Page 29 of 878 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129529 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Murphy View Post
    Hey Neoma, I just wanted to check in right now!

Weeell - it's almost dry (my hair is thick, and though I was wearing it down all the time - which I usually never do - it's still not quite dry), and it's super soft and silky. It's still a bit stringy on the lengths, though. I think it's just that CV is a bit too moisturising for me.

BUT: what you just wrote made a huuuge lightbulb go up over my head! I never never never wear my hair down (well, apart from today), so it just doesn't matter what my length looks like when down!
    So though I was not able to find a solution, I just changed the problem
    Phewwww! Thank goodness I can stop holding my breath. The suspense was killing me!

I'm glad that my experience provided you with a lightbulb.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

i was wondering if any of you CV poo bar users have had any experience with one particular bar increasing your shedding dramatically. I think Rosemary Lavender Aloe has trippled my shedding if not more. I've used it 3 times in a row since last week and though i just love love love its texture and what it does to my hair i suspect my scalp hates it for some reason. i'll go back to my QH Garlic Shampoo tomorrow just to sort of clarify and then back to my other poo bars. Unfortunately this is the only bar I ordered in full size this time (I cut about 1/4 every time and don't take the whole thing to the shower to have it last longer) and if my suspicion is true I'm stuck with it.

Length
    SL/SL+/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/i/ii

Rachel, is that one of the few Lush-bars without SLS? I have heard that most of the bars are like regular poo, just solid.
    I think so. The ingrediants label had none of the scary sounding things that my old shampoo had anyway (I'm not very knowlegable on the science of shampoo , but it has nothing that ends in " 'cone"
    Anyway, I really like it and my hair feels better than it has in...well, forever!

BTW, the coconut oil worked a treat on my hair and scalp. Took a while for it to fully absorb, but then it does take my hair 24-26 hrs to airdry. Though I think i managed to get a bit too much oil on the top of my head when I was running it through, because my bangs are a bit heavy and lank; but it's all about experimentation and practice, eh?!

Length
    APL/BSL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Me and a friend decided to place an order fo some PLH bars yesterday.I'm going to try Ginger beer,Pinion Leaf,Patchouli and Hempchouli.I wonder how long it will take before they arrive in my mailbox?I'm going to order some cv bars too when summer sunshine is in stock again.

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Well, I'm officially off this schampoo bar project of mine. Waxy, greay hair is no fun at all.
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Blargh. My scalp has been driving me nuts. Pretty sure it's a dryness issue. Save for when I tried CV's Scarborough Faire soap on my head, my scalp always feels much better immediately after washing. But within a few hours (by the time my hair is dry enough to put up) it's itchy and flaky again. I've tried increasing the amount of vinegar in my rinses, lathering twice (helps with the roots sticking to eachother and making it hard to detangle issue), keeping conditioner off my scalp, rubbing conditioners into my scalp, more moisturizing bars, less moisturizing bars (I have tons of samples to choose from), etc and nothing seems to help. I've also been trying aloe and oils on the scalp before a wash as well as trying it out after a wash. Nothing seems to help for more than an hour or two...

Does my head just not like poo bars? I don't think that'd be the case as I've always had itch and flake issues. Oh, and I've been taking fatty acid supplements (flax, fish, and borage 3in1 pill) and trying to drink more water. No matter what I do, by DD3 it's almost intolerable. Clarifying doesn't help either. What am I doing wrong here?
    3b/c - F/M - ii
    Current length: 24.5" wet and stretched.

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by redhead_rachel View Post
    I think so. The ingrediants label had none of the scary sounding things that my old shampoo had anyway (I'm not very knowlegable on the science of shampoo , but it has nothing that ends in " 'cone"
    Anyway, I really like it and my hair feels better than it has in...well, forever!
    Rachel, cones and SLS are not the same Cones provide the slip, and are usually found in conditioners. SLS - sodium lauryl sulfate/sodium laureth sulfate - are an ingredient in most shampoos. They are what gives you that "squeaky clean feeling". It's also what most of us are trying to avoid when using poo bars, which is why I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    i was wondering if any of you CV poo bar users have had any experience with one particular bar increasing your shedding dramatically. I think Rosemary Lavender Aloe has trippled my shedding if not more.
    Swan, some members report increased shedding with the nettle bar. But as usual, every hair and scalp is different. If it doesn't work for you, I say good riddance! Put the bar up on the swap board. No routine is worth increased sufferance and annoyance, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    Phewwww! Thank goodness I can stop holding my breath. The suspense was killing me!
    LOL, I would have posted earlier had I known about that! So, the final verdict is in: my hair is very moisturized. To be honest, parts of it is downright stringy. I brushed with my BBB last night before bed, that has helped a bit. I think the marshmallow babassu is just waaaay too moisturizing for me. Up on the swap board it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Carina View Post
    Me and a friend decided to place an order fo some PLH bars yesterday.I'm going to try Ginger beer,Pinion Leaf,Patchouli and Hempchouli.I wonder how long it will take before they arrive in my mailbox?I'm going to order some cv bars too when summer sunshine is in stock again.
    Carina, my first order took a bit over 4 weeks . The second didn't even take a week. Lord knows what makes the difference... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, I know about the suspence!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie View Post
    Does my head just not like poo bars? I don't think that'd be the case as I've always had itch and flake issues. Oh, and I've been taking fatty acid supplements (flax, fish, and borage 3in1 pill) and trying to drink more water. No matter what I do, by DD3 it's almost intolerable. Clarifying doesn't help either. What am I doing wrong here?

Smokie, I'm afraid I just don't have any advice for you. Have you tried adding tea tree oil to your rinse? If you have such a fickle scalp, I say find a routine that makes your scalp happy - and if that's an SLS-poo and a heavy cone condish (I'm exaggerating here, of course), then so be it.
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Smokie, I'm afraid I just don't have any advice for you. Have you tried adding tea tree oil to your rinse? If you have such a fickle scalp, I say find a routine that makes your scalp happy - and if that's an SLS-poo and a heavy cone condish (I'm exaggerating here, of course), then so be it.
    Sulfates of all flavors seem to make things worse. Scalp is ultra-itchy superfast. CO didn't work very well either. I'm very sensitive to TTO. Like, one drop to a tablespoon of liquid is too much for me. Pretty sure that's why the neem and tea tree CV bar that I tried out didn't do me any good either. Maybe I will try WO on the scalp if none of my other bars (still have 7 or 8 to try LOL) don't work for me.

It also might be an EO sensitivity in general. When I first started on the miconozole thing I was putting way too many drops of EO in my mix (now I'm using less EO and adding water and carrier oils also) and my scalp went absolutely nuts. Was not fun. Maybe CV bars have too much EO for my head?
    3b/c - F/M - ii
    Current length: 24.5" wet and stretched.

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Smokie, it could very well be that you're sensitive to EOs.
    How is your hair? If it is rather dry I would give castille soap (or castille calendula) a shot, but these are regular soaps and hence even more moisturizing.
    If your hair is normal/oily, you might want to give PLH a try - they have an unscented poo bar.
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Account Closed by Member Request

Smokie, if that is the case, have you tried Olive Babassu yet? It is unscented and very very moisturizing. Or try one of the unscented soap bars if your hair can take soap.