Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biotin and hair shedding

Length
    26/25.5/28
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Biotin and hair shedding

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidKatie View Post
    Sorry if this topic has been covered already, I couldn't find any threads on this subject.

I started taking biotin a month ago because I'm impatient and want to believe that a little vitamin pill will magically make my hair grow like a weed! I'm taking 3mg (3000mcg) but suddenly in the last two weeks I have started shedding what feels like huge amounts of hair. I clogged up the drain when I washed my hair last night (usually takes about three washes to get to that point!)! But hair just seems to be falling out of my head at a much greater rate than before. Could it be the biotin? It's the only thing I've changed diet and lifestyle wise.
    Has anyone else experienced increased shedding when taking biotin? I'm confused because it's supposed to do the opposite!
    Half the dose or take every second day. I looked up overdosing on it and couldn't find much on google. But if you have any kind of kidney issues or a family history of issues then don't over do anything. Kidneys are vital organs and making them work unnecessarily is not good.

What I'd also look at is birth control issues (have you gone off or on it lately?). Are you drinking enough water. Are you eating enough protein.
    Hair September 2015

Length
    16/24/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Biotin and hair shedding

Thanks everyone

It's not spring shedding because I'm in Australia and it's just turned autumn :P
    I'm not on birth control either..
    I did do some googling before I started taking it and I didn't read anything about adverse reactions or overdosing. Many people even take 10mg consistently with enhanced hair growth.

But for now I have stopped taking it and will wait to see if the shedding eases back to normal, as it's the only thing that has changed. I'll read the links posted.. It's just so annoying that vitamins can be sold at such high doses without having to see a naturopath or something when they can have such adverse effects! The pill is so tiny I don't think it could be cut up. (And for the record, I don't honestly think a vitamin will make my hair grow crazy - I said I wanted to believe that something like that could. I'm sure we've all been wishful at some point when it comes to growing hair!)