Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard water help?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hard water help?

Sorry AshtangiPNW I didn't see your previous post before typing mine. Citric acid is one of the primary ingredients in Nightblooming's alluvial rinse, so it probably would have a similar beneficial effect for you.

You can easily buy citric acid and ascorbic acid very cheaply - they are the ingredients for miracle water too. The alluvial rinse has many good things going for it, I'm sure (and if I lived in the US I'd definitely consider trying it), but for anyone like me for whom the cost of postage is prohibitive (or you're on a strict budget) making miracle water is a viable alternative. You can also play with the ratios to get the best results for your water and hair, though I would advise making sure to test the pH if you're going to experiment. SHB has a blog post all about pH and hair so you can make informed decisions if you do go down that route.

Citric acid is supposed to soften the water by binding with some of the minerals, and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) neutralises chlorine and chloramine, whichever one is in your water.

Oh my, glacier and spring water invoke images of meadows and heavenly soft hair ... I've actually considered rainwater but that's a whole other area of research, for how to ensure it's clean (insert mental image of algae and drowned insects here ... ) and extra effort. I don't have the energy for that!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Or you could just buy a chelating shampoo. Joico makes a good one, so does Paul Mitchell.

Length
    ~Chin/TBL+/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Sorry AshtangiPNW I didn't see your previous post before typing mine. Citric acid is one of the primary ingredients in Nightblooming's alluvial rinse, so it probably would have a similar beneficial effect for you.

You can easily buy citric acid and ascorbic acid very cheaply - they are the ingredients for miracle water too. The alluvial rinse has many good things going for it, I'm sure (and if I lived in the US I'd definitely consider trying it), but for anyone like me for whom the cost of postage is prohibitive (or you're on a strict budget) making miracle water is a viable alternative. You can also play with the ratios to get the best results for your water and hair, though I would advise making sure to test the pH if you're going to experiment. SHB has a blog post all about pH and hair so you can make informed decisions if you do go down that route.

Citric acid is supposed to soften the water by binding with some of the minerals, and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) neutralises chlorine and chloramine, whichever one is in your water.

Oh my, glacier and spring water invoke images of meadows and heavenly soft hair ... I've actually considered rainwater but that's a whole other area of research, for how to ensure it's clean (insert mental image of algae and drowned insects here ... ) and extra effort. I don't have the energy for that!
    haha, thanks MusicalSpoons That's a great idea to make the miracle water at home for those who are not in the US. As for me, I've hardly made a dent in my small jar so it will be a long, long while before I might even consider making my own. Uff, yes. The holding cistern for the rainwater was underground and I never *actually* looked down there, but I did have a water filter as well. Just in case frogs and other insects found their home down there.... That was also my source of drinking water....

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Or you could just buy a chelating shampoo. Joico makes a good one, so does Paul Mitchell.
    Oh, really? Sounds like it could also be a good idea for those who can use sulfates (alas, my scalp and skin won't tolerate them at all).
    ~Bleach-free from April 2018~*~No trimming~

Length
    20/26.5/32
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Thank you all so much I’ve read the comments and will follow up on the ph and do some trial error with the recommendations- FYI moved from rural Australia to San Antonio America so big changes all round!
    Thanks for link too!!

Length
    20/26.5/32
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Oh I read this site and it mentioned eczema !! Mine has flared up so badly must be the water...

Account Closed by Member Request

I keep it simple. I chelate and that's it. Joico k-pack is a good choice.

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Mine was so bad I invested in a water softener system. Huge difference. But if that’s not an option acv rinses will help.
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Length
    chin/Waist/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

I have hard water and didn't realize it until I kept thinking my hair was dry because it always felt like straw and was frizzy. Nothing ever helped: baking soda, vinegar washes, oils, etc.
    After 1 chelation treatment, my hair was amazingly soft and shiny again!

After the chelating shampoo treatment (from Sally's) I have maintained by distilled water/vinegar water as a final rinse.
    My method:
    1 gallon distilled water with ACV mixed in (mainly to preserve the water). After washing my hair in the shower, I pour the distilled water/ACV into a large container that I got from Ikea. I dunk my head into the container and swish my hair in the water. Then I wrap my hair up in a huge T-shirt and pour the distilled water back into the jug. Every month or so I purchase a new jug of water.

Since the minerals in the hard water are only an issue once the water dries, this is why I continue to use the regular (hard) shower water for washings.

My chelation treatment was done this summer and I have yet to repeat it. My hair is still soft and shiny. :-)

I started growing at chin, grew to my goal of classic, then cut back to waist where I will stay and enjoy for awhile.

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My water is very hard all I use is a chelating shampoo and it helps. When people have very hard to extremely hard water it will always help to chelate in one way or another, some people here wont have water as hard as you or probably harder than yours so always keep that in mind. Look up your area for hardness and PH and always keep track of your hair, if your hair is dry tangly coated mess then it will need to be chelated to get those minerals out of your strands.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyp View Post
    Mine was so bad I invested in a water softener system. Huge difference. But if that’s not an option acv rinses will help.

A water softener does actually help. I live in Dublin which is a very hard water area and getting a water softener has made a huge difference for me. The hair feels much more soft.
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; October 30th, 2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: removed potential spam link