016 at 11:22 AM.
    Cut off tailbone hair to bob <3
    ...and then buzzed my hair off.
    I work here: mobilny dietetyk gliwice

Length
    BSL/WL+/Clas
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Haha! It often stains my face, which is why I use the cream now :P though of course the color would be more noticeable with your skin tone. I am on the lighter side for an Indian, so it shows up noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by 01 View Post
    Exactly... isn't it supposed to weaken hair? Heh, yeah, I look really yellow after it too... but color can be scrubbed off with a towel.
    Yes it weakens hair, as long as it's not coarse and thick. People here swear by it for reducing facial peach-fuzz.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've wondered that, because I've seen all kinds of stories about how wonderful it is as a face mask, but mostly out of India. Was never sure I wanted to risk the staining to find out if it would work on my redhead-pale skin. (I'm actually quite dark and tan well for a redhead. Which means I only barely glow in the dark.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I've wondered that, because I've seen all kinds of stories about how wonderful it is as a face mask, but mostly out of India. Was never sure I wanted to risk the staining to find out if it would work on my redhead-pale skin. (I'm actually quite dark and tan well for a redhead. Which means I only barely glow in the dark.)
    Let me save you the trouble - risk it not on your redhead-pale colouring! Learn from my mistake and save yourself, haha!!!

Embarrassing though it was, even I had to laugh at myself at the time! I do recall though that in every other respect it was a wonderful facial treatment
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Account Closed by Member Request

I had my face stained tooand i'm considrebly dark but naturally cool toned at the same time. it looked very funny for two days full coverage foundation did help me out.

Length
    Waist/Clasc/?
    Type
    3a/M/ii

The kind of turmeric used for face is a different one--it stains less and washes out. It is called kasturi manjal (manjal is turmeric in Tamil) and is sold in some online stores. I think the 'hair removal' aspect of it comes from anti-androgen effect of curcumin so technically it should make the hair on head stronger and face weaker.

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

That is interesting Beborani!
    I was a bit anxious to see if it would weaken my hair but i figured this was going to be an occasional thing so i didn't worry about it, i have such thin hair anyway...lol.

I have washed my hair 3 times now with my ayurvedic shampoo bar and the golden tone is still there. It is still greenish somewhat but some fading has happened- they are a bright but light greenish yellow.

I too have used it as a mask in the past but i don't recall being horrified with a yellow stain...maybe it was more of a scrub? haha.

It's very healthy to eat with some pepper and a source of fat too for the health benefits.

Anyone else has tried staining greys with turmeric and something else to make it less green? I don't want to use something permanent like henna though. Is there a herbal dye that stains reddish and is temporary? Anyone?

I think next time i will include black strap molasses in the mix with some sort of reddish tea. Hibiscus...rooibos...we'll see what my research brings up.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?