Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is is true you can't use conditioner when hair typing?

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Is is true you can't use conditioner when hair typing?

I did it both ways, as a new LHC member. When I posted that I had clarified my hair and let it dry without conditioner, I received a lot of shocked posts, especially from fellow curlies. My hair still had most of its waves and curls, but so dry and horrible feeling, it was just awful.
    After doing that little experiment, I'd think it's safe to say you can use conditioner, because it won't actually affect your end result that much.
    However, he combing when wet thing: I'd say that's a no. I used to do that all the time and thought I just had wavy, uncooperative hair. Then one time I didn't brush my wet/damp hair, and I had curls. Now I never brush after a shower and my hair thanks me for it.
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by vanillabones View Post
    Mine would be a tangly gross rat's nest probably with no pattern at all just a big blob of tangles.
    >_< Yeah, that's the only hair type I seem to hair when I leave the shower without combing.

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I can't wait till I can edit my posts. So many typos!

Length
    34"/45"/IDK
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I used conditioner when I did mine. I can't imagine trying to detangle my hair after only shampooing. I just made sure to rinse it all out while manipulating my hair as little as possible. Then I just let it dry without touching it. I don't think you need to leave out the conditioner, just make sure you don't leave any in your hair.

March 2014 - Almost to fingertip

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I type without conditioner but to be honest not much difference just looser waves with conditioner
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

This is one of the reasons I've never officially hairtyped. Another is that it is a tremendous time sink to let my hair drip dry without any manipulation. My hair takes long enough to dry as it is, and I don't feel like setting aside 6 hours of my day to stay inside.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by vanillabones View Post
    I have read you're just supposed to clarify and not condition and not brush or comb while it's drying either. However I don't for deciding my hair type, I shampoo and condition as usual and comb wet as usual and let dry then hair type. What is the point in hair typing any other way when you are never going to do your hair like that so it will never have that 'pattern' anyway unless you want to type your hair from what it looks like dried out with sulphates and uncombed O_o I just don't understand. Mine would be a tangly gross rat's nest probably with no pattern at all just a big blob of tangles.
    I think the point is that it takes slightly different handling to bring out the natural best in different hair types. There is no shortage of people complaining about having straight and frizzy hair until they hair type and figure out all the frizz came from combing/brushing out curls.

It's worth trying if you haven't. You may be surprised.

Length
    13"/waist/long
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I got confused at first too. What I think I figured out is that most hair typing is done with the usual wash and conditioner, but once you turn off that water, don't touch it. No leave-ins, combing, brushing, toweling, etc. I think the wash and dry without conditioner is for trying to figure out if your hair is breaking and gross from over protein or over moisture.
    Lady Morelia, Caretaker of the Unknown Beasts in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

I was afraid of the same thing, too! I don't have someone to take a piccie of the back of my head, and it take hours for my hair to dry. So, the idea of not having conditioner made me shudder. The tangles!

Anyway, I got lots of great advice when I posted my pictures with conditioner+oil. It was nice to get feedback on my hair instead of wondering if I was making the comparisons correctly. This weekend, with the holiday, I let my hair dry without conditioner, knowing I'd have time to rewet, etc. My hair was curlier, but only one "step". And since I had lots of input from my typing thread, I now know exactly what I should type myself.

So I'd say post your hair with conditioners if that's what you think is realisitically going to happen. You can always use the info you get as a good starting base.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

If I tried to type my hair without conditioner, my hair type will probably be "tangled mess" that said, I did try to let it dry by itself after clarifying but my hairs were so grabby after being clarified that it was all just a jumbled mess and wasn't 'type-able' by LHC standards. So I'm just sticking to calling my hair 1a/1b since it looks 1a after combing but seems more unruly than 1a before combing