Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: - How do you apply Henna yourself ?!

just moved from a desert to a rain forest
    Length
    ?/44/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: - How do you apply Henna yourself ?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcld_WzClNw I found that really helpful.

Account Closed by Member Request

Personally, I don't do this method (I just glop it on and massage it in), but I've heard of people sectioning their hair into several small sections, braiding it and applying the henna one braid at a time taking the braids out as you go along. Others use those hair dye bottles and cut the tip so that the henna can run through the tip easily.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I've tried sectioning but that just left my hair a snarled mess, so I use the glob it on and massage method and then dip the length in the bowl.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Type
    3a/M/ii

I make a bun or two or two braids first, then suck some henna into a root shooter and squirt it on the roots. What's left after I've squirted all the roots I can find (including those in my beard), I smear on the bun. Then I wrap it up and go to bed. A root shooter is a big syringe; you can get it from Mehandi.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RedheadMistress View Post

vampodrama; Okay, I will try and do it myself as well!
    Yes I've read that henna is different from for example box dyes and how you don't always need to put it in the lengths, which would make it easier if I just need on the roots. . I love the redness of your hair ! Is that all because of henna or do you use Special Fx or something like that as well ? Wow . I want my hair to be that read, if possible . .

Does it just happen naturally if maybe I would do it every month for years, I wonder . . Love it

Thank you My hair is all henna, no other dyes or anything. As said, over 2 years of constant hennaing... But also my pictures come out a lot brighter than it really is (light conditions + flash). I wish my hair was so bright in real life!

nordic hennahead

Length
    BUZZ/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

When I do full-head applications, all I use are my gloved hands to apply the mud. I do like making it thinner, and I apply it to slightly damp or dry hair - seems to give me better coverage than using thicker mud on wet hair. I basically grab chunks of hair, moosh a glob into my scalp, then kind of 'pull' the mud through to my ends before moosing the hair up onto my scalp. This may not work as my hair gets longer - at almost-BSL I can get the clumps to stick on my scalp, but with added length and weight I may end up modifying my technique.

For root jobs, I pack my mud into a ziploc and cut a corner of the bag off to make a cheapie applicator - I didn't want to waste money on a root shooter. I apply a bead of henna along my roots every half inch or so, then when I have my whole scalp done I go in and massage the henna in to make sure that it's really getting all my scalp hair. Seems to work for me, and it's neater than using a colorist's brush or my hands to get just the scalp hair.
    F/ii/goodbye henna!

Type
    4a/M/C/iii

I put my henna in an applicator bottle and just squeeze it into my hair until its saturated. I do all my treatments this way because it is quick, easy, and doesn't make any mess to clean up afterwards.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Well, usually I start out by sectioning my hair in two halves (middle part) and painting that middle part with a tint brush.

For the second parting, I use the pointy end of the tint brush. I move it back along my scalp, sort of making a parallel "part" to the first one, then paint that.

At this point I often find that the brush is now too thick with goop to use any more, so I dip my finger into the mixture, and try to paint the part with that.

A little falls off and onto my white counter. Holding the spastic-looking parts of my half-hennaed section up with one gloved hand, I hastily swipe at the counter with the other hand, before realizing that that was my "clean" glove. (Not anymore!)

I instinctively grab for the growing red spot on the white counter with the other hand, now freeing the Something-About-Mary hennaed middle section so that it flops down over my face, streaking henna across my nose and somehow or other, splattering some on the floor, but not on the section of the floor I'm standing on--rather, a section of the floor that's like, three feet away. (Don't ask me how this happens.)

Now I'm rushing about like a mad rooster with a drippy muddy poop-looking comb on the top, with toilet paper under one toe to get up the strange three-feet-away splatter and one elbow rubbing a towel across the counter, which successfully spreads that henna stain further.

That's generally when I notice that I chose the wrong towel. I THOUGHT it was my "henna towel" when I reached for it, but no, it's another towel with red on it. Roses, in fact. Oh...my "company is coming" towel. Let's hope no company is coming now as they will, instead, be offered some hennaed toilet paper and one unsoiled finger of a latex glove.

I go back to the mirror. The vision there is frightening. I throw my head forward...and then just start glopping henna on. Fast. Just...anywhere. I moosh it all down there, realize the gloves aren't helping, snap them off and use my fingers, fully realizing that I will now have a "just-got-out-of-the-zoo-and-finished-attacking-something" look to my fingernails until they grow out a month from now.

I rake my fingers through my hair, realizing I'm thoroughly destroying it. Then I glop it all on top and reach for the Saran Wrap. I'm a sucker for punishment, I guess. I wrestle with the wrap, which keeps folding back over itself, and which, when I place it on the back of my head, doesn't stay there for the wrap-around but instead, pulls forward, pasting henna to everything in its path and, yes, spraying more around.

Somehow I throw a bunch of plastic onto my head, disengage it from my fingers which is the one place it DOES stick, and put a WalMart bag over it. As I gaze at the sight in the mirror, I reflect that perhaps I should just put the bag over my entire head. It would look better that way.

