Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How do YOU use Coconut Oil?

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Mostly as a leave-in after washing and conditioning. Sometimes I mist and add some more before I do an updo or braid too but in the winter I use avocado a lot more for that.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    Short/Tlb/Knee?

Lightbulb

Wow! I had no idea you could use coconut for so many things! I need to use it more, looks like. Think I'll try the moisturising leave-in idea first...

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    One of my favorite threads to browse was the coconut oil thread... so here's another!

How do you use coconut oil?

I use it for a bizzilion things!

I like to spread a couple drops on my damp hair and bun it for a big boost of moisture.
    I like to soak my hair in it over night for a deep oil treatment.
    I oil my hands, and run them down my braids to add gloss.
    I slather it on my face for super soft skin the next morning!
    And when I'm gonna be in water, I'll thoroughly oil my hair, then braid it, and oil the braid again... that seems to keep unwanted chemicals out for at least a little while.
    my hair is really greasy as is so i seldom add oil... but there is nothing better for my legs (ive got a skin condition that causes tiny bumps on my skin).. i once tried to put a tiny amount of the oil on my face and woke up with the worst most painful acne on my face... the pimples were deep and im still waiting for them to go away a week later. ugh i look like a highschool freshman with all these zits on my face...
    i do like to sometimes use coconut oil with my camellia oil for a hot oil deep treatment.

ship me back to bahston Patrycja's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL!!/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

I use it in my mister along with aloe,distilled water and a drop of some EO.I'm with the many others that use it for heavy oilings.I prefer a light light oiling of coconut after I wash to anything else.
    Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ShL/WL!!!/Clas.
    Type
    2c/M/ii

My hair doesn't like coconut oil.....and I can't stand the way it smells so I don't use it at all!! Wish I could, though.....
    CaraLynn
    For He's more than just my Saviour, He's my best friend forever, He's the light that's in my soul.

Keeper of the Snowflakes Snowymoon's Avatar
    Length
    19/43/Floor
    Type
    2c/M/ii

My skin loves the stuff. I mix it with a little Sweet Success Oil and add it to my hair in small amounts every now and then.

~*Snowymoon*~

Length
    8/26/33?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I make a mixture of coconut oil with some rose oil in it and use it as a pre-wash conditioner (less than I use pure shea butter, though), and as a leave-in/smoother on my freshly washed, damp hair. For non-hair uses, I use it all over my face and body. I use a lot of high strength chemical exfoliators on my face and the coconut oil with rose is very soothing and healing.

The coconut oil, by the way, is virgin. Refined coconut oil has a completely different (bad) effect on my hair and skin.

Length
    neck/waist/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Here are some interesting articles on the benefits of coconut oil that I had bookmarked:

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

http://www.coconutoil.com/ray_peat_coconutoil.htm
    Last edited by feralnature; March 7th, 2008 at 10:21 PM.

Length
    8/26/33?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by feralnature View Post
    Here is an interesting article on the benefits of coconut oil that I had bookmarked:

http://www.coconutoil.com/ray_peat_coconutoil.htm
    Oooh! Speaking of! I read that and a few other articles on the benefits of coconut oil about a year ago and started taking three tablespoons a day. My body temperature is regularly lower than "average" and I've always had a problem with steady, consistent energy levels. Anyway, after only a couple of weeks, I noticed a HUGE difference in my body temperature (I thought I was going crazy or having hormonal swings for no reason!) and I was no longer practically falling asleep in the afternoon. I found that losing weight got easier, too. I'd read about it and while everything made sense to me, I was skeptical about how it would affect me. I won't go without it now. Also, my cholesterol improved a bit (not much room for improvement, but I did get lab work done that indicated that the coconut oil was definitely NOT adversely affecting me). I won't be without the stuff anymore. Love it.

Length
    neck/waist/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Oooh! Speaking of! I read that and a few other articles on the benefits of coconut oil about a year ago and started taking three tablespoons a day. My body temperature is regularly lower than "average" and I've always had a problem with steady, consistent energy levels. Anyway, after only a couple of weeks, I noticed a HUGE difference in my body temperature (I thought I was going crazy or having hormonal swings for no reason!) and I was no longer practically falling asleep in the afternoon. I found that losing weight got easier, too. I'd read about it and while everything made sense to me, I was skeptical about how it would affect me. I won't go without it now. Also, my cholesterol improved a bit (not much room for improvement, but I did get lab work done that indicated that the coconut oil was definitely NOT adversely affecting me). I won't be without the stuff anymore. Love it.

Stephanie, that is all good to know. I edited to add an additional link , I think we were posting at the same time. I have a friend who has done some research and she claims that coconut oil is responsible for keeping the people of the south seas looking young.