Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japanese seaweed for hair: Funori

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Japanese seaweed for hair: Funori

Quote Originally Posted by ratgirldjh View Post
    Does the seaweed leave build up on your hair at all? I know irish moss is known for build up (or at least I thought so)
    It may well do, but I haven't experienced any build-up yet (bearing in mind I have only done about 5 seaweed treatments).

Catnip built up really badly on my hair by the 3rd treatment, so if seaweed does cause build-up, it does not do it fast.

Today is cold here in England and I couldn't bring myself to dip my head in cold, clammy seaweed water. I might have to reserve seaweed for warmer weather because I have no tolerance for a cold head in cold weather (wuss).

Length
    10.5"/CBL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Wow, sounds interesting.
    I have been eating dried seaweed as long as I can remember.
    My dad is Korean and the other kids would bring chips to school,
    but I had seaweed in my lunch.
    I wonder if eating it is beneficial to the hair, or if I have to use a product?
    Does anyone know?

Type
    2a/M/ii

Did somebody try to make a "hair mask" with Nori? I bought 50 sheets of Nori today and am thinking about to shred one sheet, soak it in hot water overnight, strain it the next day and use the water/mucilage on my hair.

@alexis917: I have read that it is beneficial for the hair to eat seaweed. I ate one Nori sheet today and to my surprise it doesn't taste bad at all. How often do you eat it and how much?

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

So you don't think kelp would work? All I've been able to find around here is kelp powder. Even the asian stores only had seaweed chunks and they were all treated with soy sauce and spices... ick I bought some and they were too salty for me!
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    10.5"/CBL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

@Finchen: Oh boy. A pack a day? The little packs that are about the size of a deck of cards, which each have about ten sheets. I don't know if it's done anything for my hair, but I like the taste. I pack it in my lunch because I don't feel like paying two dollars for a bag of Funyuns at school.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by alexis917 View Post
    @Finchen: Oh boy. A pack a day? The little packs that are about the size of a deck of cards, which each have about ten sheets. I don't know if it's done anything for my hair, but I like the taste. I pack it in my lunch because I don't feel like paying two dollars for a bag of Funyuns at school.
    I think that is pretty much. I bought a pack which has 50 sheets, however they are quite big and the total pack weighs 140g (about 5 oz). I will eat one sheet per day (2.8g = 0.1 oz).

Yesterday I did shred one sheet of Nori and soaked it in water overnight. I strained the Nori and will use it as a hair rinse later.

Type
    1c/C/iii

I have never heard of Nori being used to wash hair or as a hair pack. Funori, which is used for haircare is totally different to Nori.

Funori is a purple seaweed that becomes a pink gel when you add water and you use that lovely gel for washing your hair or as a scalp treatment.

Good luck with the Nori. I hope it...does something. You might be better off using it to make sushi, LOL.

ratgirldjh, I have tried kelp, bladderwrack and Kombu and they did not work well at all. They dried my hair out and were difficult to rinse out. My scalp was irritated afterwards too.

Carrageenan was great as was the Funori and in a few days I will try Agar Agar!

Length
    10.5"/CBL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Random stupid question. I know you can use coffee/tea to wash your hair. What would green tea do? I have some laying around.

Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Othala View Post
    I have never heard of Nori being used to wash hair or as a hair pack. Funori, which is used for haircare is totally different to Nori.

Funori is a purple seaweed that becomes a pink gel when you add water and you use that lovely gel for washing your hair or as a scalp treatment.
    Othala, where did you buy the Funori? In the link which you posted on the first site here?

Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Finchen View Post
    Othala, where did you buy the Funori? In the link which you posted on the first site here?
    No, I bought it on eBay.co.uk from a trader based in Japan. It was cheaper buying it from Japan direct than buying it from the U.K .

The trader's name is hannari-ya. The product is called "KombutoFunori" and the packaging is entirely in Japanese, but the eBay page provides the usage instructions.