Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hairdressers imposing their will on clients

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: Hairdressers imposing their will on clients

And next time, if the hair dresser can't follow thru, make sure you ask to see how much exactly is being cut off.

On the other hand, I do not see why it is so hard for others being that there is a RULER on most of our combs in inches.
    I think that in the consultation, stylists should always give client a mirror, turn them around, and say *this* is how much I will be taking off. Then after that point you can let them know if that is too much or too little. I worked at a place that taught me this and I will ALWAYS follow this method.
    I am not trying to be rude here. This is just frustrating to see posts like this constantly. It is counter productive.
    I am happy to see all the replies of GOOD experiences
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    14/30/42
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I'm lucky to have a hair dresser that listens to me and last time I told him he could cut off as much as he needs to in order to get rid of the split ends, but he actually cut off less than was needed (he cut off about 3 inches). I guess he didn't want me to regret cutting off too much hahah
    Chin ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ TBL ~ Classic!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gillybeanxo3921 View Post
    No, that's not what I meant. I started this thread in hopes to find someone else growing out from the start AGAIN so we could relate to each other and give each other support.
    Understandable. I see that you're fairly new, so you haven't seen the last 1001 of these threads go by. It's hard on those among us who are hair stylists.

Welcome to the community!

Length
    ?/?/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Actually, my hairstylist cut exactly what I wanted last time. She made me stand up and even showed me where it would be on me. I've been going to her for about a year and I love her. She totally supports my quest for long, natural hair even though it means I see her much less. She did tease me, though saying I won't make it more than a couple of months without color. Lol. She's pretty awesome!

Length
    buzz/13/23
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I've heard of the pony tale method, so I guess I'll have to give it a shot!

And yeah, the only thing I'm happy about is that I think just about all of the damage is gone now.

I know that they're just trying to help, but it's just sooooooo frustrating to have a whole year's worth of hair gone. I really can't stand it.

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I'm in New England also, and I have a wonderful hairdresser. She normally just does a half inch to an inch trim when I go in (every 6 - 8 months) because she knows that I'm growing my hair out.
    buzz - pixie - chin - shoulder - APL -BSL - MBL - waist - hip - tailbone - classic

Length
    24BSL/35TBL/42 CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by akilina View Post
    Yes.
    Honestly? It is getting incredibly redundant. It is the same exact story every single time. OVER and over again. No one will ever have anything better to say than the basic replies that ALL of the threads exactly like this get. It is just one big pool of negativity. Wouldn't you rather post about good, positive things?
    It is understood and I get that you can post whatever you want. We all have had at least one bad experience. Many hair dressers seem to have a problem with listening.
    Does it need to be stated, over and over?
    I hate reading it. It makes me sad because I've had mostly great experiences with hairdressers and the bad experiences have been my fault (ie not being clear about what I wanted or checking it was being done how I wanted). I can't imagine how it would feel to someone like you, a proud hairstylist. <3

Length
    20/25/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I've had mostly good experiences, but being that I used to be a stylist, I am very specific to what I want cut and won't let them cut any more. Don't be afraid to speak up. Maybe you had a terrible stylist who kept cutting your perimeter crooked and so she kept cutting more and more to even it out? I used to do that in hair school, lol. In any case, I don't think you should feel bad for wanting a shoulder to cry on. I would be really upset if I got more than I wanted cut off. The last bad hair cut I had was four and a half years ago and I was pissed (thinned my hair out way too much).

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lmfbs View Post
    I hate reading it. It makes me sad because I've had mostly great experiences with hairdressers and the bad experiences have been my fault (ie not being clear about what I wanted or checking it was being done how I wanted). I can't imagine how it would feel to someone like you, a proud hairstylist. <3
    Wow it is so nice to hear such positive stories
    Taking an LHC break.

Quote Originally Posted by lmfbs View Post
    I want to thank you too for this comment I am also a stylist and the comments made on this forum against stylist are often hurtful. It's so nice to hear the supportive comments.

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. The stylist should have listened and cut off only what you asked. But please don't think all stylists are that way. We're not, I promise
    Last edited by BrightEyes; July 25th, 2012 at 07:05 PM.