Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried LUSH for hair?

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kleis View Post
    I've been using the new Squeaky Green shampoo bar and it works reallly well for me. I'll buy it again, definitely. They're reformulating most of their bars to be SLS-free and I'm anxiously awaiting the new version of New, their cinnamon bar.

I've never used their henna although looking at it, I agree that it looks like a pain in the butt to use compared to powdered henna. I've used the conditioners, but none of them were right for my hair. The H'suan Wen Hua is lovely and works well, but be prepared for the pumpkin-pie scent to stick around for a while.

Also, if you don't like SLS, it's in H'suan. Doesn't bother me on my length--I just avoid it on my scalp.
    I've yet to see anything SLS free from them. Their "sodium coco sulfate" is STILL SLS, and they're LYING when they say it isn't.

For that reason alone I generally distrust LUSH.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    clssc/clssc/clssc
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    I've yet to see anything SLS free from them. Their "sodium coco sulfate" is STILL SLS, and they're LYING when they say it isn't.

For that reason alone I generally distrust LUSH.
    Lying? Just the first link I found: The Chemistry Store

Sodium Coco Sulfate is a naturally derived alternative to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in flake form. Sodium Coco Sulfate is derived from pure coconut oil. It can be used in a wide variety of personal care applications in which viscosity building and foam characteristics are of importance. The product formulates similar to synthetic alkyl sulfates, but is less defatting to the hair and skin. SCS being less soluble than synthetic alkyl sulfates leaves the skin and hair with a conditioned feel. It can be incorporated into shampoos, hand soaps, bath products, shaving creams and medicated ointments. It is especially useful for opaque, pearlescent, or cream products.
    - Kleis

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kleis View Post
    Lying? Just the first link I found: The Chemistry Store

Sodium Coco Sulfate is a naturally derived alternative to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in flake form. Sodium Coco Sulfate is derived from pure coconut oil. It can be used in a wide variety of personal care applications in which viscosity building and foam characteristics are of importance. The product formulates similar to synthetic alkyl sulfates, but is less defatting to the hair and skin. SCS being less soluble than synthetic alkyl sulfates leaves the skin and hair with a conditioned feel. It can be incorporated into shampoos, hand soaps, bath products, shaving creams and medicated ointments. It is especially useful for opaque, pearlescent, or cream products.
    Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is ALSO naturally derived.

They've got the same chemical #. They're both derived from coconut oil. The ONLY difference is that Sodium Lauryl Sulfate has been purified to remove excess gunk, and that difference ISN'T enough for chemists to consider them two different chemicals, and chemists are pretty fussy about that.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I don't really want henna I must smash with a hammer either. When I have some to use that I only have to mix with water, and it is cheaper.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    clssc/clssc/clssc
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Fine, if the OP has a problem with SLS, she might want to avoid it then. For me, Squeaky Green is a great product. I have had issues with SLS in the past, but I haven't had any with this one at all.
    - Kleis

Quote Originally Posted by Riot Crrl View Post
    I don't really want henna I must smash with a hammer either. When I have some to use that I only have to mix with water, and it is cheaper.
    Fair enough. I don't want to have to mess around with trying a hundred different things before I get the right balance of henna and indigo. Good thing there are options to suit more than one preference.

Length
    Bob/Waist/Ankle
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I don't have any problems with the LUSH shampoos. Ultimate Shine and Gentle Lentil are my faves.

I tried the caca a few years ago. You DO NOT have to smash it with a hammer! I soaked mine in hot water and it softened enough for me to mix it.
    It seemed too heavy for my hair, and it didn't seem to deposit color evenly

45.5" - mid-thigh
    Here I Grow Again
    Amanda

Length
    ?/35/48
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I'm addicted to the Curly Wurly shampoo, my hair really likes it, and I'm glad to hear people like the Squeaky Green bar because I have one I got for free for buying other stuff. I don't think their conditioners are worth the money, I get the same effect from a 99 cent bottle of V05.

Can't help you on the henna. I do love the massage bars though.
    Lady Tockene of the Motherboarde My Albums

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Eurydice View Post
    For reference, the steps to using LUSH henna are:

1. Buy henna.
    2. Put a couple of blocks in plastic bag and smoosh with hammer while pretending henna is your boss.
    3. Mix with warm liquid.
    4. Put on hair.
    5. Profit!

I use the marron and love it. Their shampoos are very nice but the first ingredient is SLS, which irritates my scalp a little. I also like Jungle, their solid conditioner, but I melt a little of it at a time and dilute it with a little jojoba oil and a lot of water.
    I've read on their site about the henna washing out. What is your opinion on that, Eurydice?
    Member of the Official Hair Idiots Club

Quote Originally Posted by BrianaFineHair View Post
    I've read on their site about the henna washing out. What is your opinion on that, Eurydice?
    I'd have one if I could figure out where you read that. Can you give me a link?

Here is the ordering page for the hennas. The individual pages for each color are here, here, here, and here. This page talks about the production, and this page talks about henna in general. The only thing that even looks like "This henna washes out" is this text on the last page:

There is less worry about re-growth as henna fades gradually and there is no obvious root line... [If you don't like the color] You can simply let it fade away with more frequent washing, or try layering it another henna shade to closer match your expectations.
    Contrast this with Catherine's FAQ from hennaforhair.com, about BAQ henna:

Once the henna’s dye has oxidized and reached its final shades, the color is permanently impregnated into the strand. Shampooing, chlorine, blow-drying, will all cause some type of degradation...If you only henna your hair once, it may lighten a few shades from its peak color, but the henna’s essential color will remain until it grows out and is cut off unless it is stripped out with a chemical process.
    So Catherine is more optimistic about the staying power of henna than LUSH, but even she says that washing will "degrade" the color.

Speaking from experience, I've been using LUSH henna for almost a year now, and it certainly hasn't washed out of my hair. I only henna it once a month or so, so the new grey hairs at the crown do get a little lighter; but they don't go back to being grey, and the color on my length isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

People who don't want to use it shouldn't use it, the end. I use it, I love it, it works, it's messy but a lot less trouble than regular dye, and it's done great things for my hair. I look at all the things the people on hennaforhair.com go through with BAQ henna, trying to get the mixes right and deciding on one-step or two-step and adding in every flower and essential oil God made, and I would never in a million years go through that much hassle to color my hair. I'd go back to drugstore dyes first. Fortunately, LUSH has a nice convenient brick of henna that gives me results I love, so that's pretty much the end of the matter for me.