Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you know if you have fine hair?

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: How do you know if you have fine hair?

Quote Originally Posted by James M View Post
    @ Tiina
    Agreed, the condition of ones hair can make the hair feel different in many ways. But does that change the hair type?
    No. Which brings us to the question, how do you determine the type if all you have to go on is the feel, which depends on the condition of the hair? Even if you clarify the hair before trying to classify the texture may not be what your natural texture is because of what you have done to it in the past. For example, hair towards the tips can feel coarser if it has been dyed or relaxed or heatdamaged while the virgin hair above feels finer. But this doesn't mean that the wiry strands below are thicker than the smooth parts above. Even humidity and temperature can change the feel of hair. It seems to me that the only method to define fineness/coarseness is to measure the hair under a microscope.

I don't want to say that everyone who has ever classified their hair by the guide have done it wrong but the method used is likely to give false results to some people.
    Last edited by Tiina; June 29th, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Well, the coarse hair I've seen, I could see individual hairs from 50 feet away. It's really quite incredible -- hairs like thread!

I suspect that fine-haired folks are the ones who most often experience the sensation that they've got a hair on them, but aren't actually able to locate that hair. They often feel it repeatedly for hours, because they're unable to find the thing to get it off.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

^^this^^ exactly.

I've got hairs that are so fine they are almost impossible to see. They are much more visible now that I henna, and have gotten a teeny bit thicker thanks to the coating properties of henna.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    3"/8"/12"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

However, I think most can understand if their hair is dry, or damaged, they know their day to day habits/grooming techniques, and with a tad bit of research one could reach a fairly obvious conclusion on the condition of their hair, and how that condition effects appearance/feel.

I think it's most important not to over complicate the typing process. Look around at others, the difference from thick to fine will be obvious, and clearly there will be a middle ground.

Length
    pixie/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I got this tip from a hair magazine, it said to pull your hair into a ponytail and then measure the cimcurfrence. If it is roughly the size of a dime (17.91 mm) you have fine hair. I haven't verified this information other than having read it in the above metioned magazine but maybe that will help...

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by missfortune9335 View Post
    I got this tip from a hair magazine, it said to pull your hair into a ponytail and then measure the cimcurfrence. If it is roughly the size of a dime (17.91 mm) you have fine hair. I haven't verified this information other than having read it in the above metioned magazine but maybe that will help...
    I believe that the magazine you mentioned was using the term "fine" as a euphemism for "thin" because it is measuring the ponytail circumference, and thus the amount of hair rather than the thickness of the individual strands. It drives me absolutely bonkers when people do this because then the terms get lumped together. The same is true with the terms "thick" and "coarse." From what I have observed in a lot of non-LHC hair articles is that this has the tendency to neglect certain hair types and treats them like they don't exist (my hair type being one of them). The confusion also makes it kind of a pain in selecting hair products, tools, and toys.

I am also a bit confused as to whether my hair is Fine or Medium in texture. It has some M characteristics and it has some F characteristics, so in the end I decided to put it at M and leave it there until I decide otherwise.
    Last edited by MissManda; June 29th, 2010 at 09:12 PM.

Length
    chin/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Hello, I'm very new to all this - so apologies!

Can I ask why this is so important? Does it matter, what do I need to know?

Thanks

little hair obsessed too littlenvy's Avatar
    Length
    10"/waist/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Well, the coarse hair I've seen, I could see individual hairs from 50 feet away. It's really quite incredible -- hairs like thread!

I suspect that fine-haired folks are the ones who most often experience the sensation that they've got a hair on them, but aren't actually able to locate that hair. They often feel it repeatedly for hours, because they're unable to find the thing to get it off.
    LOL ... I have very fine hair and when it falls out its in one long strand. Usually I feel a "pull" and I can feel it SOMEWHERE on me but can't find it.
    BUT ... its much worse for my hubby who often finds himself with my hair on him (often on his leg or in his pants *giggle*) He gets quite upset about that since it bugs him to no end.

I agree with MissManda.
    "Fine" refers to the individual strands of hair, not the overall thickness.

My hair is fine, but I have a lot of individual strands.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tiina View Post
    It seems to me that the only method to define fineness/coarseness is to measure the hair under a microscope.
    Not very practical though in dayly life. Unless hairdressers start using microsopes. And you need someone to define exactly what is what.
    :: 1b/F/M/ii :: Classic ::
    Hair goal: Long healthy natural silver hair
    Starting point: Corona pandemic 2020