I put little bits of Saran Wrap around the earpieces of my glasses because they're metal and I'm afraid they'll turn the hair right over my ears seaweed-colored. I resettle them over my ears, but under the final Turbie Towel, but over the Saran Wrap but under the WalMart bag. (Got all that?) The glasses are now cockeyed, so I can't see particularly well, but without them I can't see at all, so there ya have it.

I hang out. I rinse.

AND IT COMES OUT FREAKING PERFECT EVERY TIME.

Yes. It does. Well, yeah, sometimes it's somewhat streaky in places. But that just sort of makes it look natural. I get good coverage. Do NOT ask me how (well, actually, you can...but I'll just reiterate the instructions above.)

It just...works somehow.

The magic of henna!

(p.s. The reason it looks so uneven in my pic is that only the last few inches are hennaed now; all the rest is my "natural" color. I was growing it out for more than a year but now I'm thinking about it again...God help my white counter!!)

Length
    -/waist/Hip
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by little_cherry View Post
    Personally, I don't do this method (I just glop it on and massage it in),
    I second this. I usually do just roots ang gloss the lenght. I spread the henna paste to my roots by hand and massage it in. I don't do any partings. I just start with the hairline and then add more to my crown area roots. Then I add conditioner to the leftover henna and soak my lenghts with it. Then plastic & towel over my head and a good movie or two.

I mix my henna with chamomille tea, freeze it and then add some warm water to get a rather thin paste.
    every hour wounds, the last one kills

layered waist - almost blunt waist - blunt waist - hip - terminal..
    (hennahead)

Length
    14/35/44
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GlennaGirl View Post
    Well, usually I start out by sectioning my hair in two halves (middle part) and painting that middle part with a tint brush.

For the second parting, I use the pointy end of the tint brush. I move it back along my scalp, sort of making a parallel "part" to the first one, then paint that.

At this point I often find that the brush is now too thick with goop to use any more, so I dip my finger into the mixture, and try to paint the part with that.

A little falls off and onto my white counter. Holding the spastic-looking parts of my half-hennaed section up with one gloved hand, I hastily swipe at the counter with the other hand, before realizing that that was my "clean" glove. (Not anymore!)

I instinctively grab for the growing red spot on the white counter with the other hand, now freeing the Something-About-Mary hennaed middle section so that it flops down over my face, streaking henna across my nose and somehow or other, splattering some on the floor, but not on the section of the floor I'm standing on--rather, a section of the floor that's like, three feet away. (Don't ask me how this happens.)

Now I'm rushing about like a mad rooster with a drippy muddy poop-looking comb on the top, with toilet paper under one toe to get up the strange three-feet-away splatter and one elbow rubbing a towel across the counter, which successfully spreads that henna stain further.

That's generally when I notice that I chose the wrong towel. I THOUGHT it was my "henna towel" when I reached for it, but no, it's another towel with red on it. Roses, in fact. Oh...my "company is coming" towel. Let's hope no company is coming now as they will, instead, be offered some hennaed toilet paper and one unsoiled finger of a latex glove.

I go back to the mirror. The vision there is frightening. I throw my head forward...and then just start glopping henna on. Fast. Just...anywhere. I moosh it all down there, realize the gloves aren't helping, snap them off and use my fingers, fully realizing that I will now have a "just-got-out-of-the-zoo-and-finished-attacking-something" look to my fingernails until they grow out a month from now.

I rake my fingers through my hair, realizing I'm thoroughly destroying it. Then I glop it all on top and reach for the Saran Wrap. I'm a sucker for punishment, I guess. I wrestle with the wrap, which keeps folding back over itself, and which, when I place it on the back of my head, doesn't stay there for the wrap-around but instead, pulls forward, pasting henna to everything in its path and, yes, spraying more around.

Somehow I throw a bunch of plastic onto my head, disengage it from my fingers which is the one place it DOES stick, and put a WalMart bag over it. As I gaze at the sight in the mirror, I reflect that perhaps I should just put the bag over my entire head. It would look better that way.

I put little bits of Saran Wrap around the earpieces of my glasses because they're metal and I'm afraid they'll turn the hair right over my ears seaweed-colored. I resettle them over my ears, but under the final Turbie Towel, but over the Saran Wrap but under the WalMart bag. (Got all that?) The glasses are now cockeyed, so I can't see particularly well, but without them I can't see at all, so there ya have it.

I hang out. I rinse.

AND IT COMES OUT FREAKING PERFECT EVERY TIME.

Yes. It does. Well, yeah, sometimes it's somewhat streaky in places. But that just sort of makes it look natural. I get good coverage. Do NOT ask me how (well, actually, you can...but I'll just reiterate the instructions above.)

It just...works somehow.

The magic of henna!

(p.s. The reason it looks so uneven in my pic is that only the last few inches are hennaed now; all the rest is my "natural" color. I was growing it out for more than a year but now I'm thinking about it again...God help my white counter!!)
    This is my planned method. Right down to the glasses
    Tailbone, with deliciously oily strands...hmm...I should probably take a picture with clean hair. At some point. Next stop, classic! And maybe some henna...