Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: repair and regrowth after brutal assault on hair

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

There are different things you can use to pony your hair safely. For a guy, try cutting up a pair of pantyhose(I'm not inferring that you wear them, LOL) . Cut straight across, about 2" long, and use this 'ring' to pony your hair. Can't get much safer than that.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Yeah what Justgreen said and you can also get some other kinds of safe hair bands at Walmart or any drugstore, just make sure they don't have any metal on them. Be gentle when you put them in and take them out and just don't pull the ponytail too tight. That would be better than letting it hang down but a braid would be even better than that if that is possible or something you would consider. I am not very good at that kind of thing for guys because hardly ANY have longer hair around here! Also if you didn't know already don't brush your hair just either finger comb gently or use a wide tooth seamless comb starting from the ends and working up. There are lots of good tips here on this forum. Good luck!!!

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

As someone with dreadlocks now, I can understand what your hair is going through. Mine is damaged, but I'm in it for the long haul and loving my locks. Was it using wax that caused the problems? Wax is generally a bad product that most people aren't aware of because sites like DreadHeadHQ and Knottyboy are all about selling the wax.

You've been given good, advice, so maybe some small trims over time to get rid damage monthly and using a good, moisturizing natural conditioner. Also oils will do wonder for your hair. HTH and if you have any questions feel free to PM me!
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Thanks, ill try the pantyhose, wont wear them though, well maybe but only on the weeknds LOL.
    I only ever finger detangle, my hair has always been too thick and curly to get a brush through without ripping it out.

I had put the dreads in with backcombing and wax- unfortunetly i got all of my info from Knottyboy. I then a week later discovered a the dread forum on hipforums and found out the truth about wax, it was then i decided to take them out, the trouble came when i was taking them out because the knots tightened and compressed.
    Ive always loved dreads and who knows maybe in the future i might decide to let my hair dread again, but do it naturaly.
    But right now my goal is to repair it, then start growing it again and get to hip length, that was my initial intention. I have alot more appreciation for my hair now, in its long curly undreaded state
    I certainly wont be doing anything unatural to it again LOL

Curlsgirl, i would definately consider a braid, do you think that would be better for it? would the braid not cause pulling?

Length
    20"/42"/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Biotin is supposed to be VERY helpful for hair (and general) health,
    and it is supposed to support hair growth. Maybe you could pick some
    up to help?
    Oil would probably be nice for it.
    I would definitely baby it. A lot.
    ~Ny
    Lady Nynaeve of the Sword in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Inflammatory Breast Cancer - No Lumps, Not detected by mammograms.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=63326

"Some women don't want the land, or gold. Just the man..." ~Nynaeve
    "For in the plot we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget." Evey (V)

Type
    3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by justgreen View Post
    If it were MY hair, I'm mix up a big batch of SMT, slather it on , put on a plastic shower cap, and leave it on for 4 hours or so, then rinse with warm water, followed by a cool rinse to calm the cuticle.

SMT

2 parts non cone conditioner (if you don't have any, just use what you have)
    1 part honey
    1 part clear aloe gel

This can be made without the gel, just use more honey. HOney is a great natural humectant and will flood your hair with moisture, which is what it desperately needs right now.

I always do this after I've washed my hair, then use the SMT as a conditioner.
    I love this stuff. I "doctor" my mix up even a bit more by adding some coconut oil, a small dab of glycerin & few drops of whatever EO I am lovin' at the moment.

HTH

Lady Myhriss of Beauty Afire

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by contortionist View Post
    Curlsgirl, i would definately consider a braid, do you think that would be better for it? would the braid not cause pulling?
    Definitely better for it as it would cut down on the individual hairs rubbing each other and tangling which cause knots and breakage. It also helps protect against the elements. Just be careful about not pulling the scalp too tight and being very gentle as you braid. It is better to cover the ends but I don't know how you could do that. Others might have ideas on this. I would definitely keep the tassle of the braid protected and wear hairsafe bands though!

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

So its been a week since the dread removal and my hair is getting in better condition and appears to be thickening by the day!
    Ive given it a SMT treatment (thanks Justgreen!) a heavy oil treatment with olive oil, and im using cocnut oil daily to keep it moisturised.
    Im also taking sea kelp, and lots of B vits and zinc.
    Ive lost a few curls in the back, but pretty much its just is if my hair has had a quite brutal lairing LOL. the ends look in good shape actually so im not sure whether i will need a trim or not? I know its a bit hard to tell without photos.
    I was also considering going water only to help heal also- do you guys think that would help or hinder at this point?
    I had great success with water only before i dreaded, 4 months water only and my hair was in the best condition it ever had been!

Many thanks