Page 25 of 62 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheHuman View Post
    My angle? The article states the oil can only penetrate wet hair and claims that information is in the study. I read the studies and did not see that statement, or even a hint of it, made anywhere in either one. There is a chance I overlooked it, or perhaps misinterpreted something reported in the studies. So my angle was to ask if the idea that coconut oil can only penetrate dry hair was true or false.
    Oh I see. No, I think you are right. I cannot read this there either. I dont think this particular angle has been adressed by any study that I know of. And it would be contradictory to what many of us here on LHC practice anyways. I dont wet my hair before an overnight oiing with coconut oil. And it works very well with noticeable difference on hair feel and shine.

/ CMG

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

I didn't check just now, but as I recall the whole study that was quoted here was conducted on dry, combed and washed indian hair. This means that they could not have drawn any conclusions about wether it worked better on wet hair or not. They didnt have any wet hair samples to compare with.

/ CMG

Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by mamaherrera View Post
    Like itchies from a shampoo, that's an allergic reaction.
    WYI: That's a contact dermatitis and not an allergy.
    Lydia...cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    i: 2b/c: F

Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    Oh I see. No, I think you are right. I cannot read this there either. I dont think this particular angle has been adressed by any study that I know of. And it would be contradictory to what many of us here on LHC practice anyways. I dont wet my hair before an overnight oiing with coconut oil. And it works very well with noticeable difference on hair feel and shine.
    Good, that's what I thought. To me it feels like the oil penetrates dry hair because my hair seems to get less and less oily as time goes on. I read that article and doubted my sanity for a bit.

Cookies, yum!

So much info!! My damaged, dry hair loves coconut oil! And, I have always felt any product penetrated more by putting on my dry hair. I reason that filling my hair with water only dilutes whatever I'm doing. That's why I would never put shampoo on dry hair.

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I recently began using avocado oil and I really love it. I apply it to just my ends. It makes them so soft and nice looking! I'm waiting for a whole bunch of carrier oils and essential oils to come in the mail so I can experiment with making my own blends. I'll share my recipes with you all.

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

That's interesting bunnylake, because I have recently bought a bottle of avocado oil myself. Very pricey, some 50 euros for the tiniest possible bottle *ughh*. I have only applied it a couple of times and my impression of it is that it feels different from other oils I have tried. It is silkier somehow. I mean of course, that the hair after application is, but also the oil itself between the fingers. A distinctly different touch than from other oils. I dont get the same from almond oil fex. I have put a small amount of avocado oil in my henna tonight. I will report how this goes (I usually dont use much oil in my henna).

I was looking for something different to try on my lengths this winter. Just now we have minus -18 degrees celsius. It has to be something that does not contain too much residue water, some oils do.

/ CMG
    Last edited by cmg; December 2nd, 2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spellcheck

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

CMG, I feel the same way about avocado oil. It has a distinctive "cushion-y" feel to me that most other oils do not have. I get the unrefined kind and use it for skin care (I've gotten away from using natural oils in my hair). Really makes my skin feel supple and moist.

But 50 euros for a little bottle?! You need to get a buddy in the US to buy some over here since it's so much cheaper (like 4 bucks for a 2 oz bottle of unrefined from Garden of Wisdom).
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    That's interesting bunnylake, because I have recently bought a bottle of avocado oil myself. Very pricey, some 50 euros for the tiniest possible bottle *ughh*. I have only applied it a couple of times and my impression of it is that it feels different from other oils I have tried. It is silkier somehow. I mean of course, that the hair after application is, but also the oil itself between the fingers. A distinctly different touch than from other oils. I dont get the same from almond oil fex. I have put a small amount of avocado oil in my henna tonight. I will report how this goes (I usually dont use much oil in my henna).

I was looking for something different to try on my lengths this winter. Just now we have minus -18 degrees celsius. It has to be something that does not contain too much residue water, some oils do.

/ CMG
    I love the feel of avocado oil (virgin) but 50 euros is a rip off! A 250ml bottle here is about £4-£5 :/
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

As someone with an oily scalp and dry wavy hair, sweetgrass oil has balanced it out a LOT, especially my hair. I think it's a penetrating oil.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.