Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Natural ways to get rid of lice

Default Re: Natural ways to get rid of lice

My son got lice last week and I used a mixture of shampoo, tea tree oil, neem seed oil, and geranium oil. We let the shampoo sit for ten minutes then rinsed and then applied a mixture of conditioner with neem seed oil added. When I used the lice comb, all the lice were dead. Two days later I did the same treatment and found no new lice, but did manage to comb out the nits. Two days later I tried a different approach using coconut oil with the essential oil mixture instead of shampoo because it irritated his scalp. The coconut oil will help soften the hair an not damage it while the essential oils due their thing. I think it's best to either use coconut oil (which is not viscous) or conditioner to use to use as a hair spread instead of shampoo which can be irritating and drying.

Length
    14/41/term.
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Not very natural, but I've found a dimethicone solution and good nit comb works wonders. I use full marks solution and a 'nitty gritty' comb on my kids - comb once a week until they're all gone (two weekly treatments usually does it) then any eggs that hatch get combed out before the lice mature enough to lay eggs. Conditioner also works well but its mostly about combing. A lot.
    Ruth

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I have never dealt with lice, but I would suggest neem oil (if you can stand the smell) as a very powerful natural treatment. It's anti-fungal, antibacterial, insect-repellent...
    I prefer neem oil over tea tree oil, because tea tree oil must be diluted and is pretty drying (even though it smells nicer). You don't want to deal with dry scalp after a battle with lice. Neem oil is very rich in vitamin E and very moisturizing, balancing.
    I am not suggesting conditioners, since OP wants a natural treatment, and it's pretty hard to find all-natural conditioners and conditioners that don't irritate scalp when applied in large amounts.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by meteor; April 8th, 2013 at 02:28 PM.